They aren't just lights!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: They aren\'t just lights!

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:
"For the record, I utterly reject your conflation and confusion of drug use, Dionysian ritual, religion and mysticism. If you think they are all essentially the same, so much the worse for you, and I am sorry."

Listen Jim, great for you , that you don't mind believing whatever feels good. If you're going to 'utterly reject' something at least do it on some basis that exists somewhere beside your own mind...communicate it! I said nothing of dionysian ritual (do some research and you'll see drugs though). What experience do you have with either of these, drugs or mysticism? You say you've practiced zazen for a few hours and read some books from the eastern religion section at barnes and noble. Ever taken part in an ayahuasca ceremony? I have. Using such a pop culture word like 'spirituality' is an insult to the whole thing. I use words like drugs so that people with massively limited perspectives (lowest common denominators)can at least understand one level of what is being said. What about fasting? Ever gone a week on water alone? I have. What about , 80 hours without sleep (without chemicals)? Read Tolkien all you want (read the trilogy 3 times myself) but don't think that silly , 9th grade english lit essay material is going to make what you said anything but: " I believe it because I want to , and I'm right. I feel sorry for you because you can't experience the wonder of my delusion. "

Jim, people like you are the reason there is so much violence in the world. People like you refuse to just LET PEOPLE FEEL GOOD! For some reason you and those like you insist that every good deed and every good feeling be steeped in cosmic signifigance. That is a total freaking nazi like attitude and you don't even realize that the source of wonder is the MUNDANE. For some reason, I believe it's a personal inadequacy, you must pull something from beyond the cosmos to give everything meaning otherwise you all just want to run off and blow your brains out because you can't take being without cosmic signifigance. Maybe it's being fed too much disney and tolkein. As soon as cosmic signifigance is even a little bit verified you are off on some kind of crusade.

People who believe anything , based on nothing, end up contributing nothing. So your luddite attitude of the evils of science and the superiority of ...fairy tales produces what? Sure as hell didn't get you to work or send the signal that lit up my screen.

Not to mention attempting to maintain anything like civility when you begin a paragraph with "I'm laughing now, thinking of how you will react to this". At least grow some balls and drop the passive aggressive bs. I don't pity you, or feel sorry for you. If I were to say that I'd be lieing to myself and being a slimy, self righteous sob. Really, I think you are a moron whose own self importance and overestimation of his own intelligence is threatened, therefore you start quoting literature and talking about fairies when If you had any respect for me, or yourself, you'd just say "Hey Man, I'm enjoying my fantasy, Don't rain on my parade" Or maybe you'd debate with some real facts rather than 'greeting card' prose.

Listen if this discussion is going to be placed up for a vote, surely, your 'skyhook' position will win more votes (your diction is pretty unoriginal, the listing of savored passions that you will continue, in particular). Personally I find reality and the process of discovering it (science) to be much more fantastic than the mental masturbation available from 'the New Age'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xochi, this is out of line. You misunderstood me and my comments, especially the one about "I'm laughing now". I don't know where all your anger and offensive language comes from, nor why you thought you needed to spell out your credentials and belittle mine, but I wasn't "laughing at you" in the sense of dismissing or making fun of you. I was laughing because of the difference between us and how you would probably react strongly to my position. I did not for a moment think that you would react as strongly as you did.

You go so far as to link me and my thinking with violence and compare it to the Nazi's?

Might I suggest, to start, that you do not know me very well, nor is it very sound or safe to extrapolate a persons philosophy and entire view of life from a few exchanges in a thread.

Let me start with my credentials. You say,

[ QUOTE ]
Really, I think you are a moron whose own self importance and overestimation of his own intelligence is threatened, therefore you start quoting literature and talking about fairies when If you had any respect for me, or yourself, you'd just say "Hey Man, I'm enjoying my fantasy, Don't rain on my parade" Or maybe you'd debate with some real facts rather than 'greeting card' prose.

Listen if this discussion is going to be placed up for a vote, surely, your 'skyhook' position will win more votes (your diction is pretty unoriginal, the listing of savored passions that you will continue, in particular). Personally I find reality and the process of discovering it (science) to be much more fantastic than the mental masturbation available from 'the New Age'.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I'd say you've really gone over the top here. My intelligence was not threatened by anything that you said, and I did not say "Hey, man, I'm enjoying my fantasy. Don't rain on my parade" because it is NOT my position. I do not believe in whatever makes me feel good. Really, xochi, what's going on here, cause I must have missed it? I mean, why are you so outraged? Can't you accept the possiblity that I have good reason for believing what I believe, and that it is not "nothing based on nothing contributing nothing"?

