They aren't just lights!

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: They aren\'t just lights!

It's like Harleys (many things actually). If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand anyway.

You can start berating me now for what I am about to say. That's ok, I don't mind. I don't disagree with everything people have said, but I don't totally agree either.

However, I would like to add. When anything becomes an un-healthy obsession and goes beyond being a cool hobby, there is a problem. When people are willing to rack up huge credit card debt or not pay necessary bills to get them, there is a problem. There isn't anything that we can't justify if we put our minds to it.

When you become so obsessed that you are willing to get all frothy at the mouth arguing over them, or when you lose sleep over what to lube your o-rings with, when you have to figure out how to sneak a new one by your spouse, or you place them on some high mystical pedestal, there is a problem.

Yes, I really like my lights and reading about them, etc. I use them all the time, more in the dark of winter, but generally all year around. I marvel at their engineering too, they are cool.

At the end of the day, I look at my wife, think about our friends and family and think what a lucky man I am. I remind myself that flashlights are useful (in some cases necessary) tools no doubt, ones that no person should be without. However, they are just flashlights, as cool as they might be. In the end, it's about people and relationships, not objects.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Jim, A truly beautiful and eloquent post

Mike, A nicely balanced perspective.

I find that I can vary between these two views based on my mood, the events of the day or a particularly exciting new development in my personal/work/CPF life. At the moment I'm beta testing a genuinely exciting new CPF-related unit and it has temporarily become my primary focus, gently sliding family and work slightly into the background. I just read an interesting article in Popular Science about Dr. Amar Bose, the famous acoustic pioneer, whose enthusiasm, childlike curiosity and formidable intellect have resulted in remarkable inventions in many fields, most recently a revolutionary car suspension.

I believe that curiosity and enthusiasm are priceless gifts but like anything else they can be destructive if carried too far. For example, a husband's healthy appreciation for

beautiful young women is quite different from the kind of obsessive preoccupation that could threaten his marriage. (of course it could also be a wakeup call that the marriage needs to be worked on). A CPF member who feels alienated from the world might have a seemingly unhealthy involvement in our group as a refuge or substitute for "real life". OTOH, it might be just the temporary resting place he needs.

Brightnorm

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have always thought of flashlights in two ways: fascination and useful.

As far as the fascination part goes lights are fun,interesting , and a great hobby to an extent and although a majority of people do not share flashlights as fascinating, if you compare your flashlights to a similar hobby or sport other people do constantly it isn't totally nuts.

The useful part of flashlights is when you come across a situation where there is a *perfect* light for the job and you HAVE IT!. Often I have come across situations where other people struggle with lights in dark situations and I grab a better light and all of the sudden things are a lot nicer. I don't see all lights here as in the generally useful category for most tasks beyond utilitarian but having something nicer than what will do the job isn't a bad thing as long as you don't pull out your gold plated sceptor to spot a rabbit to make yourself into a god of sorts.... most people will figure.... hey that is cool let me see it and become somewhat more intrigued with *usefulness* of higher tech lights.

When it goes beyond those two categories into the realm beyond either a hobby or a tool you got problems because unless you are around people that are flashlight hobbiests/enthusiasts you can end up talking to everyone constantly about.... flashlights instead of participating in everyday normal conversation..

Sure I talk to people now and then about different lights because I like them but I don't turn an entire 1 hour conversation into converting people into flashaholics, instead I listen to their *aholic* hobbies and try to relate. Some of these *aholic* hobbies include music/guitar stuff, computer hardware, tools, cars/motorcycles, high end stereo gear for autos/home, television stuff, bowling, golf, and other various sport activities including weight based excersize.

It is when the talk goes to one topic... all the time you start to wonder if that person is an *aholic* big time and needs something like a mild labotomy to shut em up. LOL

I have at times been to the point of saying.... SHUT UP! I don't want to hear about your stupid obsession with (insert hobby/fascination here).

As a christian I can equate with the idea that if you spend a lot of time *obsessing* over something can be considered akin to worshipping that which captures your attention.
Essentially fascinations could replace God if it becomes the center of your life, as others have said they can also try to replace wives and family members if focus/funds are overly used in the attempt to satiate the addictive fascination.

