The Outdoorsman E1L

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1L. In a ceiling bounce test the "45 lumen" high is indistinguishable from the NovaTac 85 @ 85 lumens. The "3 lumen" low is really more like 10 lumens.

I haven't done runtimes, but there are a couple of threads here where I believe it was concluded that the E1L will do about 4-4.5 hours at full output on "hi", then fall out of regulation. The low will go for about 36-38 hours.

This is a good light. It is more of a mid-range thrower, and doesn't have much spill, but if you like the light, it shoudl be a good choice for camping and hiking, with the caveat that it doesn't have a very low low.

As a matter of fact, I did get mine from LA Police Gear, it was the dual level cree model, and yes, they do throw in SureFire batteries. I think I have a current coupon, you can PM me.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the run time for the output of the E1L is great. Not sure I would run it for 4 hours straight on high and batteries are cheap & easy to pack.

Low is plenty bright enough for getting around a campsite etc

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and like my E1L, and even thoh you mentioned 1 cell lights, and all the talk of the uncertain "runtime on high", I think the E2L may suit your needs better for a camping light. The runtime plots on the E2L are exactly in line with SF's...on high, you get 11 hours of 60 Lumen right on the money...as said before, the E2L is possibly the best regulated (comercially available) light in existence. So, if you want to know how much runtime you'll get, this is for you. 100 hours on 3 lumens is hard to beat as well. But, I don't think you'd be dissappointed in the E1L either...I'm not!

Big fan of the E2L here as well - had both, kept my E2L.

Its my favorite Surefire E/L TIR I own or have owned, and I've owned pretty much all of them at one point... Just cant beat that run time.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A clearer picture:

5vrl9t.jpg

:wave:

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Nice shot! It is funny how the E1L and E1B are so similar and yet have two different roles. I am still going thinking the E1L is the way I will go, I would like to have a 1 cell light in my little SF club and it sounds like it is a lot of light packed in a small package :) Yall are a supper help!

derangboy

Enlightened
I've had mine for a few years (KL1 head, single output) with absolutely no problems! It's a great light!

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Ok, E1L it is but what is the title for the 45/3L cree version? I see on several sites that they are listed as the E1L outdoorsman Gen. 2...would that be the correct version?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
The new dual mode version has the KX1 head, I don't know if that's unique to this two mode one or not.

If it lists the output as 45/3 lumens it should be the correct version.

As far as I know there has only been one dual mode version of the E1L.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Ok, what got confusing is that some sites list the 3L low but don't list what the high settings is and I thought there was a 30L high version out there somewhere. Thanks

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 2 months ago I was contemplating between an E1B or E1L while waiting for LX1. I made up my mind to get E1B and bought the silver one. Today, after reading all these postings about E1L, I was all fired up to again look into the E1L. Went all the way down to the dealer and was surprised to find that they had sold out all the stock.

The new one should state "Dual Output" on the packaging.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Haha...sorry...although another SF is always welcome :) Ya they say duel output but I was in a store yesterday and they had an E2L that said 30L? Crazy! So I just wanted to make sure there was not some other model. I will be going with the E1L mainly because I have a defensive/tactical light for EDC that being the E2DL so I am after longer run time now. The E1B is a nice light for its purpose...you will like it!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new dual mode version has the KX1 head, I don't know if that's unique to this two mode one or not.

If it lists the output as 45/3 lumens it should be the correct version.

As far as I know there has only been one dual mode version of the E1L.

Correct...the orininal KL1 was 13 lumens, then 30, then in 07 (I believe) came the single stage 45 lumen, and in 08 the 3/45 lumen KX1 came out. Mind you, these are just the model numbers for the heads that were used with the E1L.

Hope this helps clarify models, etc.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Angelofwar..that does! Basically you have to look for KX1 and duel output and it would be the right one :) Super!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha...sorry...although another SF is always welcome :) Ya they say duel output but I was in a store yesterday and they had an E2L that said 30L? Crazy! So I just wanted to make sure there was not some other model. I will be going with the E1L mainly because I have a defensive/tactical light for EDC that being the E2DL so I am after longer run time now. The E1B is a nice light for its purpose...you will like it!

The E2L with the second gen KL2 (Not the current KX2) was 30 lumens. Sounds they that store has some old stock they need to get rid of.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 2 months ago I was contemplating between an E1B or E1L while waiting for LX1. I made up my mind to get E1B and bought the silver one. Today, after reading all these postings about E1L, I was all fired up to again look into the E1L. Went all the way down to the dealer and was surprised to find that they had sold out all the stock.

The new one should state "Dual Output" on the packaging.

pjandyho... just happened the same here!

This thread shows me that I need to have a SF E1L. I like it´s size and natural HA. It will make pair with my silver E1B! Looks like a winner and I´m almost buying it... :sssh:

Kilovolt: thanks for the picture! Ciao!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, E1L it is but what is the title for the 45/3L cree version? I see on several sites that they are listed as the E1L outdoorsman Gen. 2...would that be the correct version?

Congrats on your decision - you will love it!!!

MAKE SURE YOU ALSO GET AN F04 DIFFUSER TO GO ALONG WITH IT - they are worth their weight in gold :twothumbs

Just a thought:

If youre not in a rush, want to save a few bucks and support the community here, you may want to post a "Want To Buy" over in the Marketplace... I'd be surprised if this didnt net you one within a few days.

I havent had to purchase a Surefire from a retailer in well over a year and a half now.

EDIT: In addition to an F04 - I'd also reccomend seeing if you can pick up a Z61 or E2DL tail for the E1L - it isnt the prettiest, but adds tailstanding and makes holding the E1L MUCH nicer since its less likely to slip out of your hand due to the flared tail. Its also adds attachment points for a lanyard. The E1L is a smaaaaaaaaall light! I have this setup on my E2L and love it.

photo-11.jpg

photo-10.jpg

Last edited:

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Well, sounds like other are enjoying this thread as well...that is great!
Bullfrog: thanks for the photos, that is the same tailcap that the E2DL has?? Yes, I hear nothing but praise form the F04 users so that will have to be added to the list. Would it work well on the E2DL?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, sounds like other are enjoying this thread as well...that is great!
Bullfrog: thanks for the photos, that is the same tailcap that the E2DL has?? Yes, I hear nothing but praise form the F04 users so that will have to be added to the list. Would it work well on the E2DL?

This is a great thread! The E series and L series are what started me on this hobby :tinfoil:

Yes, that is the same tail as is on the E2DL - it is interchangeable with the E1L, E2L, E2DL and E1B. I read that you also have an E2DL - if you leave it at home while camping, just throw its tail on your E1L and you are set! Youll love the ergos it adds. The E1L tail will also work on the E2DL. SUREFIRE LEGO!

There is also the Z68 tail cap that is just like the E2DL tail, except it doesnt have the scallops - it looks SICK on the E1B:

base_media

Yes, the F04 will work on the E1L, E2L, E2DL, E1B, L1, LX2, L4 and a few others - you may want to pick up a bunch and just keep a spare in each bag you have. Surefire also has an F05 and F06 - red and blue - if that tickles your fancy, but they will just change the color of the beam and not add any diffusion/flood like the F04 does.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Cool! I love my E2DL and know the E1L will not be dissapointing! I will have to try the E2DL tailcap to see how I like it size wise with the E1L.

notsofast

Enlightened
My current EDC is my E1e I legoed using the head and tail from my E2L. The AW 16340 550 mAh IMR will run for over 1.5 hrs on high.....I love the size.

I just recently acquired some Surefires and find their quality and function superb!