Anyway, yes, my credentials. I have a Masters degree in Physics and an undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics with concentrations in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. I am currently one of only 8 operators here at Cornell University's positron-electron collider, known by its' acronym CESR (Cornell Electron Storage Ring). When I am on shift I oversee the entire operation of this extremely complex machine, from the creation of the electroncs at the "gun" and the positrons at the tungsten target (high energy electrons bombard the high-Z tungsten atoms and through bremsstrahlung radiation positron-electron pairs are created from which we collect the positrons) through to filling the storage ring and bringing the two beams into collision in the detector. I am responsible for repairing or replacing many of the components in the accelerator, should something fail while I am on shift, and I am the second person in charge of the surveying and alignment group, responsible for placing all of the components in the ring to within a mm of their design position.

In the middle of getting my Masters, I took a leave of absence to apprentice to tune, repair, refinish, and rebuild grand and upright pianos. After completing my two year apprenticeship I went on to work for a year at Ithaca Piano Rebuilders here in Ithaca NY. I can (and do) put a concert level tuning on a piano, and I have completely rebuilt many different pianos, both grand and upright.

I have also taught 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science, as well as English and Catechism, to my students at an inner city Catholic school in Syracuse, NY.

I have mastered Mathematics through the graduate level of Partial Differential Equations and Differential Geometry (the Mathematics of n-dimensional curved surfaces and spaces, and also the Mathematics used to describe General Relativity). I have derived the Lorentz Transformations of Special Relativity on my own, from scratch.

I can read Latin and Attic Greek. I can read Chaucer in the Middle English, and can recite the Prologue from memory.

So you see, I hardly think I am a stranger to reality and "the process of discovering it" which you call science.

Perhaps my diction is unoriginal. So what? The question is not whether it is original or not, but whether what I am saying is TRUE or not.

Now, I honestly and sincerely apologize if you found my posts to be belitting or condescending or insulting. I solemnly swear that I did not intend for them to come across that way.

I have a good friend who is a Tibetan Buddhist, and we discuss our differences at length, and we quite enjoy doing so. I have complete respect for his position; it's just that I don't believe it and don't agree with it.

Let me start again on the question of what you were saying about drug use and religion and what not. You said:

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect, you are refering to a certain type of 'twilight' type mystical feeling that people get when they look out from high vistas or at rainbows or irridescence, or the rings of saturn, or stuff that glows in the dark, or clear skys at twilight when purple blue hues and brilliant points of starlight fill the eyes? I believe that you are romanceing the sensation of religious signifigance and tying it in to flashlights. I certainly agree that lasers and leds and hid's certainly do evoke these feelings in some people. They aren't any more signifigant than other feelings though. If you really want to experience some cosmic signifigance eat 4 grams of some types of psilocybe mushroom or take 200 mcg of acid, drink ayahuasca or smoke some dmt or smoke some bufo alvarius venom. Most of these have been included in ancient religious traditions in various forms. In fact dimethyltryptamine has even been isolated from human cerebrospinal fluid as a natural constituent. Or, if you prefer a more natural "God Buzz" go to a christian rock concert, hold your hands up and close your eyes and reflect on the glory of god and the supreme sacrifice made for us, you can't help but soon cry tears of joy that will bring you very close to the complete stranger to your right. This is naturally produced 'ecstacy'.

[/ QUOTE ]

And even after re-reading it, it still seems to me to put true religios experience, such as found in meditation or mental prayer, on a par with taking drugs. To my mind there is a difference both in kind and in degree. Do you disagree with me on this? And if so, do you think drugs can be used to bring about enlightenment?

You also say:

[ QUOTE ]
The reality is that if a nation of arahants (buddhist saints) came about they would be very boring to the rest of the world, mainly growing food to provide one meal a day to continue living , meditation, instructing those who ask for it, helping those who ask for it and that's about it. They wouldn't own flashlights because they would have no need to be rid of the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is what I was thinking about when I was talking about the passions and chopping wood, carrying water. From my own understanding of these things (very limited) and from what you have said and what my Buddhist friend has said, I see that in such a complete Buddhist society Art and Technology and many other things would have a character that would be completely different than most of us are used to. I see that someone like Beethoven or Schubert would not exist, because to place oneself so totally in the service of music (in this case) would be contrary to the teachings of the Buddha.

