The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Hound Dog 18650. Would I benefit at all getting a M61HOT head?

Anyway, DOES a HD 18650 N throw better/ tighter / further than my M91T? OR do I have to go regular HD or Super (Neutral only, please?).

I have the Hounddog V3 Neutral and the M91T (similar to M61HOT) and I have found that the HD has a more even beam and puts slightly more lumens down range than the M91T however the M91T has more spill, which seems bizarre as it has a T.I.R. lens, but a much tighter hot spot.

Overall the main difference is the size of the two lights not their performance.

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
16665fa6e1048529928ddf01bd52ebbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, DOES a HD 18650 N throw better/ tighter / further than my M91T? OR do I have to go regular HD or Super (Neutral only, please?)...

The regular Hound Dog (XML) has the same output, beam profile, and throw of the 18650 version. The major difference has to do with run time and regulation. I've never understood why they have different candela specs on the website. I can't tell the difference between the two even when I hold them side by side and squint.

The spill of the T series modules is wider, but much dimmer than that of the Hound Dog. In my opinion, the Hound Dog has the advantage due to the balanced beam pattern. It still has a very useful beam even in low mode, whereas the T series modules produce a small, dim spot that's useless for outdoor navigation.

I have a Hound Dog 18650. Would I benefit at all getting a M61HOT head?

You will reap a benefit in terms of portability, but the HD 18650 head is the real performer, at least in my opinion.

doctordun

Enlightened
Thank you all in this forum. I learn from the masters. I am but a small grasshopper, basking in all of your radiant knowledge.

So, if an M61Hot is too close to what I already have, perhaps a Bodyguard V2?? Would that pair with my Hound Dog 18650?

AndrwTNT

Newly Enlightened
Talked to Gene today. I think I may swap my HD Neutral for either a Super or just get another M61N and use it on the MD4 for longer runtime.

Question though.. Am I understanding right that you can get a 22.3 MDX head and use, say, a M61N drop-in in there?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can request a 22.3 head, all of the m61/m91 modules will fit in it. It will give you more spill without affecting anything else.

If you get a super, be cautious because there are rings in the beam when you shine it on an object. This is because of the optic lens of the light. Not sure if this will bother you or not.

You can look at the pics on the site, it will give you an idea. However, keep in mind the beam isn't as ugly as the picture shows, but its not flawless either.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of identifying drop-ins, I remembered that I had some small waterslide decals so, I can now view the name without having to remove the drop-in from the lights.

47847995481_2440e0995a_b.jpg

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yes, it will work. However, the current draw will crush the CR123's in short order, if not over heat them. One would be well advised to run the light on low beam only when powering the flashlight on CR123's.

Thanks for the info. I think I will get the HD XM-L Neutral with the MD4 body next.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of identifying drop-ins, I remembered that I had some small waterslide decals so, I can now view the name without having to remove the drop-in from the lights.

Dave D, that is a really neat idea. Could you give me the approximate size of those decals, and a good internet source so that I can get small sheets of mostly letters and numerals, without a lot of other extraneous markings? (aircraft roundels, etc.)

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave D, that is a really neat idea. Could you give me the approximate size of those decals, and a good internet source so that I can get small sheets of mostly letters and numerals, without a lot of other extraneous markings? (aircraft roundels, etc.)

They are my own decals that I produce for the registration numbers on custom 1/43 scale model cars that I build.

If you PM me you details I'll send you some.

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened
Well done, Dave. :)

I just use a paint pen and write it on the head if needed. For me though, I place my lights where they need to be- so for indoor use, LL lights and for outdoor use, M91T for distance (for now) and M61 219b for mid range. Then carry, back pack and bedside lights with appropriate drop-ins and battery combos for the task.

Although, I am hurting Gene's feelings right now- using an incan solitaire as my midnight bathroom light and using the Elektro Lumens EDC MC-E with the handgun for those purposes on the bedside table. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.