Just remind those people calling you a flashlight freak that they spend far more on their *aholic* than they think they do, and try to spend more time listening to others and less talking about flashlights with non-ethusiasts, perhaps if you pay attention to people and they find out how neat your flashlights are they will decide... hey this guy is cool and maybe since he is cool... so are flashlights.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

they give me a feeling of independence. knowing if something happens i'll be able to light my way out of the situation, with lights that are pretty much guaranteed to work and last forever.

bring on the black out. the forest. the apocalypse. whatever. i'll be able to light my way out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
they give me a feeling of independence. knowing if something happens i'll be able to light my way out of the situation, with lights that are pretty much guaranteed to work and last forever.

bring on the black out. the forest. the apocalypse. whatever. i'll be able to light my way out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What about your multi-tool, etc, etc, etc? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

capnal

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
A flashlight is so much more than just a flashlight here on CPF. And thank God for that!

[/ QUOTE ]

(psst...) JS:
IT'S JUST A FLASHLIGHT!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

for the winter it will be a Leatherman Crunch that my pops gave me for an early Christmas gift. it will be complimented by my Becker Necker and Camillus CUDA, and......... etc etc LOL

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure many of you will hate this post but I think that this needs to be said lest our picture of flashaholism be a bit too romantic. Please don't misunderstand that I believe everyone here is the way I'm going to describe. I am. I'm becoming more aware of it and taking steps to remedy this by selling alot of old lights and not buying new ones.

As far as "They aren't just lights!" goes, I really diasagree. It is just stuff. Wedding rings are important because they represent a comittment of a lifetime but when push comes to shove they are just stuff. For every time I've felt great because I had the right light at the right time, there has been at least one time when I felt a little bit more lost or dissapointed when I reach for that same light and remember that I've left it at home or the batteries are going. Have you ever misplaced a light and had a hideous and unwarranted suspicion of those around you only to find your light where you last used it? Ever had a nasty creeping feeling when "our precious" is handled or used by others? Ever denied someone something as simple as light because you didn't trust them with your light? I bet at least one person on this board has strained or broken a friendship or work relationship because of a damaged or lost flashlight. Nothing lasts forever and a light that has a 10 year warrantee will be obsolete or lost in three. Or maybe it will be gutted and the original money spent on it doubled as a new rash of 'gottahavits' runs it's course. Or today I get my new light out of the mailbox and I'm elated at it's incredible performance and then 3 weeks later my eye is captured by something brighter, lighter, cheaper, etc. Or the gorgeous white tint I've admired many times fades with use and becomes greener or maybe it always was green but a new flashlight and a white wall show me just how mistaken I was. Or perhaps in the pursuit of getting a fix I innocently prattle away a thousand dollars over a year and then I realize what else that money could have bought if I wasn't so absorbed in flashlights.
I am a buddhist but I fully agree with Lynx Arc and how obsessive (this is way more common here than many of us want to admit) behaviour is a form of worship. I'd call it more delusion that flashlights somehow provide unmixed and permanent satisfaction (something Christians know only comes from God).

I have an obsessive nature and I've heard folks 'wax poetic' in praise of lots of different obsessions. By now it has started to sound like the party line of denial. I even hung out with a bunch of drug 'connosieurs' whose culture of denying the negative aspects of what we did had replaced the word 'addiction' with 'habituation'.

Really it comes down to looking outside oneself for satisfaction and pleasure and finding some in "whatever". Then we look again and again and we look for diverse and complex manifestations of "whatever' and we keep looking for the next great light, we read and post and obsess about the next great light or "whatever" and we wax poetic that all the many many days and hours I've spent reading and buying are so much more than providing light when it is hard to see. Recently I've sold alot of lights because I've been more aware of my behaviour and how dissatisfying it is. I'm probabally on the far end of the scale but it isn't necessary to be all the way to one side or the other to really throw our lives off balance and inevitably the lives of those who care about us.

Not only are they JUST FLASHLIGHTS, the belief that they are somehow something more is a damaging delusion based on materialistic lust. I am every bit as guilty as anyone, in fact more so because I am fully aware at the greediness of my materialistic obsession with flashlights.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well said xochi, in the end it is just stuff. And stuff will never make you happy.

BTW- I got the Tri Star Phazer today... man, what a light cannon that thing is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wait a second... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Peter

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Glad you like it, it's pretty good for spotting owls. They sure don't like that light though.

