The Shotgun Thread

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As soon as I finished breaking it in with #4 bird, I switched to lower-power shells, around #7 or #8. These shells only fully cycled the action about one in three times. The range employee who tried it after I notified them of the jam said that it probably needed to be oiled. I think it was also due to my (and the employee's) shooting style of rocking backwards, possibly robbing the action of some energy. I also didn't adjust the gas system, since that requires partial disassembly. I think that if I oil it and try to shove my shoulder forward a little, it should cycle low-power rounds more reliably.

As requested, here's a pic of the boomstick from a frame from the video I shot when I finished breaking it in a couple weeks ago.

Patriot

Flashaholic
As soon as I finished breaking it in with #4 bird, I switched to lower-power shells, around #7 or #8. These shells only fully cycled the action about one in three times. The range employee who tried it after I notified them of the jam said that it probably needed to be oiled. I think it was also due to my (and the employee's) shooting style of rocking backwards, possibly robbing the action of some energy. I also didn't adjust the gas system, since that requires partial disassembly. I think that if I oil it and try to shove my shoulder forward a little, it should cycle low-power rounds more reliably.

Hi Tigerhawk :) Going to a smaller shot size doesn't always necessarily mean going to a "lower power." All that really effects the energy is the powder charge, usually indicated in drams on the box and the shot payload. 1 ounce of #4 will operate the action exactly the same as 1 ounce of #9 provided the the charge is the same.

Also, there is no reason that the gun shouldn't function perfectly with a dove & quail field load or even 1 oz target loads for that matter. It's new and probably needs a little more breaking in with plenty of oil. That particular gas system is fairly sensitive to dirt and gummy powder build up at the gas seals and should be cleaned well every 1000 rounds or so. It's not the most outright reliable design but when they're running great no other semi-auto shotgun shoots as smoothly. They're still a popular in competition, including 3 gun matches.

Nice gun!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the overall length of a Remington 870 Express with an 18.5" barrel, pistol grip, and no stock?

Don't know about the Rem870, but I recall the Mossberg with an 18" barrel and pistol grip are illegal in Calif while the 20" barrel with the pistol grip is legal.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot36,

Sorry I was unclear - I was using higher-powered loads that just happened to be slightly larger shot. I think it was 1.25oz versus 1.125oz loads, or something like that. The lower-powered ones had about a quarter inch of brass, and the higher-powered ones about half an inch. So, you think it probably needs to be broken in some more? I broke it in with the bare minimum of 100 1.25oz loads recommended in the manual. A few more boxes, perhaps?

NA8,

So, a 20" barrel is the limit? I think I could stand the two extra inches.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot36,
NA8,

So, a 20" barrel is the limit? I think I could stand the two extra inches.

It's actually the overall length of the shotgun has to be "so long" one of those "not shorter than" things. Forget what the metric is. With the Mossberg's you gain two extra rounds with the longer mag tube. Would recommend the 590 over the 500. Better magazine tube design.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually the overall length of the shotgun has to be "so long" one of those "not shorter than" things. Forget what the metric is. With the Mossberg's you gain two extra rounds with the longer mag tube. Would recommend the 590 over the 500. Better magazine tube design.
It's 18" barrel and 26" overall. Since the length of a receiver+grip is pretty much fixed, the variable is usually the barrel length. I just wasn't sure whether an 18" barrel usually made for a 26" overall length (with no stock). :)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did someone mention Mossberg 590?

11110801.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update time!

That particular gas system is fairly sensitive to dirt and gummy powder build up at the gas seals and should be cleaned well every 1000 rounds or so.

I can now confirm this. My SPR453 stopped cycling, and I wasn't sure why. I regularly cleaned the bore, the gas ports, and the gas piston assembly of all visible gunk, so I took it to the local gun shop. They scrubbed at it a bit and it didn't help, so I had their gunsmith take a look at it (actually the same guy who'd looked at it initially, but I guess you get a different level of service for $150). Apparently, you have to completely disassemble the gas piston for cleaning. Unfortunately, the manual just says that "The gas piston assembly is on the magazine tube. (See Picture 43). The gas piston assembly must be cleaned and lightly oiled after each use," with Picture 43 only showing the complete magazine tube and gas piston assembly. There's no explanation of how to actually disassemble the gas piston for proper cleaning, and I haven't been able to Google one up, either. The next time I see it having cycling issues, I'm going to have a nice little adventure and hope that it doesn't end in unexplained "spare parts." :)