SOCOMguy Full Length Magazine Tube
Benelli Full Length Magazine Spring
Callahan Red Aluminum Follower
Nice!

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Shotgun shopping

After some reading about the 453 over at SGW, I think I'll go with it. Now I just need to find a good price and I'm set. :)

I think I'll rename this thread to "The Shotgun Thread."

cslinger

Enlightened
Just a note, per the BATFE shotguns do fall under 922r and are made into un-importable non sporting weapons if they are changed from the way they were imported without the requisite number of U.S. made parts.

So technically speaking a Benelli M4 manufactured outside of the U.S. is illegal with the extended tube and collapseable stock per federal law(without the requisite U.S. parts). There are letters from the BATFE tech branch that also include pump guns in 922r regs. as well.

All that being said the laws are clear as mud and you cannot get two people at the BATFE to agree on anything. That and I cannot imagine anybody ever being charged with ONLY a 922r violation.

My two cents.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So technically speaking a Benelli M4 manufactured outside of the U.S. is illegal with the extended tube and collapseable stock per federal law(without the requisite U.S. parts).

Must be why he keeps it in LV (Las Vegas ?).

Was Las Vegas ever really under the jurisdiction of the criminal justice system ?

;)

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Just a note, per the BATFE shotguns do fall under 922r and are made into un-importable non sporting weapons if they are changed from the way they were imported without the requisite number of U.S. made parts.

Well, yeah, for the most part. 922R applies to MOST imported firearms, unless the manufacturer holds a US manufacturing FFL. If the gun (like a Benelli M4) is imported under the US subsidiary company (Benelli USA), they are exempt from 922R and you can add whatever tacticool things you want. That why you see people going crazy over 922R compliance for Saigas and SKS's, but not for most shotguns that are imported because nearly all popular shotgun manufacturers have a manufacturing license here (Beretta USA, Benelli USA, FN USA, etc).

Your best bet is always to call the local ATF office and ask THEM, and get it in writing.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had extremely good luck with my Browning Gold Autos. They come in 3.0" but I'm not sure about 3.5"

Actually it has been so long since I purchased mine I don't even know if Browning still manufactures them. I know the Auto 5 has been out of production for some time. My dad owns two. A 12 guage and a original Sweet 16 made in Belgium.

Short of that I would go with Beretta's.

Bill

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
$600 w/ tax and fees, 28" bbl., black synthetic. Bought from small local gunshop.

And now, the wait! :crazy:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Fifteen day wait right? I remember that. . .It's a "killer" waiting.

Looking forward to your POV on said shotgun with pix hopefully.

Enjoy!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
So technically speaking a Benelli M4 manufactured outside of the U.S. is illegal with the extended tube...(without the requisite U.S. parts).
The full length tube was manufactured stateside. No conflict with 922r.

So technically speaking a Benelli M4 manufactured outside of the U.S. is illegal with...[a collapsible] stock...
If the gun (like a Benelli M4 [and its collapsible stock]) is imported under the US subsidiary company (Benelli USA), they are exempt from 922R...
Correct. Again, no conflict with 922r.

Fifteen day wait right?
Ten days in CA. Good buy, TigerhawkT3 :) .

cslinger

Enlightened
All I would suggest is that you get a letter from the BATFE technology branch telling you in black and white that you are legal because I have seen several that do indeed say that you are building an illegal firearm (when specifically talking about Benelli USA firearms) but once again I have seen letters from the BATFE asking the same question with two different answers.

I am not trolling, just don't want to see anybody get made an example of should some over zealous LEO or DA get a hankering to make a name for them selves.

Take care be safe and wicked cool shottys all.

Chris

SilentK

Enlightened
go for the remington 11-87 XCS. the one in the first post in poorly made and is not good for people who need a gun that can go through what ever you can throw at it

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
go for the remington 11-87 XCS. the one in the first post in poorly made and is not good for people who need a gun that can go through what ever you can throw at it
I was considering the 11-87 XCS, but I already bought the significantly cheaper 453. I'll inspect it once it arrives.

Is it okay to combine ammo types (2-3/4" #8, 3" 00, 3.5" 1-3/8oz, etc.) in a mag tube, or is it like batteries?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood, cslinger :thumbsup: . It is fine to mix and match shells of different loads and lengths. I always mix and match when testing out ammo for the first time. This allows for repeatable results from which determinations can be made. However, you may want to obtain a letter from Remington indicating in black and white that it is acceptable to mix ammutition types before proceeding :) .

cslinger

Enlightened
However, you may want to obtain a letter from Remington indicating in black and white that it is acceptable to mix ammutition types before proceeding

Quick, funny, decent timing......I give it an 8. :D

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked it up today (Wednesday). It's so cool to have my very own Evil Black Ri-... I mean... Shotgun. :)

Loading shells is a bit rough sometimes. I'd prefer if I could just jam 'em in there and never have to jiggle it past rough spots. However, I'm moderately confident that that'll improve once it's broken in. We put 75 shells through it (4 and 6 bird, 1.25oz) out of the recommended 100, and I'll do the last 25 next time I take it out.

It took a lot of self-control to keep from just rapid-firing a whole mag at a time. :) It feels fantastic. :)

I also discovered the joys of unburned powder in the chamber. We got a tiny fire in the chamber area for almost a second or two after the last round of a mag, with a hot gun. Of course, I immediately stopped and asked the range master if that's normal, and was assured that it was. :sweat: I'm glad it wasn't a bad sign, because it was pretty impressive. :)

Now I wait for a pistol grip stock and magazine extension for this model. :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, no pics yet. My guns are all stored at my friend's house, so it's a bit of a bother to do anything with them. I'll try to remember to bring my camera next time I go over there.

I almost used it in a hunting trip today, but the outdoors were closed for repairs. :duh2: There's a bit of a fire hazard thing around these parts. My buddy and I drove for a couple hours, saw it was closed, took a short nap, then turned around and went home. :(

For some reason, the 453 is only holding four shells in the magazine instead of the five specified in the manual, and I don't know why. I'll probably just ask the gun shop where I bought it what the deal is.

Oh, and I just realized earlier today that three of the four firearms I own were made in Russia. Fascinating.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Are you sure the 453 isn't a 4+1? Meaning four (4) in the tube plus (+) one (1) in the chamber? :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking closely at page 10 of the manual, I think the issue is the "plastic spring cap." When you take off the metal cap (a part you can plainly see when the gun is fully assembled) from the end of the magazine, there's another little plastic thing that keeps the spring from popping out. If I'm reading it right, the spring can be held by the metal cap instead of the little plastic cap, although if you did that, the spring would only be held by the metal cap and you'd have to hold it with a pin when opening it up.

Also, on page 13, it says you can insert five 2.75" or 3" shells, or four 3.5" shells. It doesn't mention anything about putting one of those in the chamber.

So, I think that preinstalled "plastic spring cap" is not a necessary part and is a mere convenience that holds the spring in there for you while you're disassembling, although it changes the gun from a 5+1 to a 4+1. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! :)

Also, it looks from this thread that adding a new stock or mag extension would violate 922(r), as the SPR453 is a rebranded import of the Baikal MP153, so that's right out. I guess I'll have to get an 11-87 or something... when I have money again. :broke:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the overall length of a Remington 870 Express with an 18.5" barrel, pistol grip, and no stock?