See,

learning about owls (with a flashlight) = good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Obsessing over flashlights = Bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mutie

Enlightened

Ok.

I'm forced to admit that there have been several occasions now where I opted for LEDs over drugs. And the LEDs come in these little cool baggies too. And the look on my girls when I outfit their biomech armor with new LED arrays is priceless.

Should I seek therapy?

Mutie

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:

Not only are they JUST FLASHLIGHTS, the belief that they are somehow something more is a damaging delusion based on materialistic lust. I am every bit as guilty as anyone, in fact more so because I am fully aware at the greediness of my materialistic obsession with flashlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as there are those who have balance in relation to something like, say, alcohol, and those who do NOT, so also with flashlights.

I do not fit your definition of a Flashaholic, and I very rarely--if ever--put flashlights or ANY material object before my wife. The idea is not to materialize sprituality, but rather to spiritualize material! Those who feel this way about flashlights (such as myself) don't need a large collection or a "fix". Even one would suffice. In fact, even none would suffice, for it is more the IDEA that is important, than the material. For the material has been organized and takes shape around an IDEA!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, to continue, I flatly deny that a belief that matter is something more than "JUST" matter must be based on materialistic lust. We live in a world of matter as well as a world of spirit--the two interpenetrate one another--and thus there are many reasons why people value a material object, and many ways in which they value it.

An obsession is not cured by convincing the person that food, or wine, or flashlights, or pianos, etc. don't matter very much; that they are "just" flashlights, or "just" pianos. I believe that such obsession is a result of a lack of perspective, and a blindness to what is more important. Obsession is cured when it is put into proper relation and balance to everything else.

Anything can be perverted. Interesting to know that you are a Buddhist: I have spent many hours practicing Zazen, and reading about such practice. In particular, Katsuki Sekida's book on Zen Training, and Charlotte Yoko Beck's books.

Anyway, there is something known to Zen practitioners as "spritual materialism". This is just the "if onlys" raised to the level of spirit. For example, many people might conciously or subconsciously think "If only I had a SureFire M6, then I would be happy; then my life would be good." I hope we all recognize that this is delusive, and that very shortly after that person finally gets an M6, that he or she will move on to something else, some other "If only".

Well, the most insidious and dangerous "if only" is the spiritual "if only": "If only I were enlightened, then I would be happy" or "If only I could make a little progress in sitting, then I would be happy." It's just the same thing all over again.

I believe that when you find the only thing that will make you happy--call it truth, or God, or Dharma--and you don't rely on external conditions and things to make you happy, whether they be material (a flashlight) or spiritual (a relationship or a good marriage or more friends), then and only then will you truly be able to enjoy material things, and the other external things such as a marriage.

And for that matter, if you think that "at least one person on this board has strained or broken a friendship or work relationship because of a damaged or lost flashlight" don't you also think that religion and politics and sexual desire and any number of other non-material things have strained or broken a friendship or a marriage? And to take the counter example, I have made friends on this board. We share a common interest and a common passion. This can bring people together. Food can bring people together. We live in a world of matter, and matter is tied to spirit. When a Buddhist meditates, he or she takes a certain posture and breathes a certain way, which means that how the MATTER of the body is held has some relation to MIND or spirit.

The true connoisseur--i.e. the true "knower"--knows that God is in all things, and speaks to us in many ways. And to those of us who are very luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He speaks to us through flashlights as well as through the other channels.

Jefff

Enlightened

Very intellectual people on this board that's for sure. well spoken.. to think it is one thing ,, but to put it into words now that is knowledge;)

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Jim, my words had too harsh and judgemental of a tone. I'm not trying to trash your eloquent and very pleasing description of the flashlight hobby. Certainly aspects of the hobby are entirely beneficial to those involved. My statements had sweeping generalizations which I did not intend. I do believe what I said though. I just don't believe that it gets out of hand for everyone. Some come here trying to make an enlightened flashlight purchase for themselves or others, acquire the information they wanted and then leave. No harm no foul. In fact someone might get a warm fuzzy for giving some appreciated advice. We've already discussed the other end of the spectrum. Essentially the aim was to allow those who feel a need to evaluate their behaviour in relation to a peer group to see a diversity of behaviours and consequences.

