The Real Reason for Throw - an in depth examination

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Real Reason for Throw-an in depth examination

Thank you Saabluster, for this thread. At least to my layman status it is very clear, concise, and makes sense in the real world. I look forward to more from you on these matters. Hopefully, this thread can remain a source of good and solid info for CPF without being muddied up. Also thank you for your patience with others.
I have a lot of work left to get it where I want it but thanks.

To everyone. Please do not respond to Koti. He has had his say and we should leave it at that. I will address some of his concerns in due time.

I probably should have worked this all up off site and had it ready to go all at once but I felt an urgency to get it started because this topic was throwing off another thread. I will not however just slap this all together. This is not just any old thread. The reason it will take a while to get it where I want it is two fold. As I mentioned I am short on time. Second, and most importantly, I try to think before I speak especially with a thread of this importance. This is generally the best way to avoid sticking my foot in my mouth. Not that it doesn't still happen.:) I have been contemplating this entire thread topic for the better part of two years now. Anyway I thank those of you who have restrained yourselves. I know it is not easy. Thank you.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks for the guidance on the issues with the word throw. I was not aware of any of the controversies over this term. I can see why some might take issue with it but it would seem that any view of this would have to relate to the real world. If I shine my flashlight at Jupiter then yes indeed some of that light will bath Jupiter but I can hardly be accused of lighting up Jupiter. Since the point of flashlights is to allow the human eye to see objects it would seem the determining factor of whether something throws or not would be whether or not we could see it with our eyes and not based on theoretical measurements. I get the feeling we both agree on that front. Thanks

As the "maker of the DEFT the worlds longest throwing LED flashlight" clearly you are an expert on throw. I take the term throw to be based on a measure of lux taken from a light source, beyond any point of beam conversion; that is, reasonably down stream, where the beam is diverging. In comparing two beams of light from two flashlights, the one with a higher measure of lux at the same (reasonable) distance would be considered the light with greater throw. Is this in agreement with your definition of throw? I don't want to make any false assumptions here and since you are going to provide us with the real reason for throw, it would be great if we are all on the same page as to what "throw" is.

Since the point of flashlights is to allow the human eye to see objects it would seem the determining factor of whether something throws or not would be whether or not we could see it with our eyes and not based on theoretical measurements. I get the feeling we both agree on that front.
Two compare the "throw" of two different lights, I would think that actual measurements would be the most reasonable basis of comparison and again, I would look to a measure of lux (or similar unit of measure) to establish such a comparison.

Hypothetically, consider an elephant at 50' of distance from you and your flashlights. You have two flashlights. Both emit 100 lumens out the front end. One has a super tight collimated beam that gives you a circle of 2' in diameter at 50' and the other has a much larger beam angle and gives you a circle of 50' in diameter at 50' of distance. With the tight beam light, you see a nice bright gray 2' diameter circle of something 50' away. This light definitely out throws the other. With the other light, you see the whole elephant but not with the same surface intensity of reflection as with the tight beam. You have enough "throw" to identify the object as an elephant and the reflection in his two eyes lets you know he is staring straight at you. In both cases, the lights allowed us to see the elephant with our own eyes but perhaps identifying the elephant was easier with the light that didn't have the longest or greatest throw. Provided sufficient lux is present at a distant object, we can see it. In your terms, provided a light has sufficient throw, it is suitable for illuminating such a distant object, yes?

Your thread title stating The Real Reason for Throw is a bit confusing at this point but perhaps it will become clearer as you move along. Will you be comparing real VS false or imagined reasons for throw? By Real Reason do you mean to get into the justification or need for throw? That is to say why we may want or need throw? Or is it as it seems, at this point, that you will be explaining how one develops throw by virtue of the use of secondary optics as well as the nature of the light source itself and how it lends itself to management by optics?

My questions are rhetorical but perhaps worthy of consideration if they haven't already been anticipated and planned to be addressed in your future installments. No need for any direct response or further side tracking.

If this post is an unnecessary distraction, feel free to ignore it completely. No worries.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Collimation in the truest sense of the word is not possible in the real world as it would require a point of light infinitely small. Assuming you did have the impossible point source of light, and this point was at the reflector or len's focal point, the resultant beam would never grow any larger than when it left the light. If I shone a light with a diameter of 80mm towards the moon there would be an 80mm beam of light on the moon.