Is this a correct perception?

Now, as for "New Age" and it's relation to me, I would bet you any amount of money that if you asked any of my friends or family (or acquaintances) if I was into "New Age" philosophy, he or she would laugh out loud--again, not AT you, but at the huge difference between the assertion and the reality.

I do not go out in the woods looking for Fairies.

I do not believe that Fairies exist in this world.

I do not own crystals or consult my Horoscope or do Tarot readings.

I have no truck with such things.

What I was trying to say about Faerie was simply that it is a much truer description of the real world than anything science can offer.

If you think about it, everything important is invisible and inaccessible to science proper. My wife is invisible, in the sense that the most important part of her can not be seen or measured by any scientific instrument. Her soul, her personality, her emotions, her thoughts--these are all invisible, except in their effects. And this is the only way that science can study them. Science can see the effect of depression or anger on brain chemistry, but that is not the same as the way that I see them in my wife, or she sees them in herself.

To illustrate my point, consider a printed book. To an animal, the book is only another object of a certain shape and size and texture, and nothing more. To an illiterate savage, or primitive human, the book will be seen as something made by other humans, but the little black marks on the page will be only that: little black marks. To a foreigner, the book will be seen as a book, as something that contains words and sentences and paragrahps and chapters: in other words, MEANING. He or she may not know what it says, but just knowing that it says something, means that he or she has understood the most important, the most essential thing about the book. And finally, to a native speaker, the book is a book that can be read, that tells a story or conveys information.

Science studies the book of the world at the level of little black marks. It excludes from the beginning any higher grade of significance (much the same way you excluded "spirit" from consideration). Science has nothing to say about the soul or about what the world "means." And this is all well and good for science, and as a scientist, that is the way that I have trained my mind to think--when I want to.

But the problem comes when people extrapolate from this that the world is nothing but atoms in motion. This is exactly like saying that a book is nothing but black marks on a page. It is factually correct at that lower grade of significance, but totally untrue.

This is what I mean when I say that Fairy Land is a better and true description of the world than a practical, matter of fact, scientific or business-like description.

Consider the unique tone and atmosphere which is found in the fairy tale. Let me state it this way by paraphrasing from more of Chesterton, and some of Tolkien: there are certain sequences or developments which are, in the true sense of the word, REASONABLE. Such would be the logical and mathematical sequences. If Cinderellas sisters are OLDER than she is, then it is NECESSARILY so that she is younger than they are. There is no way out of it. If Jack is the son of a miller, then a miller is the father of Jack.

But fairy tales avoid the scientific reductionism that puts things like sunrise and gravity and history on the same level, as if THEY were rational and inevitable. You can easily imagine a world where things are different, but you could never imagine a world where two horses and one horse did not make three horses.

Thus you are left with the truly (in my opinion) important things about life. You are left with things like free-will and good and bad intentions, and honesty and dishonesty, and with the wonder of things as they are.

I have absolutely nothing against the mundane, despite your accusation. I know that the mundane is WONDERFUL and full of magic. I believe that in the fairy tale, the apple is made to be golden to remind us for one startling second that they are green and red. It's wonderful; it is, strictly speaking, magical. i.e. it could have been otherwise, and certainly is otherwise in other worlds. I don't need to "pull" some significance in from beyond in order to prevent myself from blowing my brains out. I believe that the significance is there, if you only know how to READ it, and we all do to some extent.

I have absolutely no problem letting people feel good. I'm happy to let them feel however they want. But I do not believe that I should restrict myself to the so-called mundane. I do not see why I shouldn't live also for art and science and hobbies and love.

You know, you still haven't answered my questions: what is your purpose in all of this? I know initially that you wanted to present the other side of the argument about flashlights and their use--and that was appropriate--but what are you doing now? I honestly want to know, because it seems to me that if you truly believe that the self is a delusion, why are you getting angry at me? Why are you arguing with me?

And if you think--as it seems you are saying--that I am somehow damaging the minds and lives of others in taking the position that I do, then isn't this a belief in a significance in actions which goes beyond the material? This I would place in the realm of the spiritual, of the moral.

