The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to avoid confusion:

LU60 - mates the 951 to standard bezels, does not fit drop ins natively
LU60A - mates scout (E series) bodies to standard bezels, does fit drop ins natively

aha, my mistake. you'll need a spring with the LU60A then. (it's the e2c adapter with the a P/C series head)

Craig

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my M60NLLL from Overready yesterday, and dropped it in a G3 with 2xAA. I have cool, warm, and 'HCRI' Malkoffs, but this is my first 'neutral' drop-in. These days I definitely prefer warmer tints to cooler ones, but I have to say, this is a lovely tint, and even starting out with it 'out of regulation', an M60LLL provides plenty of light for a dark house. I would be tempted to compare it to an M60LLL 219 from IlluminationSupply, but I'm having a hard time justifying the 'unnecessary' spending. How wonderful it is that in addition to Malkoff units even existing, we have special variants available for purchase. We really are 'spoiled' being able to buy these.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
just jumped on the bandwagon (a little late) with my first- an M61- 219

now Im looking for the smallest possible single 16340 or 18350 twisty host :)
took me a while but Im happy to be a member of the club!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, Im considering a flat 123 tube & VME head.

I'm a noob to the malkoff system though and was wondering-
Can a lo/hi ring be used with the 123twisty?

If so I'm going to post a WTB for a 123flat twisty as they are out of stock.

if anyone reading this has a beat up VME or 123flat they wanna sell pm me ;)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, Im considering a flat 123 tube & VME head.

I'm a noob to the malkoff system though and was wondering-
Can a lo/hi ring be used with the 123twisty?

If so I'm going to post a WTB for a 123flat twisty as they are out of stock.

if anyone reading this has a beat up VME or 123flat they wanna sell pm me ;)

The ring only works in the MD2 head. sorry!

Craig

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm -
Have any of u guys sanded down a regular p60 drop to fit VME?

I started a thread in the machining sect but figured I ask here too.

Also wondering if the VME fits a TL20 body. Kinda diggin the 18350 for factor.

Cheers!

ToNIX

Enlightened
just jumped on the bandwagon (a little late) with my first- an M61- 219

now Im looking for the smallest possible single 16340 or 18350 twisty host :)
took me a while but Im happy to be a member of the club!
It's never too late, but you will regret all the money wasted on past lights you bought before :D

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hmm -
Have any of u guys sanded down a regular p60 drop to fit VME?

I started a thread in the machining sect but figured I ask here too.

Also wondering if the VME fits a TL20 body. Kinda diggin the 18350 for factor.

Cheers!

VME bezel is "E-series" compatible .... IIRC, Moddoolar tubes require (separate) adapters to convert to "E-series", "C-series", or "M-series" threads.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a 3D-4D Maglite XM-L drop-in. Ordered it first before posting here. Didn't know if it was up yet so had to get in first. Last time I checked was 2 weeks ago when the XP-G's went on special.

It's going in my 3D as it says:
4 cells will not increase runtime or brightness over 3 cells (just more waste heat)
I'll keep the XP-G drop-in in the 4D. Now I have an uneven number D-cells.

700 lumens OTF and 2.6A. I wonder if it'll melt the reflector?

I was saving up for series of Zebralights and then this gets in the way ...

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the issue is that the current reflector was designed specifically for the emission profile of the XP-G. The result is that the slightly different profile of the Nichia 219 causes some undesirable artifacts in the beam such as the ring that is found near the outside of the spill. A redesigned reflector would eliminate these artifacts and smooth out the beam to consist of an optimal hot spot and transition to spill.

I have the Malkoff 219 and I don't notice any beam issues at all when using the light outside. But, as flashlight geeks we tend to do a lot of white wall hunting which reveals these minor issues.

Also, Malkoff owners have been spoiled for a long time because of the impeccable beam pattern typically seen in the modules.

can someone explain what design the reflector/optic would have to be more ideal for the Nichia?

dirtech

Enlightened
The outer ring is not an issue. I would like to see more throw. I love the flood, but I'm up for another with some reach.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah- just got my m60-219 and can't see the ring unless I shine on a wall 3ft or closer.

I was planning on using this in a VME w 123 flat body but in my ignorance didn't
realize that the VME dosent work w hi/lo ring.

I may have to sell my m60-219 & get a regular 2mode 219drop from Vinh or NB.

I'll run er for a bit & see if I can get used to single mode ;)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had the opportunity to handle more than one of the 219 malkoff modules and the beams were outstanding even with the minor ring issue. To me, the ring is a non issue.

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beam shots of m61 219's in different output levels? i am trying to decide between the m61 and and m61L

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the XM-L drop in for 3-4D Mags. Reading the description, it says that there's no change in runtime/output if a 4D is used. It also says it's just more heat.

"4 cells will not increase runtime or brightness over 3 cells (just more waste heat)."

I don't really understand that part.

flashflood

Enlightened
I just ordered the XM-L drop in for 3-4D Mags. Reading the description, it says that there's no change in runtime/output if a 4D is used. It also says it's just more heat.

"4 cells will not increase runtime or brightness over 3 cells (just more waste heat)."

I don't really understand that part.

I don't understand that either, and for me it's disqualifying. What is he using for the driver, a shunt resistor? No quality driver would have this property.

I'm bummed because I'd been waiting for the XM-L drop-in. Now I'm inclined not to bother.

Gene43

Enlightened
The driver in the XM-L Mag dropin is a simple and robust low dropout constant current regulator. Any excess voltage over and above what is needed for the LED is eliminated as heat. A traditional buck regulator capable of the high current needed to adequately drive the XM-L will not fit in the limited space of the Mag Dropin. The current seen at the tailcap is the current seen by the LED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.