Even if you had a point light source and perfect optics, the beam would still diverge due to diffraction. This is an inescapable consequence of the wave nature of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_beam#Beam_divergence

For a flashlight, the non-point nature of the emitter will be the dominant reason for beam divergence. But for lasers, diffraction is the main reason. The only way to reduce (but not eliminate) this effect is to use a shorter wavelength of light or else start with a wider beam.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

I don't want to step on Saabluster's toes here but I think he'll agree with this (and if you don't then feel free to request the deletion of my post).

Take two identical flashlights and shine them the same direction. You will gain a little bit of throw, but nothing compared to the gain achieved in AREA illuminated if you spread the beams apart a bit.

Now take one flashlight and double it's brightness. You will have a much nicer gain in throw, but a very slight increase in area illuminated - but the hugely important thing here is it's NOT because the beam profile has enlarged (it has not) but because the intensity of the light scattered around by the objects it hits (like foliage) is higher, and thus THROWS further!

It's very important to note this increased area via brighter emitter is ONLY due to EXTERNALLY REFLECTED LIGHT that is of HIGHER INTENSITY, and thus THROWS FURTHER.

Remember the beam profile did NOT change!

Hope this helps, and if I'm somehow completely flawed in my interpretation of my real world observations I submit this post for deletion.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo, I think he means that he will explain the mechanics behind throw and will therefore clear up any common misconceptions.

That would seem to be the case from reading the part of this thread that he has posted up to this point.

I don't think he is going to be telling us why we might want absolute throw or a compromise between throw and target coverage. That's something that anyone would have to decide for themselves.

If my goal is to light up an elephant at 50' then I need a flashlight that will light up an elephant at 50'.

If I want a flashlight that will allow for identification of a target at the greatest possible distance (as compared to other flashlights) then that's purely throw.

(Just a thought for the OP...maybe you should just open up this thread for discussion and start another thread when your original thoughts are finished and then just request that thread to be closed and kept as a sticky. It seems kind of pointless to limit this thread when it's already at post number 45.)

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I take the term throw to be based on a measure of lux taken from a light source, beyond any point of beam conversion; that is, reasonably down stream, where the beam is diverging. In comparing two beams of light from two flashlights, the one with a higher measure of lux at the same (reasonable) distance would be considered the light with greater throw. Is this in agreement with your definition of throw? I don't want to make any false assumptions here and since you are going to provide us with the real reason for throw, it would be great if we are all on the same page as to what "throw" is.

I should make something very clear at this point. I don't care one iota about theory that has no effect on the world we live in. To ponder on such things is a massive waste of time in my opinion. I care about things that cause real discernible effects in my life. The "other" thread has a lot of good information but its bent towards things that can't happen leaves me feeling a bit short of satisfied. I appreciated your efforts to get them to focus on the topic from an angle that would help people see the practical application of the study of light as it relates to flashlights. We are here on CPF to discus flashlights. Flashlights have a clear purpose-to help people see. That is practical or useful.

In creating a definition for throw we run into problems that are relative to the conditions. First I would make the proposal that our definition of throw be informed by the colloquial use of the term here on CPF. As has been mentioned before on this site in the most literal sense of the word every light has equal throw in that the light from all flashlights will travel infinitely unless acted upon. That said that is not how we use the term. When people talk about throw the implication is how far you can see. Since a flashlight's "job" is to allow us to see targets the defining factor must be target recognition not that one could see faintly that light was reaching the target. This makes a defintion of throw very difficult (but not impossible) since there is no clear cut measure of what would be considered intense enough to reach that threshold of target recognition due to the many factors at play such as the user, ambient light, weather conditions, target shape and color and so on. I see this task as similar to trying to come up with a definition for such words as "good". Good is a relative term and yet you will find a definition for it in the dictionary.

So I have come up with a proposal for a definition of throw and I will invite all of CPF to provide guidance in its refinement.

Throw- A concentrated beam of light that reaches or exceeds the lower threshold of human vision to see a distant target with clarity relative to the user and intended target.

Lets use this in some sentences we see fairly often here on CPF.