If you were just meditating in a small house with a large garden, quietly and calmly going about your daily life (for which I would honestly admire you) then that would be self-consistent with your position as I see it. But by arguing with me on these things, and even insulting my person, my intelligence, my intentions, as well as my position, you seem to me to be acting against your stated philosophy. The talk does not coincide with the walk, as I presently see it.

I do not say this to anger you or to attack you, but rather to point to a question and confusion about your position in my own mind. If you would like to explain it to me, I will do my best to try to grasp it, and I would appreciate the same good-will from you.

udaman

Banned

Eeeee...gads js, oh my aching brain! Too much information to process in your long posts, error message, endless loop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Ooooh, two 'hot heads' going at it; cat fight, cat fight! (j/k, j/k; no offense intended).

How soon we forget the LA riots, Rodney my man (dressed up in non-confrontational conservative sweater as puppet prop by his Beverly Hills attorney) "Can we, can we all just get along" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmmm, Eistein, Genius of our time used maybe 10% of brain capacity. He was Jewish and believed in religion, but that is of no matter to an argument such as these. Arguments like this thread and politics, religion and so forth...well they typically end up putting me to sleep with boredom, because people already have their points of view which are unlikely to be changed anytime soon. "Rational, logical"...purely fictational subjective terminology, IMHO. Science can never really explain 'everything under the sun', it is outside of our comprehension/consciousness. Irrelevant and moot points, therefore...waste of time for me to consider ad nauseum.

As humans we are all too primitive to truly understand the "meaning" of life. Meditate for your entire life if you so desire, but you cannot ever comprehend the 'design' or meaning of 'life' or the 'universe'...not a possibility being a human. A million years evolution, would that change the basics of understanding...I don't think so. 'Enlightenment' is like anything else, it's in your own mind. Believe as you might that it can come from the exterior, but that is just a falicy of your own mind.

I'm a bit too practical, logical for these extended dialogs, hehe; sort of like Mr. Spock from StarTrek (Ok I have my one weakness, there must be a divine entity...how else could we explain Gaawwdess Supreme JA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

How many grams of 'shrooms' was that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Back in my college days, like Steve-O (fearless LEADER) Jobs of Apple Computer, Inc fame, I dabbled in those substances a half dozen times, but 200mics of LSD, umm thats minimum amount for any noticeable effects. Then again with my practical/logical mindset, 3 hits, where others we're seeing colors and properly in the mood for suggestion on one hit, did not do much of anything to me, except act like 20 cups of 24hrs worth of js's coffee addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, Oh, and lots of anxiety, but no real hallucinations at all, no mind/personality breakdowns, enlightenment, reconfigurations, la dee dah, etc. Again, must have been my non-suggestive, Spock like mentality...either that or I'm a natural born heavy-weight stoner dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif. Oh well, those alterted states are kind of either anxiety prone, or just become boring after a time. Then again, non-drugged states can become boring. Rudeness is a human flaw that is pervasive at any level of consciousness...sadly, this is the current state of human evolution(our own primitiveness, de-evolution??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . My own sense is that like drugs or pretty much anything else, religion (damn those radical, fundamentalist, terrorist, wacko, delusional, flashaholics...those evil souls must be cleansed and rooted out for the sake of humanity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) is another one of those things where 'mindset' for 'suggestion' is necessary.

I have more low level considerations, in helping my mother deal with another round of rigorous, physically challenging 6-8wks of chemo/therapy. Try it sometime (and many of you will, if you live long enough), it will either send you to religion, or make you more grounded, to focus on the immediate, and appreciate what little fragile, short life you have on this planet---that which most of us squander or waste until it is too late.

Ok, rant done; back to you guys, maybe better done on the CPF Underground.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've changed my mind after weighing everyone's thoughts. I do truly appreciate all your thoughts in helping me put flashlights into proper perspective. After all this "discussion", I have decided they are just flashlights.

Any association to your god, religion, diety, philosphy or whatever is your business. If you want to assign more importance to these gadgets and get into heated debates, spend hours writing lengthy diatribes, and getting all frothy at the mouth have a good time.

I like flashlights, they are useful, sometimes necessary, and cool. Outside of that, I don't give them much "deep thought" consideration.