As far as buddhism is concerned , It is easily one of the most misunderstood religions out there. Theravedan , mahayana , tibetan mahayanan buddhism share a great deal of commonality but many of the methods they use to reach the goal differ slightly. The theravedans (what I am) adhere to a collection of suttas called the tipitaka and these suttas were memorized during the 40 odd years the Buddha taught the Dhamma. These suttas were organized in several different ways and written down shortly after the Parinibbana of the Buddha. The suttas are the closest thing available to what the Buddha taught.

One of the concepts that the Buddha taught is that of the 6 sense doors. Taste, touch, smell, sight, sound, and mind. Each gate has it's particular object, perception and consciousness. The important point concerning these doors is that craving and aversion develope as a result of pleasing and displeasing contact with these doors. So, wether the object is sensed with your fingers and eyes or your mind it doesn't matter. The idea that causes pleasure or pain is actually worse than the material objects because , as you said, it will initiate the activities that give rise to material manifestations. The Buddhas primary success was that he abandoned the practice of pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain through worldly means, or more accurately through interacting with the 6 sense doors. Spiritual materialism, as you put it, is just one manifestation of craving that arises. The zazen or anapannasati practitioner just watches it come and go, if this is done long enough the realization is that only in relation to that desire or aversion does any 'self' exist. Ultimately the citta or mind 'gives up' this craving and desire that seeks to motivate us through pleasure and pain, just like it would any unsuccessful behaviour, what is left is non craving, Nibanna. So any type of passion whatsoever (except that passion to develope the 8 fold noble path) runs counter to achieving that state of nibanna.

This is a very unpopular idea in western culture, that of renunciation (despite that this is exactly the practice recommended by Jesus). The reality is that if a nation of arahants (buddhist saints) came about they would be very boring to the rest of the world, mainly growing food to provide one meal a day to continue living , meditation, instructing those who ask for it, helping those who ask for it and that's about it. They wouldn't own flashlights because they would have no need to be rid of the dark.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, to continue, I flatly deny that a belief that matter is something more than "JUST" matter must be based on materialistic lust. We live in a world of matter as well as a world of spirit--the two interpenetrate one another--and thus there are many reasons why people value a material object, and many ways in which they value it.

An obsession is not cured by convincing the person that food, or wine, or flashlights, or pianos, etc. don't matter very much; that they are "just" flashlights, or "just" pianos. I believe that such obsession is a result of a lack of perspective, and a blindness to what is more important. Obsession is cured when it is put into proper relation and balance to everything else.

The true connoisseur--i.e. the true "knower"--knows that God is in all things, and speaks to us in many ways. And to those of us who are very luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He speaks to us through flashlights as well as through the other channels.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, where, how , why, is this 'spirit' that suddenly came into this? How did we even begin discussing the mundane/arcane nature of matter? Are you speaking of something like 'process'? That things interact, maybe? Or are you refering to aether? Or magical stuff that ebbs and flows through all nonmagical stuff? No offense but if we really want to say something it's important to limit what we talk about by agreeing on some level on what is real and what is not real. Belief in Ghosts and spirits and other metaphysical/magical stuff I've found to be a real hindrance to understanding and communication. They usurp the foundation of understanding. It's like if I suddenly decide to describe reality as the result of the ministrations of the handmaiden to a king in another universe called "Ordee". Sure , you, could respect my right to fill my head as I choose but really, anyone would have to recognize the futility of speaking with me on any commonly held belief because my chosen fantasies undermine all of these beliefs. Still, I could be 100% correct about "Ordee", we'll most likely never know.

