Thwarting flashlight leeches

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Doug,

I agree with Omega Man- that's a great idea. The only problem is, you have to understand the leech mentality. The typical leech will still find some way to have fun with it, and maybe do a little accompanying "I've got someone else's stuff and I don't need my own" dance, and act like it's a very funny joke, and then come back to ask for it again.

Omega Man,
I love the Police (musicians). Great song. Have you heard it or are you a timepiece conniseur, or both?

Tom,
I'm at the point now where I'm using a Photon on my keyring so hopefully the idea of someone borrowing my keys just for a light that they should have anyway will appear at least a little ludicrous.

Thanks for the input, guys. Nice to vent a little where other people are likely to understand!

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
You can do the same thing they do to restroom keys at some convenience stores. Chain your loaner light to an old steel tire rim!

Also, add a big sign saying "STOLEN FROM _______"

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take note of who uses your flashlights most, and then give them flashlights for birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, whatever. If they still want to borrow your lights, ask them what happened to the one you gave them as an anniversary (or other occasion) gift.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I love the "embarassing toy light that they'll always return" idea , and the "shake light" idea, but here's another:

Get a cheap light to use as the loaner and take a cash deposit on the light. I assure you this will be very effective. Either they won't pony up the cash in the first place, or they'll be sure to get the light back to you. And if they don't, you buy another cheap light with the deposit. And if/when that gets tiresome, learn the word "No". It's distressing to hear but can be a lot of fun to say. And if pressed for why the answer is "No", simply tell them. The truth is an incredible weapon when used properly. :)

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Take note of who uses your flashlights most, and then give them flashlights for birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, whatever. If they still want to borrow your lights, ask them what happened to the one you gave them as an anniversary (or other occasion) gift.

I did that one year. I gave out the not to shabby 2AA Rayovac "Industrial" incans. They took them home. Maybe you folks live somewhere besides the southeast and live/work around more intelligent people than I do. :ohgeez:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Dorcy AAA and hook a chain attached to a big chunck of wood (10 inch 2x4) to it...use a wood burning thing and put some saying on it. OFFICIAL TOILET INSPECTION LIGHT...WEAR GLOVES DURING USE...and put a bio-hazard warning label on it. I don`t know...something to make their co-workers snicker at them.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
I bought my boss and my entire crew the new Minimag LED AA's and told them that I bought it for them cause I hate it when you borrow mine (SF E2L), they all laughed.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new idea...I have one of the original Inova X1 and a new type. Look the same on the out side. Hand them the original if they want to begger one. They`ll see you using it...having no problems, but when they borrow it ...WTF.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
infection0 said:
or buy 20 photon clones from Dae at $14 and sell them off for 2 bucks each to your coworkers...

That gets my vote. Followed by just saying no. Some of these ideas are ingenious and would be worth doing just for the entertainment value. :thumbsup:

:buddies:

I have the same problem with people I go urban exploration with not bringing their gloves, flashlight or P100 respirator.

I lend out a Mag 2D that permanently sits in the car, but I don't have an extra set of respirator.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound said:
I think the flashlight leeches would go away if your loaner was a Divalight.

Thanks LumenHound - great flashlight find!

That DivaLight looks like a real bargain at only $17.00 - think I'll order one for the car.

How did you ever happen across the DivaLight?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Thanks LumenHound - great flashlight find!

That DivaLight looks like a real bargain at only $17.00 - think I'll order one for the car.

How did you ever happen across the DivaLight?
I came across it by accident while googling for some flashlight related info earlier this month. I wondered at the time why the fake mink fur wasn't bright orange or lime green.

The thing might actually be useful as a costume addition for Halloween.

vortechs

Enlightened
I just got a really awfu... uh... awesome Gerber 3AAA flashlight that comes in a package with a rather nice folding saw. I'd be happy to loan it out (see this post ).

I'd be even happier if they didn't return it.

Brlux

Enlightened
I would try to say NO but I must be a softy because If it waws someone who worked with me and was really in nead of it I would probably cave.
But I wouldn't be above carying around a nearly dead battery which I would swap in right befor there eyes befor giving it to them. Kinda a punk out way of saying I don't like the idea of you using my light.

Latest posts