Just remember one thing, the answer to life the universe and everything is 42. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike & udaman,

I can understand how you feel! And thanks for the tip on "42", Mike. Good point.

However, I don't think that I was getting "all frothy at the mouth", and I do think that I have a right to defend myself against the charge of being

[ QUOTE ]
a moron whose own self importance and overestimation of his own intelligence is threatened, therefore you start quoting literature and talking about fairies when If you had any respect for me, or yourself, you'd just say "Hey Man, I'm enjoying my fantasy, Don't rain on my parade" Or maybe you'd debate with some real facts rather than 'greeting card' prose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am quite sure that I am entitled to share my thoughts on flashlights and to agree or disagree with whomever I want, as long as I am civil about it.

Any subject can turn into a philosophical or religious conversation, or discussion, or argument. The fault is not with finding joy and significance in flashlights, but rather with myself and xochi. For whatever reasons, we have failed to maintain a cordial exchange of ideas and opinions. This is bound to happen from time to time, and we should all try to bear with each other and try all the harder to understand one another. And hey, even if we DON'T understand each other, we can still respect everyone and what they have to say, right?

And we could even avoid participating or reading all such conversations entirely, which is often the only route left to take at certain points, but you never know, conversations can surprise you. I am open to having a continued and civil conversation with xochi if he wants to.

Because people can see God in many different things and in many different ways. To a musician like Beethoven, the piano was not just a piano, and music was so much more than just a job.

Flashlights are pretty obviously symbolic, given that they make LIGHT, and allow one to see in the darkness. Is it so strange and offensive that I see them as representing something more? Is it so wrong of me to defend and explain my position? I did so from a feeling of joy and not from a desire for conflict or argument; hence the poetic language. If xochi wants to reduce it to me hearing God speaking English out of the tail end of a flashlight, he is free to do so, but I am also free to reject this reduction.

Also, did I mention that I don't appreciate being called a moron? Maybe I am, but such ad hominem attacks are best taken elsewhere.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim,

I do agree that people should not be calling anyone any names and be polite and respectful. Yes, you have the right to express your opinions and defend yourself.

Ok, I have a little story to tell you. It's a story about my two dogs Sidney and Cody. No, I am not calling you or anyone else a dog or anything like that.

Anyway, they each have their own doghouse that are about 12 feet apart with the doors facing each other. Sidney normally hangs out inside her house with her head and front legs somewhat out the front door so she can keep an eye on things.

Across from her is Cody, she often times hangs out inside her house in the same manner as Sidney. Though sometimes she decides she would rather come out and stand on the roof of her house.

When Cody gets on her roof she will then start staring at Sidney across from her who is pretty much dozing, drooling and doing dog stuff and generally minding her own business. Cody will then start barking at Sidney for no aparent reason. Sidney does her best to ignore Cody but reaches the point where she barks back.

So now you have these two dogs who really are pretty good buddies barking at each other. I am sure in their own way they both feel that what they are barking about is of the utmost importance and more "right" than the others bark. Since we live on acreage and have no neighbors it doesn't bother anyone. It can be quite entertaining to watch all of this, trust me.

Anyhow, Cody barks, Sidney feels compelled to bark back, so on and so on. Eventually, Sidney takes offense to how Cody barked, which I am sure Cody called Sidney a name in dog language. Sidney then rushes Cody's dog house. Since Sidney can't get up on the roof, she just goes back to her house. Sometimes when Cody gets down, Sidney will run over there and push her around a little bit because she still isn't all that happy with being called a name in dog language.

Cody, will then get back on her roof and start the entire process all over again. At which point I have determined that they now need some fun time and I take them out for a nice little run in their 25,000 (yes thats 25K) square foot fenced yard. Because they both agree that running around and jumping on their people is the funnest thing to do. After that, everybody is back to being buddies and we all return to doing our normal get along type stuff.

If I could, I would take everyone who is involved with this thread and run them around a bit so we can get back to normal get along type stuff.

But since I can't, I would hope that those who disagree can agree to continue disagreeing and that it is really quite alright to do so and still get along and maybe even toss in an apology for calling anyone they disagreed with names then we can all agree that this would be much more agreeable than calling each other names even though we disagree with each other.

Agreed?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike,

Agreed.

You are right. Very, VERY apt analogy. I actually PM'ed xochi an apology and I have offered to edit my posts.

