Thwarting flashlight leeches

WNG

Enlightened
Do they also borrow your boots too? Or your sandwich because they didn't pack a lunch or have money for the lunchtruck?
Believe me, the best thing is to refuse to loan out your stuff. They'll respect you more, and if they aren't the type, then you don't want to associate with them anyway. If the guy/gal is reasonably OK, once maybe...but that's it. Afterall, it's impeding your work, as you need it too.

After my experiences, NO is my answer. I was once on a crew of window installers as a favor to the sub-contractor. You bring your own tools. But someone wants to borrow this, and they passed it to who...and what do you know...someone keeps it and I'm out said tool. Ask them and you get a poop-eating grin smile and a "I don't know."

Leeches come in all styles....not just borrowers. But also the types that are too good or incompetent to do something. And they expect you to be their packmule, slave, taxi, cook, or charitable sugar daddy. I've come to know a few in my time.

They come in all shapes and sizes and all walks of life. Leech mentality is to work below a person's comfort zone to get their way. You'll be the first to be too embarrassed, shamed, impatient, or compassionate before them, and give in.

Sadly, some of the worst leeches are family members.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thought.

You could try having your torch on a clip on lead on your belt, for your own use.

Substitute this for a length of string when lent, which remains attached to your belt.

Anything from 2 feet to 20 feet, for example.

And make a point of attaching the string before lending them the torch.

Soon stop them.

Then again, you could make a charge for loan, and depletion of batteries.

And don't forget the label:

Borrowed / Stolen from xxxxx, with phone number.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
The 'bots that be' deleted my first reply. Let me rephrase...

Next time the leech asks to borrow a flashlight answer loudly

"Can't find your ___ in the dark??

Andy

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but some of you guys missed something- he's a cruel SOB and wants to hand them a dim, flickering light- then after they return he switches it to a secret setting and it's like Megaray 175 bright. "I don't know what's wrong with YOU, joe, works fine for me!"
Maybe you should go all out and make it a self-stun gun.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
WNG said:
Do they also borrow your boots too? Or your sandwich because they didn't pack a lunch or have money for the lunchtruck?
Believe me, the best thing is to refuse to loan out your stuff. They'll respect you more, and if they aren't the type, then you don't want to associate with them anyway. If the guy/gal is reasonably OK, once maybe...but that's it. Afterall, it's impeding your work, as you need it too.

After my experiences, NO is my answer. I was once on a crew of window installers as a favor to the sub-contractor. You bring your own tools. But someone wants to borrow this, and they passed it to who...and what do you know...someone keeps it and I'm out said tool. Ask them and you get a poop-eating grin smile and a "I don't know."

Leeches come in all styles....not just borrowers. But also the types that are too good or incompetent to do something. And they expect you to be their packmule, slave, taxi, cook, or charitable sugar daddy. I've come to know a few in my time.

They come in all shapes and sizes and all walks of life. Leech mentality is to work below a person's comfort zone to get their way. You'll be the first to be too embarrassed, shamed, impatient, or compassionate before them, and give in.

Sadly, some of the worst leeches are family members.

Amen, brother. Fortunately I don't have the family members doing any leeching (no closely aged siblings). You nailed it.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
batvette said:
Yeah but some of you guys missed something- he's a cruel SOB and wants to hand them a dim, flickering light- then after they return he switches it to a secret setting and it's like Megaray 175 bright. "I don't know what's wrong with YOU, joe, works fine for me!"
Maybe you should go all out and make it a self-stun gun.

Now you're talking! Point me the way to one, puleeease.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not buy a number of decent quality but not expensive lights, ones that will serve well in your field, and when someone asks to borrow a light tell them you won't lend anylights out, but that you would be happy to sell them one of their very own at cost. Something like the Mag2AA LED or Streamlight PP Lux.

Soon, no one will be asking. They will either have their own, or know you won't lend one out. They won't have any cause to gripe at you either, since you gave them the opportunity to be properly equipped.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like an opportunity to me. Have samples, take orders, sell batteries too; all with the appropriate markup of course. :D

havand

Enlightened
I just dropped my screwdriver...Anyone, say Jedi_Knight, got a light I can borrow?

