Status
Not open for further replies.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple pictures I took today.

173d19f5d04892909336ab80a66d094b.jpg
210d08a23882458afa9554d56e3ea72a.jpg
2bd4a9c7551f9d15b2dc501f5168373a.jpg

Bump bump bump. Love the Hound Dog Super.

Mine does not get enough usage. Maybe I should take her for a spin one of these days. What a nice outdoor walking light.
And so professional business looking.

Get one, this will ensure nobody on your block has one.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of today, my collection of Malkoff lights/dropins is officially "sufficient".

I've got the neutral MDC AA. This is my primarily my backup light since it clips so nicely into my front pocket. It's also my travel light since I can use common batteries and not worry about keeping a charger. My only complaint is the PWM. I notice it, but I can live with it.

I've got the M61 219B in my MD2. I should have gotten the M61L 219B instead, but this is fine. This is my workhorse light. 2 modes and plenty of run time for my meager needs.

I've got the M61 is my 6P. This is the module that came in my MD2, but I like it here better.

I've got the M31LL in a VME head on a Lumens Factory e1 body. I got the M31LL as an anniversary gift from my wife (she asked me what I wanted...) and it was fun to feed it various batteries until I realized how much current it pulled from 1.2v. Now I'm feeding it 3v. I've never purchased a CR123A in my life, but I have a dozen or so that came with lights. I'll eventually have do decide if I want to keep feeding it CR123A or invest in a 2AA body for it...but that's years away at this rate.

My M61WLL is in a Nextorch plastic host which is a convenient beater for around the house. It is strangely satisfying in the hand.

And today I received the M61LLL 219B for my Lumens Factory e2 body. Identical beam and output as the M31LL, but I can run it forever on a 16650 cell. I expect this to be a another work horse light for me like the MD2. I find it more comfortable in hand than both the MD2 and the LF e1 with VME.

I now have a module in every host I want to have ready, hence my collection is "sufficient". However, when the opportunity presents itself (typically when my wife buys a new pair of shoes or a purse), I will probably pick up a M61NL or M61NLL and a Surefire G2. Despite having 3 of the 219B modules, the Malkoff neutral is my favorite, but it's close.

Edit: spelling

--flatline

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of today, my collection of Malkoff lights/dropins is officially "sufficient".

It's great stuff. Many flashoholics might even be surprised as to how broadly useful those modules are. But still, I'd recommend at least a Hound Dog 18650 head to lego with your MD2. It's extremely well suited to use outdoors. Just a thought.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of much better than M61LL in the sense of the pattern is different, sure the lumens are low and spread thin, which is what you want actually for low consumption emergency device. I run it in a FiveMega 3x123 body with 18500s.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preference is M61NLL over Illumin 219B IMO
Silicone grease stays "put" under heat, where Nano tends to migrate out. Either of the two is better than nothing 😎

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, M61NLL is likely a better tint than M61LLL 219B, I am not really all that thrilled with its tint *but* the pattern is nice - more floody than M61LL.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, M61NLL is likely a better tint than M61LLL 219B, I am not really all that thrilled with its tint *but* the pattern is nice - more floody than M61LL.

I have roughly identical beams from my M61 219B, M61LLL 219B, and M31LL 219B. Are you saying that you M61LLL has a floodier beam than the other 219B modules? Or are you saying that all the 219B modules have floodier beams than the standard M61 modules?

--flatline

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my MDC 1-CR123 with a VME Head and an M361N for almost 2 months now for work and I can't say enough about how great of a little light this is! It's almost the perfect combo for me. The U/I took a little getting to used to and that's the only drawback I see. I wrapped it with paracord today and I've had the lanyard on for a while. This is hands down one of my favorite EDC lights. The 16340 has decent life too and I can always throw in a CR123 if I get in a pinch.

b1zzpZg.jpg

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiftdT4R,
I don't suppose you have a youtube channel showing how you started and ended wrapping the paracord on your light, made the first knot, and then made the 2nd knot...
I don't know much about paracord use, and am still grateful to the CPFer who recently posted photos of how to tie a "Marlinspike Hitch".

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice Mr. Fixer. I am really digging the MDC form. I don't know if it's enough to get me away from my MD1 and MD2 but I'll be carrying it for the foreseeable future!

novice, I don't but I think some folks already have them. They are actually 2 separate knots but done in the same color. I tied the lanyard first and it is from Stormdrane's blog which I'm addicted to:

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2011/05/adjustable-paracord-wrist-lanyard.html

I just tied 1 celtic button knot instead of 2 like he shows.

After that I did the wrap. I removed the inner strands form the paracord so it lays nice and flat. It's just your standard wrap and the video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtyjrKwviA

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The paracord is an interesting concept. maybe I should try it.

This way in a pinch, you always have paracord handy.

BTW, MD2 with a Z41 tailcap is not much bigger than what you have. Very marginally larger.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using my MDC 1-CR123 with a VME Head and an M361N for almost 2 months now for work and I can't say enough about how great of a little light this is! It's almost the perfect combo for me. The U/I took a little getting to used to and that's the only drawback I see. I wrapped it with paracord today and I've had the lanyard on for a while. This is hands down one of my favorite EDC lights. The 16340 has decent life too and I can always throw in a CR123 if I get in a pinch.

b1zzpZg.jpg

Does the M361N have the same PWM for the low modes that the MDC head has?

I've been assuming it has the same PWM as my MDC AA head which is why I've ignored it.

BTW, i love seeing these lights with some wear on them. A pristine malkoff just looks wrong somehow...

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.