"How far does that flashlight throw?"
In this context the person wants to know the farthest or outer limit of the flashlight while still meeting the minimum definition of throw.
-A concentrated beam of light that reaches or exceeds the lower threshold of human vision to see a distant target with clarity relative to the user and intended target.

"Will this flashlight throw that far?"
Here the person has a set distance in mind and want to know if it reaches or exceeds the lower threshold of human vision to see a distant target with clarity relative to the user and intended target.

"What is the farthest throwing light?"
This is perhaps the easiest one to answer because the light with the highest measured lux will always provide the most throw even if we can't put a specific distance measurement on that throw.

Two compare the "throw" of two different lights, I would think that actual measurements would be the most reasonable basis of comparison and again, I would look to a measure of lux (or similar unit of measure) to establish such a comparison.

Yes measurements of lux does help the CPF populace to quantify the relative performance of lights. It would be hard however to take a specific lux measurement and declare that as the point where it meets the definition of throw as mentioned above since throw is a relative term. We could do some extensive experiments to try to nail down what lux in what ambient light conditions would provide the average person usable visibility but because of the relative nature of throw a measurement cannot be used to define throw.

Hypothetically, consider an elephant at 50' of distance from you and your flashlights. You have two flashlights. Both emit 100 lumens out the front end. One has a super tight collimated beam that gives you a circle of 2' in diameter at 50' and the other has a much larger beam angle and gives you a circle of 50' in diameter at 50' of distance. With the tight beam light, you see a nice bright gray 2' diameter circle of something 50' away. This light definitely out throws the other. With the other light, you see the whole elephant but not with the same surface intensity of reflection as with the tight beam. You have enough "throw" to identify the object as an elephant and the reflection in his two eyes lets you know he is staring straight at you. In both cases, the lights allowed us to see the elephant with our own eyes but perhaps identifying the elephant was easier with the light that didn't have the longest or greatest throw. Provided sufficient lux is present at a distant object, we can see it. In your terms, provided a light has sufficient throw, it is suitable for illuminating such a distant object, yes?
In this case both lights meet the minimum definition for throw at that distance. Obviously some reasonableness needs to be introduced in this area. This definition is for flashlights not lasers or baseballs for that matter. A flashlight can be moved about to ascertain what the target is even if the beam is narrow as long as the intensity is sufficient to allow recognition of the target surfaces. If we were to exclude this light from the definition of throw what would be the case when we increased the distance and now the wider beam light provides no recognition of the elephant due to low lux but the narrower beam light fully lights up the elephant with full recognition? Since the entire purpose of defining throw is about distance we cannot make exclusions based on the nearness of an object no?

Your thread title stating The Real Reason for Throw is a bit confusing at this point but perhaps it will become clearer as you move along. Will you be comparing real VS false or imagined reasons for throw? By Real Reason do you mean to get into the justification or need for throw? That is to say why we may want or need throw? Or is it as it seems, at this point, that you will be explaining how one develops throw by virtue of the use of secondary optics as well as the nature of the light source itself and how it lends itself to management by optics?
The reason for that title is because so many people here believe lumens are what create throw. Obviously with no lumens you have no throw but you cannot make the assumption that the SST90 will out-throw the XR-E because of the immense output of the SST90. Yet that is what people here are doing. People need to know the real reason for throw. Why do they need to know? Besides the fact that it is always better to know the truth they may buy one light over another based solely on the fact that one has more lumens than another when what they really need is the farther throwing light.

My questions are rhetorical but perhaps worthy of consideration if they haven't already been anticipated and planned to be addressed in your future installments. No need for any direct response or further side tracking.

If this post is an unnecessary distraction, feel free to ignore it completely. No worries.
McGizmo you do not speak off the cuff and I know you have put considerable time into learning the science behind flashlights. Your input is always welcome.:thumbsup: I wish more people would follow your example of contemplation before posting.

Even if you had a point light source and perfect optics, the beam would still diverge due to diffraction. This is an inescapable consequence of the wave nature of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_beam#Beam_divergence

For a flashlight, the non-point nature of the emitter will be the dominant reason for beam divergence. But for lasers, diffraction is the main reason. The only way to reduce (but not eliminate) this effect is to use a shorter wavelength of light or else start with a wider beam.