*Runs shooting Jetbeam backwards in strobe mode hoping to simulate a japanese animation and cause epileptic shock long enough to get away...*

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring in another light that they are not familiar with and just say that it is special and belonged to a friend that passed away or a relative and that you'd rather lend out a lung first.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be a good opportunity to "garage sale" some of your lights that you don't mind parting with. You may have lights that don't 'wow' you anymore but will seem great to an 'unenlightened'. Get them hooked. Then the others will have someone else to borrow a light from!

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell them how much the light costs.

If you scratch it, drop it or lose it you have to buy me a replacement.

pilou

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
Why not buy a number of decent quality but not expensive lights, ones that will serve well in your field, and when someone asks to borrow a light tell them you won't lend anylights out, but that you would be happy to sell them one of their very own at cost.

Well, IF you have to be that reasonable, then this is probably the best idea. You can always get that Gerrity 4-pack from Costco and sell them for $4 even each.

Now if you can afford to be unreasonable, you can always bring a pistol with a light attached to it. If anyone asks to borrow a light again, you take out the pistol and slowly dismount the light, all the while giving him a dirty look. Word will spread around quickly and no one will dare to ask again :grin2:. Of course, you might end up in jail too, but what's a small technicality to stand up for your lights? :lolsign:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Jedi Knife said:
That's not a good solution. I don't want to carry around torches for the convenience of those who can't bother themselves to be prepared. I guess it's understandable in an environment where one may not always forsee needing a light. But in my situation it's unexcusable, to say the least, that my coworkers would not have a readily available light source of their own.

The next time one of them tries to take advantage of you, just say "No."
If they ask, "Why not?", tell them you're sick & tired of the B.S. they keep pulling.

It's been my experience that most folks really are aware when they're B.S.ing.
And the ones who honestly don't know any better, hey; it's not your fault their parents were ill-mannered jack-asses. You might want to leave that part out, when you politely tell them you are sick of constantly being disrespected; and that they need to spend their own money for equipment they need to (literally) get the job done.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a sign on my toolbox that read I make my living with my tools do not ask to borrow them, however I will rent them out, there is a nonrefundable deposit of $100.00 and the rental rate is decided by how bad you need to use my tools. It cut waaayyy down on mooches

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Jedi Knife said:
That's not a good solution. I don't want to carry around torches for the convenience of those who can't bother themselves to be prepared. I guess it's understandable in an environment where one may not always forsee needing a light. But in my situation it's unexcusable, to say the least, that my coworkers would not have a readily available light source of their own.

Never hand an expensive flashlight (or pen for that matter)to a someone you don't know, even if they say they just want to look for, or sign something. They generally will walk away from you and put it in their pocket.
It's hard enough to get it back from someone you know.
The average person has no idea how expensive our flashlights are.
Just say no. You may get some verbal grief from the person , but it is better then having them walk away with your Surefire or HDS.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was brought up in another thread, but I think you should seriously consider it:
http://search.ebay.com/shocking-flashlight_W0QQfromZR40QQpqryZshockingQ20flashliht

I didn't know The Police had a song called Omega Man, that's cool. I've used omega in nicknames and monikers for years, and I have an omega as part of a tattoo. Plus the book is really good.
I do love timepieces, but won't own and Omega until I hit the lotto or something.

aceo07

Enlightened
I'd thwart them with a cheapo light and keep the expensive one for myself. I couldn't really loan anybody my expensive lights.

Just always have 1-2 cheap light, with cheap batteries. Then no worries if it's lost or damaged.

Christexan

Enlightened
Install a hidden "resistor socket" in the circuit in/near the head (near the shell, away from the batteries and bulbs to reduce risk of destruction)... for normal use, jump the connection with wire or low resistance... when someone asks to borrow it, change the batteries (to the 12 for a $1 carbon zinc generic brands), and in the process, change the resistor/jumper to a large high-watt resistor (preferably in contact with the case).... result....

Hidden change, looks like part of the light
In use, light output will be terrible (based on whatever resistance you use and battery qualities), battery life will be horrid, and light will quickly "heat-up" in their hands to the point they won't want to use it for long... it'll probably come back quickly.

Of course, risk of batteries blowing or bulb burnout increase with this scenario because of the high heat, but if it gets damaged, then they just bought it.... (I support the "deposit up-front" philosophy first though).

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
A slick $26 profit... and prob return business..

Win-Win

infection0 said:
Just tell them that if they scratch your lights or break it, they'll pay full price for the light... then tell them the full price of the light....

or buy 20 photon clones from Dae at $14 and sell them off for 2 bucks each to your coworkers...

Latest posts