I suspect, you are refering to a certain type of 'twilight' type mystical feeling that people get when they look out from high vistas or at rainbows or irridescence, or the rings of saturn, or stuff that glows in the dark, or clear skys at twilight when purple blue hues and brilliant points of starlight fill the eyes? I believe that you are romanceing the sensation of religious signifigance and tying it in to flashlights. I certainly agree that lasers and leds and hid's certainly do evoke these feelings in some people. They aren't any more signifigant than other feelings though. If you really want to experience some cosmic signifigance eat 4 grams of some types of psilocybe mushroom or take 200 mcg of acid, drink ayahuasca or smoke some dmt or smoke some bufo alvarius venom. Most of these have been included in ancient religious traditions in various forms. In fact dimethyltryptamine has even been isolated from human cerebrospinal fluid as a natural constituent. Or, if you prefer a more natural "God Buzz" go to a christian rock concert, hold your hands up and close your eyes and reflect on the glory of god and the supreme sacrifice made for us, you can't help but soon cry tears of joy that will bring you very close to the complete stranger to your right. This is naturally produced 'ecstacy'. Buddhists use this same kind of thing in the meditations on 'loving kindness' and when reflecting on the attributes of the Buddha. The purpose is to develope an internally pervasive positive feeling that stimulates and energizes a being to enable further meditation, altruistic behaviour towards others and a general sense of satisfaction and wellbeing that is independent of an external cause. This practice is of great benefit in the buddhist quest to be satisfied with as little as possible. It is my personal belief that this was what Christ meant when he spoke of the glory of god sustaining a person.

It doesn't matter how the pleasant sensation is classified, be it something 'spiritual' (this word gets bandied around way too much IMO) or charnal or adrenal or if it's the 'ah hah' sensation when you finally understand what you're trying to learn, when a pleasant sensation is evoked in a situation the mind latches onto that situation and wether we are aware of it or not it seeks to isolate the cause or causes for the pleasant sensation so that it can be repeated. It consciously or unconsciously evaluates the blend of discomfort vs pleasure and decides if it was worth the act. Many people quit meditating because they don't realize that much of it is intended to induce pleasure and it becomes work. Done properly meditation is very pleasurable at certain stages of "Jhana". Also, If people really want to understand drug addiction they need to stop studying the action of the drug and study the action of emotions that interrupt pleasureable sensations, like shame.

Deriving pleasure from an object(excluding substances that are much more direct in eliciting pleasure like food , drugs, etc) that is bought and sold is the root of materialism. Desiring this pleasure is a form of lust. Nothing unusual about this, it is part of human nature and we are all susceptible at one time or another. Even our most sacred emotions come down to this play of action motivated by acquiring pleasure and avoiding pain. Do you think that any mother and father would do what they do if a hugely complex dance of pleasure and pain didn't coax them into it? People really HATE to hear this though. To reduce the drama of human existence to the pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain elicits the same type responses as telling people they evolved from an ancestor we shared with chimpanzees. Most of this evaluation of pleasure and pain is done automatically and without awareness, this is why the Buddha constantly recommended mindfullness and wisdom born of it. To see the reality of the situation we find ourselves in , is to see dukkah or suffering.

As far as curing 'obsessions' goes, 'hitting bottom' is a time tested cliche. That's the point when a person realizes that a previously pleasurable behaviour is now , quite painful. This is the point when a person all of a sudden realizes that his mind is lying to him. That the messages to "go get this pleasure" or "go get that pleasure" are delusions and wrong and listening to them is painful . As you said , this is perpective. Mindfullness.

They are just flashlights. You may carry around a massive set of pleasurable interactions and memories in context with the flashlight but it's just a thing. If god is talking to you from a flashlight that is schizophrenia. The sentiment "god is in everything" sounds nice but essentially means nothing especially when ,like the guy who tried to convert the lion, some parts of "everything" have sharp teeth and want to eat you. If you are enjoying 'twilight' sensations in reference to flashlights then more power to you. The guy whose "rolling" hard and just wanted me to know how wonderful I am just danced down the hall with a glow stick.

Thanks for reading my rant,
Ken

Just for the record...

One of the most basic concepts of buddhism is that the "self" is a delusion.

The Buddha also explained that the existence or nonexistence of god/s , the nature of the universe and just about all other unanswerable ontological questions were not relevent to relieving human suffering.