This highlights the difficulty I face in trying to put a thread like this together. This thread is intended to help the layperson and as such does not get into all the various intricacies involved that frankly don't amount to a hill of beans. My point is to not focus on such things as a Gaussian beam as it has no relevance to what we do as the distances are such you will never see the effects. Such things must be left unsaid lest we make the explanation too complicated for the layperson to follow and they give up. I don't want to go there. Thank you for trying to make sure the t's are crossed though.

flasherByNight

Enlightened

I think this is a prime example of why this type of post should have perhaps been written in it's entirety before posting....Just a thought

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one suggestion (meant only to be helpful). Perhaps in an introductory paragraph or two you could state what you believe to be the mechanics of throw and how they interact. This would take care of many who would get it just based on that.

If people don't understand it initially then that's where your long thought out explanation would come in and if it takes you some time for that ... fine.

I thought the problem with the RA thread (and this one is heading in that direction although it's not your intent) was that it took forever to get to the point. Long explanations and examples were offered before simply stating the facts to see if anyone even had a problem with understanding them in the first place. Maybe they wouldn't. It was like a long drawn out story where the ending was never reached.

I don't have all of the details but it seems to me that throw is about surface brightness firstly. Then it's how large the reflector is or what diameter and how close an optic is to the emitter and it has just a little bit for do with reflector depth.

In terms of emitter efficiency it also depends on the beam pattern that emerges from the emitter so there are differences between XR-E's and XP-G's in that regard as well as in the relative brightness levels.

This is just a short post but hasn't it covered most of what throw is all about (without much elaboration of course)? The interesting discussion would take place due to the elaboration I'm sure.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one suggestion (meant only to be helpful). Perhaps in an introductory paragraph or two you could state what you believe to be the mechanics of throw and how they interact. This would take care of many who would get it just based on that.If people don't understand it initially then that's where your long thought out explanation would come in and if it takes you some time for that ... fine.
I will see if I can do that.

I thought the problem with the RA thread (and this one is heading in that direction although it's not your intent) was that it took forever to get to the point. Long explanations and examples were offered before simply stating the facts to see if anyone even had a problem with understanding them in the first place. Maybe they wouldn't. It was like a long drawn out story where the ending was never reached.
The problem is the first post in that thread should have been kept up to date. What I am doing here is putting all the relevant information in the first post not spread among hundreds of posts. When someone wants to understand the subject all they will have to do is read the first post. No more.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will see if I can do that.

The problem is the first post in that thread should have been kept up to date. What I am doing here is putting all the relevant information in the first post not spread among hundreds of posts. When someone wants to understand the subject all they will have to do is read the first post. No more.

Ah! Gottcha!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a much needed thread!
(please excuse my posting, hoping to provide simple clarity)

Regarding the SST90 vs XRE the answer is simple (IMHO)
icon11.gif

Question:
Why does a larger die emitter appear to out-throw a smaller die emitter when the smaller die emitter has a higher surface brightness

In Theory:
Illuminate a target at 100 meters with whatever you like, and then measure the lux at the brightest part of the hotspot.
In a perfect world, considering all factors are the same, the emitter with the highest surface brightness will ALWAYS out-throw an emitter with a lower surface brightness. (you should be able to measure more lux at the brightest point).

In Practice:

The SST90 seems to easily out-throw emitters with a higher surface brightness only because it is able to illuminate a larger area on the target, (at an intensity close to the brighter, smaller die emitters), which in real use situations, provides more usable light.

Conclusion:
To the human eye (ok and maybe even non-human eyes) & casual observer

Looking at a target 100m away...

Comparing
A) 1cm square area, with a brightness reading of 200 lux
[200 lux at any point in the square - in theory]

B) 40cm square area, with a brightness reading of 175 lux
[175 lux at any point in the square - in theory]

Then to most flashaholics the light that created square B) will likely be said to be the one with more throw because "the practical usability" of the volume of light is more important than "theory of light" in real use applications.

note: remember though in theory a spot of light may exist, we humans have limitations in visual acuity that may prevent us from detecting it.

tgwnn

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have a winner:)
Not quite.

Question:
Why does a larger die emitter appear to out-throw a smaller die emitter when the smaller die emitter has a higher surface brightness
In the case of the SR90 vs a DBS for example it is no appearance. The SR90 does in fact out-throw it.