Yeah, I'm one of those dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Or maybe a combination of both of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But hey, dogs are pretty groovy, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Except for the drooling and scratching all over this thread. Oh well. I just started it for fun and for the love of flashlights. Sorry everyone for all the bad blood.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

That takes me back to High school Lit. class. Our teacher was a Chaucer nut, and he made us all memorize and recite The Prologue. We had a contest who could recite the most from memory. Needless to say, I was not the winner...

Now the funny part about this is that when I get together with some of my old school buddies and we consume a bit of mead, there is a strange tendency for us to spontaneously begin reciting The Prologue. It usually ends up becoming a contest of seeing who can remember the most lines, though none of us typically makes it past what is quoted above... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Peter

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Mike,

Agreed.

You are right. Very, VERY apt analogy. I actually PM'ed xochi an apology and I have offered to edit my posts.

Yeah, I'm one of those dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Or maybe a combination of both of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But hey, dogs are pretty groovy, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Except for the drooling and scratching all over this thread. Oh well. I just started it for fun and for the love of flashlights. Sorry everyone for all the bad blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOOF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Mike & udaman,

I can understand how you feel! And thanks for the tip on "42", Mike. Good point.

However, I don't think that I was getting "all frothy at the mouth", and I do think that I have a right to defend myself against the charge of being

[ QUOTE ]
a moron whose own self importance and overestimation of his own intelligence is threatened, therefore you start quoting literature and talking about fairies when If you had any respect for me, or yourself, you'd just say "Hey Man, I'm enjoying my fantasy, Don't rain on my parade" Or maybe you'd debate with some real facts rather than 'greeting card' prose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am quite sure that I am entitled to share my thoughts on flashlights and to agree or disagree with whomever I want, as long as I am civil about it.

Any subject can turn into a philosophical or religious conversation, or discussion, or argument. The fault is not with finding joy and significance in flashlights, but rather with myself and xochi. For whatever reasons, we have failed to maintain a cordial exchange of ideas and opinions. This is bound to happen from time to time, and we should all try to bear with each other and try all the harder to understand one another. And hey, even if we DON'T understand each other, we can still respect everyone and what they have to say, right?

And we could even avoid participating or reading all such conversations entirely, which is often the only route left to take at certain points, but you never know, conversations can surprise you. I am open to having a continued and civil conversation with xochi if he wants to.

Because people can see God in many different things and in many different ways. To a musician like Beethoven, the piano was not just a piano, and music was so much more than just a job.

Flashlights are pretty obviously symbolic, given that they make LIGHT, and allow one to see in the darkness. Is it so strange and offensive that I see them as representing something more? Is it so wrong of me to defend and explain my position? I did so from a feeling of joy and not from a desire for conflict or argument; hence the poetic language. If xochi wants to reduce it to me hearing God speaking English out of the tail end of a flashlight, he is free to do so, but I am also free to reject this reduction.

Also, did I mention that I don't appreciate being called a moron? Maybe I am, but such ad hominem attacks are best taken elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, but js you are a moron! (j/k, j/k). Now how would you tend to blow your top, if a Superior Court Judge, biased as sin, is supposed to be intelligent, supposed to be an outstanding jurist, sits there on his sanctimonious arse behind the bench, with only mere allegations from opposing counsel, claiming all kinds of incendiary falsehoods...and that BFS judge says to you "it will be no problem for me to lock you up"...and js's reaction if he were in my shoes, having been royally reamed about a matter far more important than some tit for tat dialog on CPF, were to tell the judge to 'shove it' a la Kerry's wife? Oh that gets you $1,000 fine and up to one week in jail at the judges' discretion for contempt of court. But if you are not intimidated by a judges' maniacal, emotional outbursts and tirades; because you know that California Code allows you to have the judge removed via preemptory challenge for bias, and that at most, even if convicted on a charge of criminal contempt for violating the court's order, you'd get 6 months(3mo., time off for good behavior) in County Jail on a misdemeanor)...it allows you to ignore such rants from supposed intelligent individuals. Heck, I've been around too many suppposedly high IQ's individuals in my lifetime to get excited about much of anything now. Hehe, but being of logical/practical Spock like mindset, umm so what if a judge or anyone else spews from his BFS mouth, in utter and complete bias, wool-pulled-over the sheep's head; sucker who believes 'the boy who cried wolf'? You learn to focus on what is important and don't let trivial matters upset you. Focus on what is important...see what happens when you get stuck on fixed focus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif...cammed operation rules!