Although many people and some buddhist teachers prescribe very specific positions , hand positions(mudras, I think), and breathing rhythms , the initial purpose of all of it is to develope the ability to fix the attention on an object for a long period (to begin it is usually the breath). This is a mental exercise and has nothing to do with harmonizing the material with the spiritual. Practical factors such as staying awake and being able to sit comfortably/stable for long periods influenced meditation positions the most.Walking meditation is also very common and was prescribed by the Buddha. Once the ability to concentrate is sufficently developed the meditation is changed to mental activities that utilize an enhanced ability to concentrate.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

xochi,

Thank you for your detailed explanations; they have made the differences in our positions clear to me, if not to others.

you say:

[ QUOTE ]
No offense but if we really want to say something it's important to limit what we talk about by agreeing on some level on what is real and what is not real. Belief in Ghosts and spirits and other metaphysical/magical stuff I've found to be a real hindrance to understanding and communication. They usurp the foundation of understanding. It's like if I suddenly decide to describe reality as the result of the ministrations of the handmaiden to a king in another universe called "Ordee". Sure , you, could respect my right to fill my head as I choose but really, anyone would have to recognize the futility of speaking with me on any commonly held belief because my chosen fantasies undermine all of these beliefs. Still, I could be 100% correct about "Ordee", we'll most likely never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree! What is important--in my opinion--is NOT to delimit the conversation or consideration at hand in any way. What is more important in a discussion between two people, than to understand what each person considers to be "real"? And what could be more important than to carefully, ever so carefully keep in mind that what we do not know about "reality" is critical and needs to have allowance made for it. So many of the fiascos of the modern world boil down to a "scientific" attitude that we know enough to start meddling with things like plant genetics and eco-systems and nuclear bombs.

But more importantly, I sincerely believe that in many ways, talking about "the ministrations of the handmaiden to a king in another universe called "Ordee"" just might reveal more about so-called reality than simply going about our mundane day, chopping wood, carrying water. And to my defense I call John Ronald Reuel Tolkien and his imaginary world of Middle Earth. Yes, you may call me deluded and benighted, but as a child I was more acquainted and more concerned with places and worlds of the imagination than with what some practical business men may call "reality". I knew that the world was alive with magic and wonder; I knew that the rivers ran with wine and that the apples were golden. When once I found a robin's nest full of indescribably beautiful pale blue eggs, I knew beyond any doubt that my intution of the world was right and that Fairy Land was more faithful to "reality" than Wall Street.

Here is a quote from G.K. Chesterton (not copyrighted, public domain):

[ QUOTE ]
The things I believed most then, the things I believe most now, are the things called fairy tales. They seem to me to be the entirely reasonable things. They are not fantasies: compared with them other things are fantastic. Compared with them religion and rationalism are both abnormal, though religion is abnormally right and rationalism abnormally wrong. Fairyland is nothing but the sunny country of common sense. It is not earth that judges heaven, but heaven that judges earth; so for me at least it was not earth that criticised elfland, but elfland that criticised the earth. I knew the magic beanstalk before I had tasted beans; I was sure of the Man in the Moon before I was certain of the moon. This was at one with all popular tradition. Modern minor poets are naturalists, and talk about the bush or the brook; but the singers of the old epics and fables were supernaturalists, and talked about the gods of brook and bush. That is what the moderns mean when they say that the ancients did not "appreciate Nature," because they said that Nature was divine. Old nurses do not tell children about the grass, but about the fairies that dance on the grass; and the old Greeks could not see the trees for the dryads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm laughing now, thinking of how you will react to this. Ah, well. Let's agree to disagree on this, shall we? I wish you well on your eight fold noble path: may your small self diminish from day to day until you realize that it never was to begin with.

For myself, I will continue to worship my God and see Him/Her in everything. I will continue to be happy and to see life as more than pleasure and pain, and to know that the self does exist, just as God exists. I will play my Bach and Chopin and Schubert and I will know that there is more than eating and sleeping. I will make my flashlight mods and joke with my CPF friends, and give flowers to my wife. And I will sit and watch the full moon rise and know that she is more than a giant rock in space.

For the record, I utterly reject your conflation and confusion of drug use, Dionysian ritual, religion and mysticism. If you think they are all essentially the same, so much the worse for you, and I am sorry.

And I wonder, if you believe that the self does not exist, and if your goal is to realize that truth, and that all passion is but the delusive seeking after pleasure and craven avoidance of pain, then what are you doing on this board? And what was the purpose of your post?

And why does the passion to be rid of passion have some priviledged position and avoid the stigma you would otherwise place on passion?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I think most people will agree that the *average* flashaholic is an ardent Hobbyist and has greater interest in them for them to be *just a flashlight* in the sense of using it and putting it down and forgetting you have it till you need it. Car enthusiasts don't just *drive* a car nor to music enthusiasts just *listen* to music but they try to notice subtle differences between different cars and music compositions and appreciate/critisize the pros and cons of such. A typical flashaholic wants to have a better flashlight that a common flashlight and know more about it, even to the point of building and modding them to either share their interest and enthusiasm. You don't see people going to concerts or buying muscle cars getting ostrasized for that yet you do not have to pay extra if it were just music or just cars. Flashaholics within reason have the right to spend effort,time,money,intelligence, and even be somewhat fanatic about their hobby/passion just as much as those buying fancy cars and having a wall full of CDs with a $3000.00+ stereo system. How much more useful is a muscle car than a cheap import as far as utilitarian? How much more useful is it to spend thousands going to countless concerts and having hundreds of CDs of music when you don't need it? The same applies to flashlights.

I can see where flashaholics become nuts just like people with uber tricked out cars and those with piles of music but if it doesn't interfere with finanacial obligations nor family/friends I see nothing more wrong with it than any other *collector* of stuff which can be LESS useful and MORE expensive.

I figure the average flashlight geek here uses at least 25% of his lights within a period of a year for something other than..... ooo a beamshot. I have got food in the freezer my aunt gave me that I may have to give away because I may never eat it. My aunt seems to collect food... thank God flashlights aren't edible or everyone would be a flashaholic and I would no longer be a weird flashaholic but just another foodaholic? YIKES at that idea.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

"For the record, I utterly reject your conflation and confusion of drug use, Dionysian ritual, religion and mysticism. If you think they are all essentially the same, so much the worse for you, and I am sorry."

Listen Jim, great for you , that you don't mind believing whatever feels good. If you're going to 'utterly reject' something at least do it on some basis that exists somewhere beside your own mind...communicate it! I said nothing of dionysian ritual (do some research and you'll see drugs though). What experience do you have with either of these, drugs or mysticism? You say you've practiced zazen for a few hours and read some books from the eastern religion section at barnes and noble. Ever taken part in an ayahuasca ceremony? I have. Using such a pop culture word like 'spirituality' is an insult to the whole thing. I use words like drugs so that people with massively limited perspectives (lowest common denominators)can at least understand one level of what is being said. What about fasting? Ever gone a week on water alone? I have. What about , 80 hours without sleep (without chemicals)? Read Tolkien all you want (read the trilogy 3 times myself) but don't think that silly , 9th grade english lit essay material is going to make what you said anything but: " I believe it because I want to , and I'm right. I feel sorry for you because you can't experience the wonder of my delusion. "

Jim, people like you are the reason there is so much violence in the world. People like you refuse to just LET PEOPLE FEEL GOOD! For some reason you and those like you insist that every good deed and every good feeling be steeped in cosmic signifigance. That is a total freaking nazi like attitude and you don't even realize that the source of wonder is the MUNDANE. For some reason, I believe it's a personal inadequacy, you must pull something from beyond the cosmos to give everything meaning otherwise you all just want to run off and blow your brains out because you can't take being without cosmic signifigance. Maybe it's being fed too much disney and tolkein. As soon as cosmic signifigance is even a little bit verified you are off on some kind of crusade.

People who believe anything , based on nothing, end up contributing nothing. So your luddite attitude of the evils of science and the superiority of ...fairy tales produces what? Sure as hell didn't get you to work or send the signal that lit up my screen.

Not to mention attempting to maintain anything like civility when you begin a paragraph with "I'm laughing now, thinking of how you will react to this". At least grow some balls and drop the passive aggressive bs. I don't pity you, or feel sorry for you. If I were to say that I'd be lieing to myself and being a slimy, self righteous sob. Really, I think you are a moron whose own self importance and overestimation of his own intelligence is threatened, therefore you start quoting literature and talking about fairies when If you had any respect for me, or yourself, you'd just say "Hey Man, I'm enjoying my fantasy, Don't rain on my parade" Or maybe you'd debate with some real facts rather than 'greeting card' prose.

Listen if this discussion is going to be placed up for a vote, surely, your 'skyhook' position will win more votes (your diction is pretty unoriginal, the listing of savored passions that you will continue, in particular). Personally I find reality and the process of discovering it (science) to be much more fantastic than the mental masturbation available from 'the New Age'.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like one more thing to not discuss. Now it's politics, religion and flashlights. Who would have thunk it?