In Practice:
The SST90 seems to easily out-throw emitters with a higher surface brightness only because it is able to illuminate a larger area on the target, (at an intensity close to the brighter, smaller die emitters), which in real use situations, provides more usable light.
Again no. The SST90 cannot out-throw an XP-E for example if they are in the same light at their respective maximum drive levels.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened

My question:

Let's say I had a 4' diameter piece of plywood and put 9 evenly spaced regular 100 watt GE Soft White 125v reading light bulbs onto the flat surface. The plywood is painted flat black so as not to reflect any light on its own. Place the board on a pole 100 feet in the air over a dark green lawn and assume it is non reflective. Face the board towards another pole 100 feet high and 200 feet away. Assume a clear night, very low humidity and no star or other lights.

Now put a light meter on the distant pole. Let us say it gives a very accurate reading and that it is 10.00 Lux when only 1 of the 9 bulbs is lit. What would the reading be if all 9 were lit?

Now place a series of mirrors around the bulbs so that as much light that is initially going off to the side is reflected to the light meter on the other pole. What would the meter reading be for this?

What would the reading be at 400 feet away in each of these cases?

Now put a 10 x 10 foot enlarged copy of the Declaration of Independence on that distant pole. Would the whole thing be easier to read with the 9 lights lit compared to only 1 light (no reflector)? What would be the difference if we put up the mirrors?

Thanks

AEHaas

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

My question:

Let's say I had a 4' diameter piece of plywood and put 9 evenly spaced regular 100 watt GE Soft White 125v reading light bulbs onto the flat surface. The plywood is painted flat black so as not to reflect any light on its own. Place the board on a pole 100 feet in the air over a dark green lawn and assume it is non reflective. Face the board towards another pole 100 feet high and 200 feet away. Assume a clear night, very low humidity and no star or other lights.

Now put a light meter on the distant pole. Let us say it gives a very accurate reading and that it is 10.00 Lux when only 1 of the 9 bulbs is lit. What would the reading be if all 9 were lit?

Now place a series of mirrors around the bulbs so that as much light that is initially going off to the side is reflected to the light meter on the other pole. What would the meter reading be for this?

What would the reading be at 400 feet away in each of these cases?

Now put a 10 x 10 foot enlarged copy of the Declaration of Independence on that distant pole. Would the whole thing be easier to read with the 9 lights lit compared to only 1 light (no reflector)? What would be the difference if we put up the mirrors?

Thanks

AEHaas
Is this a hypothetical or do you need help with a project?

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened

Another question.

I have the DBS with aspherical lens. If I pointed it from the one pole to the light meter on the other I would get a reading of say 10.00 Lux (the actual values are not important, just the deltas). Now if I owned 9 of these lights and pointed them all at the same time at the distant light meter, would the lux reading be the same. What would it be?

Thanks

AEHaas

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

In furtherance to my last post I should add that the reason that the SR90 can out-throw lights with a higher surface brightness is due to the reflector. The outer portion of the reflector is farther away and therefore the resulting beam has less divergence because that part of the reflector "sees" a smaller source.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another question.

I have the DBS with aspherical lens. If I pointed it from the one pole to the light meter on the other I would get a reading of say 10.00 Lux (the actual values are not important, just the deltas). Now if I owned 9 of these lights and pointed them all at the same time at the distant light meter, would the lux reading be the same. What would it be?

Thanks

AEHaas
90lux of course. It would not however look to your eye as nine times better.;)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not quite.

In the case of the SR90 vs a DBS for example it is no appearance. The SR90 does in fact out-throw it.

Again no. The SST90 cannot out-throw an XP-E for example if they are in the same light at their respective maximum drive levels.

Please do not quote me out of context.
Kindly note, I already stated what you are stating and agree with you on the above :)
Are you saying that #1 below is not a fact?

tgwnn:
In a perfect world, considering all factors are the same, the emitter with the highest surface brightness will ALWAYS out-throw an emitter with a lower surface brightness.
tgwnn:
The SST90 seems to easily out-throw emitters with a higher surface brightness
the keyword being seems.

I am only hoping to add clarity, not introduce any new concepts.

btw,
I think your first post was awesome!

tgwnn