BTW js, "Jane, you ignorant slut!" (SNL skit from the late '70's) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, do you get the drift of the message? (yeah, and hurry up and get back to work on the 'real' Ultimate EDC, the "JA special"...never know when I might run across her in the hardware store and need to umm, pull out and show her my special, magical flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ). [ QUOTE ]
Flashlights are pretty obviously symbolic

[/ QUOTE ] Oh man, am I in trouble then, like Pres. Clinton?

Personally, getting OT, but Beethoven? Umm, well that's kind of speculation on your part; but I have to say, the 'vibe' and character/spirit of living life of Vladimir Horowitz, the soothing sounds of Segovia's guitar playingSegovia, are human inspirations, not divine this or that...who cares about some unknown 'divine entity or spirit'? Enjoy what you have now around you in your life now, that is what is important. Aurora is Ginny's claim to fame, but his most impressive 'production' so far would be his daughter... thought we were in agreement about that at least... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

42? Geez js, does that mean you're a boring old fart like Ginny and me? Life is short, fleeting, fragile; why waste your time defending yourself about 'much ado about nothing'?

Ok, back to Coldplay's song 'Clocks' and pics of JA...when js, are we going to get the "JA Special" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif? Let's worry about that for now; and tackle the meaning of life, flashlights, and whatever, some other time when we are too old to do anything other than talk about it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oodles,

Yeah, I probably am a moron, or at least am lacking in some basic wisdom! Oh well. Anyway, you're right. Focus on what's important.

And, BTW oodles, that is a very religious sentiment. None of what you have said in your two LONG posts has been contrary to religion. In particular,

[ QUOTE ]
I have more low level considerations, in helping my mother deal with another round of rigorous, physically challenging 6-8wks of chemo/therapy. Try it sometime (and many of you will, if you live long enough), it will either send you to religion, or make you more grounded, to focus on the immediate, and appreciate what little fragile, short life you have on this planet---that which most of us squander or waste until it is too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

this paragraph. And I do not think that those two different possible results are in opposition, and may be the very same thing.

Many people get turned off by religious language, or words such as "spirit" or "God" or "the Divine" and I understand that. I used to be such a person in my college days. Still, almost all people have some word or phrase or description for what others call "God". For example:

[ QUOTE ]
who cares about some unknown 'divine entity or spirit'? Enjoy what you have now around you in your life now, that is what is important. Aurora is Ginny's claim to fame, but his most impressive 'production' so far would be his daughter... thought we were in agreement about that at least...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us who care about "some divine entity" believe that life is full of meaning and lessons and joy and wonder. I have reflected on my ill advised argument with xochi, and I see more than one lesson to be drawn from it. And the more I try to be aware of what God is trying to teach me and what God wants me to do, the more obvious it is to me that it is all carefully orchestrated. It's uncanny, really. Not too long ago I witnessed one of the people with whom I work blow up over misplacing his keys. He swore and lost his temper, and I could see how silly and inappropriate his response was. Yet, one thing I did not do was realize that I have done the same thing or something different but even worse, and that instead of looking at the situation with a critical eye, I should have istead tried to find some way to help, even if only by saying a prayer. And not two hours later I did the exact same thing over something else--I misplaced the advil bottle I had JUST had in my hand--and right in the middle of it I realized what I was doing.

Last night I was pondering whether or not xochi wasn't pulling out some bit of crazy wisdom in an effort to show me my "self", intentionally trying to make me angry to try to peel away what he saw as a false surface of New Agey b.s. Maybe so, maybe not, but either way my responses to him were inappropriate.

And Mike, I was thinking about your Dogs. As someone who spends a lot of time with animals, you must know that they are more than a collection of wants and drives and pleasure-pain complexes. You must know, in short, that they have souls. Or if you don't like that word, you must know that they have emotions and thoughts and feelings, and that no other dog could take the place of Cody or Sidney.

To see God in everything is to try to appreciate how precious and wonderful each moment, each being, each thing, each experience of existence is.

