ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This WILL stop the Leeches!
crackup.gif

dsc03078smallst0.jpg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have solved the problem!
It will require a special modded device and a bit of work but I think people would give it back.
Buy a MagLED drop-in for the 3D version, a small optic, a 0.39 ohm resistor (to drop the drop-in ouput), some rubber cement and a big 3 cell sex toy.
Mod the drop-in with the 0.39 ohm resistor to drop down the output and allow it to run cooler. Remove motor in toy and pay attention to the wires polarity. Drill a hole in the head (literally) and pull the motor wires through. Solder the wires to the reduced output MagLED drop-in. Cement the pill back into the toy and then cement the optic flush in the top of the head.
Rotate tail switch to turn on/off. Next time somebody needs a light... just hand them the "lumenator" and they will give it back and they won't take it if they really don't need it.
For extra fun, keep the motor in and have a off/light on/light on w/vibrate mode selector switch. The problem is you might work with some serious freaks and they might want to "borrow it for the weekend". The thing would naturally run a bit warm which would be considered an added bonus feature. Just don't let your kids run around the neighborhood playing flashlight tag with the "lumenator" :D

Last edited:

soapy

Newly Enlightened
Could you not find a cheap clone of whatever light you carry in a pound shop? Or put a "want" add on here, for a broken/burned out/run over one of the same light? Then you hand them that, with zinc-carbon (or dead) batteries and a crappy little LED.

Or, I've got hundreds of really cheap poor LED flashlight whistle keyrings in a box in the garage, cost me about 30p each. I'll post you as many as you want/need if you paypal me the postage, just to get rid of them and save the landfill.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I'm just a trusting soul........

I never really hesitate to lend my colleagues/friends flashlights if I think it would help them out of a jam. You never know when you may need your own *** hauling out of the fire:whistle:
They dont really get anything too valuable/difficult to use, a minimag with a Niteize module has served as a loan light for a couple of months now. Its always been returned promptly. Its still on its original batteries and I have helped source *three* of these for friends who have tried and liked the setup.

Simon

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jedi Knife said:
In the mechanical/technical enviornment I work in, everyone should have (if not always carry) a reliable light source, but they don't have either the initiative or intelligence to do so.

Face it, average people won't carry geeky gadgets, except maybe a cell phone which is not just for geeks.

You are a geek, and you will be depended on to supply gadgets on demand when the need arises.

This is your purpose in life, I'm not sure why you feel like it's a burden. It should be a pleasure and honor for you.

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
Get a key switch and make its "off" setting barely run the light and its "on" setting run it full.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
My cat light in the bottom right of this pic makes a good loaner. When you push the switch, the mouth swings open to expose a dim incan with tons of artifacts and a useless beam. It's still on it's first set of batteries for the past few years!

Hmmm... Maybe the batteries last so long cuz no one will use it

Click for bigger pic.

My wife won't borrow that however. She as an Arc LS-P on her keychain. She also uses a Ti-PD on occasion. However, her favorite light is her Princeton Tec Apex headlamp with lithum AAs for weight reduction.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have two UK Xenon flashlights. One is a 2AAA Penlight S and the other is a 4AA Xenon. Each costs under $17 and are loaned to people I'm not sure I trust. I like both lights (good enough to EDC!), but if I can't get somebody to pay up for a broken light or give it back, it won't cost me an arm and a leg to replace them. All things aside, they're pretty durable too, it seems. And they're bright yellow, which may bug some people.

pilou

Enlightened
simonsays said:
I never really hesitate to lend my colleagues/friends flashlights if I think it would help them out of a jam. You never know when you may need your own *** hauling out of the fire:whistle:

Of course! But I think we are talking here about people who borrow his lights almost every day.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
When they ask you to lend them your light, say, "sure, here you go.", and right before you hand it to them, "accidentally" sneeze on it. Chances are they'll find another light.

But seriously, if one of my coworkers want to borrow my light, I just remind them how much it cost me, and I better get it back. The response is usually something like,"Holy $h..!" I feel I can trust my cowoworkers, so it's never a problem.

At home, I do have a box of loaners that I don't really care if they don't get returned.