The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting tired, so i don't know if this is directed at me or if you're just going into more detail for the newbies.

INFRNL, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear; I was directing my comments towards some of the newbies in this thread.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my Hound Dog Neutral (MD4) today. I'm normally a neutral/warm guy, but I don't think I'm a fan of this tint..

It's just a little too pale yellow/green for my taste. I'm trying to decide if I want to ask Gene if I can swap for a cool white HD, or maybe go with the WC V6 instead...

Does anybody have some outdoor beamshots of the HD cool or maybe a post # that I can reference?

Thanks so much!

I am surprised that you do not like the tint.
Without looking it up, i can't recall if the hd cool white is 5700k or 6200k

The wildcat in neutral is a warm 4000k (lots of warm yellow)
I'd have to fire them all up to remember.

I'd love to post some shots for you but i am horrible at it and only have a phone camera. But i would be willing to try to at least get you an idea of the differences. Not sure how many people own all the variations you are interested in. If different people post different shots, it might not give you the proper results to make a decision.

I do know that if you aren't happy, Gene will work with you to make it right. That would just mean you need to know exactly what you are going to want.(which is obviously what you are trying to accomplish)

I will see what i can come up with later today but no promises as my pics never show what I really see

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
INFRNL, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear; I was directing my comments towards some of the newbies in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification, i figured this much but it threw me off because you quoted my post...plus it's way past my bedtime :sleepy::D

Also, if you want a 21700 body for malkoff, there is a member here that can make you one but i don't think it'll be cheap.i was going to do it a while ago but decided against it

Last edited:

AndrwTNT

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised that you do not like the tint.
Without looking it up, i can't recall if the hd cool white is 5700k or 6200k

The wildcat in neutral is a warm 4000k (lots of warm yellow)
I'd have to fire them all up to remember.

I'd love to post some shots for you but i am horrible at it and only have a phone camera. But i would be willing to try to at least get you an idea of the differences. Not sure how many people own all the variations you are interested in. If different people post different shots, it might not give you the proper results to make a decision.

I do know that if you aren't happy, Gene will work with you to make it right. That would just mean you need to know exactly what you are going to want.(which is obviously what you are trying to accomplish)

I will see what i can come up with later today but no promises as my pics never show what I really see
I was surprised too. The XM-L is something I tend to stay away from but I figured I might luck out with a good bin, but unfortunately it isn't for me. Just too much green.

The cool looks to be 6200k so that might be a tad too cool for me personally but may be better in comparison. The beam itself it beautiful! If only it had the XPG2 used in the M61N... :p

The beamshots of the WC from earlier in the thread looks wonderful, but if I don't go for the cool HD or a WC, I might just get another M61N and use it in the MD4 with x2 18650..

Now I'm just thinking out loud lol... I'll give Gene a call Monday and see what we can do. Any cool HD shots in the meantime would be much appreciate!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I know gene is a busy guy but if he were to put up beam shots of his lights it sure would help out a lot. I love the color of my neutral 18650 hd. So ordered his M61N. It's nice but it is no where near the color of my HD.diferent led is why is my guess. But for those still learning or are on the fence as to what there looking for it would be a big help.

doctordun

Enlightened
I asked Gene about this, just to make sure. He replied that the Hound Dog 18650 that I have will work only with one 18650 battery. Period. That is what it was designed for.
However, from what I read, it does have a MD2 Body which other heads will work with, so I have possibilities. Fun.

doctordun

Enlightened
What is a MDC body versus a MD2 body? I have the Hound Dog 18650 and it has the MD2 body.
I was hoping to get the Bodyguard V2 Head, but it seems to require an MDC Body.
Both heads use the same 18650 battery, but different bodies?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I asked Gene about this, just to make sure. He replied that the Hound Dog 18650 that I have will work only with one 18650 battery. Period. That is what it was designed for.
However, from what I read, it does have a MD2 Body which other heads will work with, so I have possibilities. Fun.

You can run up to 6 volts with your 18650HD.its rated up to 6 volts. It's just that it performs much better with a 18650.but you could use 2 primary 123 batteries with no problem runtime would be short on high.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What is a MDC body versus a MD2 body? I have the Hound Dog 18650 and it has the MD2 body.
I was hoping to get the Bodyguard V2 Head, but it seems to require an MDC Body.
Both heads use the same 18650 battery, but different bodies?

The mdc stuff is basically like surefire E series. Your md2 has a much larger diameter. There not interchangeable

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
You can run up to 6 volts with your 18650HD.its rated up to 6 volts. It's just that it performs much better with a 18650.but you could use 2 primary 123 batteries with no problem runtime would be short on high.

I was wondering if 2 CR123A cells would be okay. Now that I know I can use them in a pinch this light is looking much more appealing.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if 2 CR123A cells would be okay. Now that I know I can use them in a pinch this light is looking much more appealing.

Yes, it will work. However, the current draw will crush the CR123's in short order, if not over heat them. One would be well advised to run the light on low beam only when powering the flashlight on CR123's.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took my M61WLL out of my Blackhawk polymer host because it was making the flashlight too heavy. Is it really necessary to make the low power drop-ins so massive when they barely generate any heat?

Maybe I'll start a thread for low power single-mode dropins...

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think it's because he uses the same heat sink for all. That way there is no need to design another one. Also the diameter of the drop in can't get any smaller so he would have to remove material from inside it somewhere. Brass is heavy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
An aluminum shell would be an interesting option for the low power modules.
I seem to recall that the very very earliest modules, or maybe just the prototype, had an aluminum heatsink.

I think there is (or was) a photo of this somewhere on CPF, but I don't have time to search for that link, at the moment.

bignc

Enlightened
OK Fine. I am seeing a spot for the 18650 HD- MAYBE. I prefer ONE or 2 cell hosts- thsi way I only have 3 battery types to fool with 16650, 18650 and CR123 (ok, ok 16340 as well.) I have resisted the MD3 body for this reason- not wanting to add 18500 cells. (although, crap- they'd work in my MD1.5....)

Anyway, DOES a HD 18650 N throw better/ tighter / further than my M91T? OR do I have to go regular HD or Super (Neutral only, please?) Last night I was trying to decide if there was a FOX or a RACOON in the field. Until it turned away I saw eyeballs and the grass around it. Once it turned, I only saw the outline. This is at maybe 100 yds.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
An aluminum shell would be an interesting option for the low power modules.

It would be a good option for all modules regardless of power level.

It's very dependent on specific grades when comparing, but in general, aluminum has a considerably higher thermal conductivity than brass. That would be a good thing.

Electrical conductivity (again generalized) is also much better for aluminum vs brass. So, why aren't we getting modules made out of aluminum? I don't know the inner workings of the MXX modules but perhaps it has something to do with soldering, as brass is easier than aluminum?

Just look at the Oveready triple dropins for reassurance. 3500L and an aluminum housing.

What we need is a special run of modules made with copper!

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
It would be a good option for all modules regardless of power level.

It's very dependent on specific grades when comparing, but in general, aluminum has a considerably higher thermal conductivity than brass. That would be a good thing.

Electrical conductivity (again generalized) is also much better for aluminum vs brass. So, why aren't we getting modules made out of aluminum? I don't know the inner workings of the MXX modules but perhaps it has something to do with soldering, as brass is easier than aluminum?

Just look at the Oveready triple dropins for reassurance. 3500L and an aluminum housing.

What we need is a special run of modules made with copper!

I am weird as I like the heavy solid feel of brass. However, The Elzetta Charlie uses aluminum and it is amazing how the aluminum body pulls heat into it when draining a set of CR123A's

Status
Not open for further replies.