As I said before, people are more important than any material object, flashlights or otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx Arc said

I think most people will agree that the *average* flashaholic is an ardent Hobbyist and has greater interest in them for them to be *just a flashlight* in the sense of using it and putting it down and forgetting you have it till you need it. Car enthusiasts don't just *drive* a car nor to music enthusiasts just *listen* to music but they try to notice subtle differences between different cars and music compositions and appreciate/critisize the pros and cons of such. A typical flashaholic wants to have a better flashlight that a common flashlight and know more about it, even to the point of building and modding them to either share their interest and enthusiasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Well said.

When I was in the middle of the TigerLight upgrades build run, I never had a working TL for more than an hour or two, because I was always using them to slow charge the battery packs and they were always open and disassembled. I didn't mind. I didn't need a working TL to support my happiness or anything. I was too busy building battery packs and potting lamps and modding reflectors and charging circuits. I got by well enough with my E2e. It's not the HAVING and OWNING, it's the craft and the recognition of all the care and attention and effort that has gone into the creation of something like the SF E2e or Ginseng's Aurora.

Probably this is all largely a matter of semantics, anyway. So enough. I'll shut up now.

Except for one last dig at oodles:

[ QUOTE ]
oodles said:

Eeeee...gads js, oh my aching brain! Too much information to process in your long posts, error message, endless loop

[/ QUOTE ]

HA HAA! SWEET REVENGE! Now you know you Ginny and I feel reading your monster litanies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif j/k j/k j/k

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard there was this train wreck over in the Cafe so I came over to take a look and...AAAAIIIAIAAEEEEE!

That's all. I have nothing constructive to add.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:

I don't know, personally, I think it's more rational and more realistic to accept the reality that offensive things are going to be said and become capable of dealing with being called names. When I was a kid when someone said something offensive to us we chanted a saying about sticks and stones but I'm afraid that these days I might get banned for it for promoting violence.

It does really suck that people can be mean. It really sucks that nice people act mean sometimes to impress their friends. I think that being able to say what I want and accepting the statements from those who disagree is much better than having to micromanage every word that I say. Diversity of mind is much more important than diversity of the outer package and I find that those who seek to enforce politeness really only end up unintentionally persecuting the true human nature that exists in all of us reguardless of external packaging.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking through xochi's posts and I found this. Thought it was well said and interesting in the present context. I especially like the last sentence.

On another note, CPFer "JRS" is my brother, and was being ironic in his "Who is the js hothead, anyway?" post. Unfortunately, I can't post to that thread and explain this, since it was locked before I got on-line.

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:

Diversity of mind is much more important than diversity of the outer package and I find that those who seek to enforce politeness really only end up unintentionally persecuting the true human nature that exists in all of us regardless of external packaging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, so there's that good and darkside in all of us, and rudeness is therefore part of the "true human nature"? Yeah well; I went to a fight yesterday, and a hockey match broke out, no it was a basketball game, no it was a college football game, no it was 5 hunters gunned down in Wisconsin over argument of private land hunting stand territory...argh I give up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Regardless of true human nature, more advanced, civilized populations will someday come to pass. For my part, I am no doubt going to be forever disappointed and unimpressed with the status quo. I make it a goal to improve upon weakness, raise the bar, seek a higher level goodness (whatever you wish to define goodness as).

From my favorite 'Northern Exposure TV series epi(you'd have to see the whole episode to appreciate the message/meaning/humor):

"There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vadar in all of us. Thing is, this ain't no either/or proposition. We're talking about dialectics, the good and the bad merging into us. You can run but you can't hide. My experience? Face the darkness, stare it down. Own it. As brother Nietzsche said, being human is a complicated gig. Give that old dark night of the soul a hug! Howl the eternal yes!"

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
On another note, CPFer "JRS" is my brother, and was being ironic in his "Who is the js hothead, anyway?" post. Unfortunately, I can't post to that thread and explain this, since it was locked before I got on-line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I was wondering if "JRS" could have been that hothead js himself, poking fun at himself, because of the 1st post nature. But double registration can get you banned, yes? Ah well, maybe I can help to lock this thread too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif---which I'm kind of surprised was not locked, before that other facetious thread was started? Can we ban that darned troll "JRS", who obviously has no sense of humor at all (wink, wink). Admns can unlock a thread as they please to allow an explanation, but in the case of this thread, I doubt they would have reason to. No matter how many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif icons you place, some will always not see humor or take exception to something...unfortunate 'side-effect' of diversity?

Cool, two brotherly hotheads; double your pleasure, double your fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif