The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it does but I can't notice it at all. Thanks!! I have a couple that are more beat up. We should do a show us your well used Malkoffs thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the 1x AA MDC Lift'd for things I used to use an incan Solitaire for. Much easier to turn it on, has the match stick bright at start up yet has a 9 lumen for a bit more distance at 2am and if need be the 90 is a pretty good output.

Sure it's a big ole chunky single battery light but at 2am if that bump in the night turned out to be a foe it makes a mighty fine David vs Goliath tool.

Gurdygurd mentioned the plumbing fixture o'ring idea at the tail and my gosh that really adds confidence to using it with winter dry skin or summer sweaty for that matter.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it does but I can't notice it at all. Thanks!! I have a couple that are more beat up. We should do a show us your well used Malkoffs thread.

Sadly, all my Malkoffs still look perfect. Clearly I'm doing it wrong...

--flatline

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the M361N have the same PWM for the low modes that the MDC head has?

I've been assuming it has the same PWM as my MDC AA head which is why I've ignored it.

BTW, i love seeing these lights with some wear on them. A pristine malkoff just looks wrong somehow...

--flatline

361 does have PWM for the low mode at least. The good news is, its completely invisible. I tried really hard to see it. I don't. I cannot tell any difference between it and M61LL for example.

The only way to tell is to look at a fan.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, all my Malkoffs still look perfect. Clearly I'm doing it wrong...

--flatline

Mine too. One of my tricaps picked up a ding while rolling around in my flashlight drawer.

I'm still grieving.

A few nights ago, I was leaving the house to walk my dog, holding her leash and my new MD2 in the same hand. She took off and yanked the leash, launching the flashlight- which bounced off a rock onto the concrete. If there's a scratch on it, I can't find it! I'm sure it caught a lucky bounce, but still.... pretty amazing durability! :twothumbs

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
PWM is not a bug, it's a feature. Look at a fan in the car and you see something amazing. I tried the shower trick but didn't really see anything.

The frequency is way too high to detect it with the eye.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
PWM is not a bug, it's a feature. Look at a fan in the car and you see something amazing. I tried the shower trick but didn't really see anything.

The frequency is way too high to detect it with the eye.

Then it must be a higher frequency than the MDC AA uses because I notice it any time I move the MDC's beam quickly or something passes through the beam quickly.

--flatline

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M361 uses a flicker rate of 310 Hz. The human eye cannot see anything above about 100 Hz, maybe 150 Hz at most. Cheaper lights like Fenix L0D are about 120 Hz if I recall correctly, or something close to that. Though in all honesty I cannot see 150Hz either.

Anyway, 310 Hz is above the threshold where most people can see it. If nobody tells you M361 has PWM, you will never know. You do not see it in normal usage. Unless you work 100% in running showers. And even then it's Uber cool. when I saw that, I was amazed.

If you put this in their heads that they can see PWM, they will see 1200 Hz also, or think that they do, which is not physically possible, unless in very specific conditions, not walking through the woods at night.

The statement I can see PWM is meaningless because it does not qualify what frequency they can see.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M361 uses a flicker rate of 310 Hz. The human eye cannot see anything above about 100 Hz, maybe 150 Hz at most. Cheaper lights like Fenix L0D are about 120 Hz if I recall correctly, or something close to that. Though in all honesty I cannot see 150Hz either.

Anyway, 310 Hz is above the threshold where most people can see it. If nobody tells you M361 has PWM, you will never know. You do not see it in normal usage. Unless you work 100% in running showers. And even then it's Uber cool. when I saw that, I was amazed.

If you put this in their heads that they can see PWM, they will see 1200 Hz also, or think that they do, which is not physically possible, unless in very specific conditions, not walking through the woods at night.

The statement I can see PWM is meaningless because it does not qualify what frequency they can see.

Well, nobody told me the MDC AA uses PWM, and yet I see it reliably. It's my only complaint about the light. It doesn't reduce the utility of the light, but it's distracting.

--flatline

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, why do you need the MCD AA light when there are so many other fine cnoices available?

Just go straight for the MD2 M61 "HOT" -- if you don't already have it -- you won't be disappointed.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Malkoff products for many years. This is a first for me. Has this ever happened to anybody? I am kind of bummed out since this is a limited run M61-XML-2 5000k drop-in.

I dropped my flashlight and I hear rattling. It turns out the reflector popped out of place. The drop-in still functions.

rswhgx.jpg

33wab69.jpg

1zwd8g2.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a dab of five minute epoxy would do the trick. If you're not comfortable doing the procedure yourself, I have every confidence that Gene will take care of you.

Edit: I've never seen one of those drop ins before. What is the input voltage?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the m61 T6 xml-2 5000k had the voltage range of a regular m61. The unique thing is that there are not many XM-L leds in the Malkoff drop-in line up with this voltage range.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the m61 T6 xml-2 5000k had the voltage range of a regular m61. The unique thing is that there are not many XM-L leds in the Malkoff drop-in line up with this voltage range.

Indeed. I'm not aware of any. In fact, I believe all of the current drop ins use either the XPG2 or the XPL.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ouch ! ... but yes, I'm sure Malkoff will help you get things sorted.

I think I have read of loose optic before, but i can't recall seeing a loose reflector :thinking:

This is the info I have in my database for that rare dropin ...

M61XMLT6 (running XML2 despite the label) / 3.4-9v / ~300 lm

Status
Not open for further replies.