Titanium Quarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm getting aggravated. First I hear the clip scratches the flashlight and I don't even have the OPTION to get one without the clip. (Yes I know I can get my money back and you know as well as I that is NOT what I or any Quark Ti purchaser wants!)

NOW another day passes and STILL no confirmation. It's bad enough that I have to settle for a defective flashlight clip without waiting even LONGER for it!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate, I am in the exact same boat... calm down a bit.
It's no race, you will get it when you do.

I also have to wait 10-14 days for shipping, so quit complaining.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
NOW another day passes and STILL no confirmation. It's bad enough that I have to settle for a defective flashlight clip without waiting even LONGER for it!

Got mine and now the next announcement fom 4/7 thats just killing me!
I think your light is coming soon to the post office.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my QAA Tactical Ti and Q123-2 Tac Ti. I'll leave the Q123-2 in the box for a while and bond with the QAA.

Fit and finish are as advertised, the polish is very nice. The head and tail caps seemed a little dry so I put a dab of Nyogel 779 on each. As David recommended, I bent the clip slightly away from the body to avoid scratching during battery changes. Twist action on the caps is still slightly gritty compared to my beloved QAAW. It may improve in time, I'm used to this with stainless lights as well.

The new emitter die is slightly larger on visual inspection and the hotspot from the light is maybe 50% wider across at long distances. I'm running an AW 14500 in both QAA's. The XP-G emitter is of course noticeably brighter than the warm XP-E, I'm back in the U.S. at the moment on east coast time. When it gets dark I'll go for a walk in the country with the mutt and really see how far this pocket rocket goes.

Thanks again David for this special Ti Quark run!

seattlite

Enlightened
Got my 273 of 750. I immediately stuck in 2 x RCR123's(MP) and tried it out. Output is just as bright or a smidgen brighter than my LX2(2 x RCR123's).

Packaging is DANG nice! Nice touch on the magnetic clasp. Exterior box texture is also very unique.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the topic I was looking for earlier! :p Got my Ti Quark 2x123 today. Love it! Some initial impressions as far as the beam, etc. Tint is cooler than my Quark 1x123 XP-E R2 (I got lucky with the tint on my XP-E R2, it's very warm for a cool white tint bin). The hot spot with the XP-G is larger as expected, which makes it better suited for close range applications.

I did a quick check on the LUX meter from approx 1 meter. The Quark 1x123 XP-E on MAX out throws the Quark 2x123 XP-G on MAX. I was expecting this, but was wondering if the additional output from the XP-G would keep things close. I got around 4,600LUX with the XP-E, and around 3,400LUX with the XP-G. Results will vary from meter to meter, but the results clearly show the XP-E, even with less lumens, has more throw. This is because both lights use the same size reflector, but the XP-E has a smaller die and a higher surface brightness.

The Quark 2x123 carries surprisingly well in my left front jeans pocket, using the clip. I replaced the Maratac AAA I had clipped there. I use this pocket for my iPhone so I don't want something that will bang into the phone, or get in the way when I take the phone out of my pocket and put it back in. The Quark doesn't get in the way and carries comfortably.

I took some quick and dirty beam shots just to give a general idea of the characteristics of the beams.

Quark Ti XP-G:

Quark XP-E:

Overall I'm very happy with the light. The only thing that could have been better would be a slightly warmer tint, but I have a feeling most of the R5 bins will be on the cool side in order to reach that level of efficiency. Once your eyes adjust though it looks perfectly white if you aren't comparing it with other light sources.

Also I'm 271 or 750.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
Received my QAAT Ti today, and I have to say that it is quite a beautiful piece of machinery. My first titanium light, and I hope not my last. :cool:

First impressions are that it's definitely brighter than my neutral QAAT (both on li-ion) and has a larger spot, which is much welcomed. Tint is a very nice white with a slight tinge of green on high, shifting slightly to the greener side on lower output modes.

Of course, my enthusiasm overpowered any rational thought when I first pulled it out of the box (in my car before I even got home. :eek:), whence I loaded 'er up and changed modes without even thinking about the clip. :ohgeez: Suffice it to say, my Quark now has a character line running halfway around the head. :oops: And since I put the first scratch on it not more than 30 seconds after taking possession, I think this light will be FORCED in to user duty. :devil: Who knows, I might even EDC the sucker. I've always wondered what titanium looks like with a patina anyway.

Other than that, I'm happy with the light. The threads are quite gritty on mine, with a little bit of chaff on the head, but after a thorough cleaning and lubing with white lithium grease it's improved. Tailcap threads are much smoother than the head on my example. When I lego'ed the Ti Q with my Al Q, the threading was MUCH smoother. Who knows, I might have to run the light with an aluminum body! :crackup: She definitely won't be a shelf queen at this point!

My serial # is 466, which doesn't hold any personal meaning... other than being the clock speed of my first computer. :p

Well, I think I'll let it all sink in, and if I'm up to it, maybe post some beamshots later tonight. She is a bright little sucker. :D

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
I did a quick check on the LUX meter from approx 1 meter. The Quark 1x123 XP-E on MAX out throws the Quark 2x123 XP-G on MAX. I was expecting this, but was wondering if the additional output from the XP-G would keep things close.
Approx 2/3 the throw from the less intense (but fatter) hotspot, and also brighter spill. Awesome, those pictures along with your meter readings correlate pretty well with what we were expecting from the increased die size. :thumbsup:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spent the evening with two Ti Quarks. I started with the Ti QAA but quickly put it aside to check out the Ti Q123-2.

The Ti Q123-2 feels so nice in the hand with the mirror finish and not too agressive knurling. The Ti gives the light a little more heft than the original Al version. Also, the head seems to heat up a little more on high but not uncomfortably so. The XP-G emitter appears to be slightly green in comparison to a conventional XP-E Q123-2 with the customary further green shift on lower levels. It is well in the tint ballpark and not noticeable except by side by side comparison. Of course, after EDC'ing a QAAW for the past few weeks, everything looks a little green or blue.:rolleyes:

The Ti Q123-2 had dry threads with a gritty feel like the Ti QAA, a little Nyogel seems to fix that. The threading is tight with little play and the friction for changing modes on the head seems just right after lubrication.

A minor labeling issue on one of the flat surfaces, the Quark 123-2 Tactical logo seems to be bottom justified rather than vertically centered like the 4Sevens logo on the other face. The flat surfaces are larger than on the aluminum version of the light.

I tried a couple of RCR123's in the light but it seems just as bright on a freshly charged 17670, same result I got with the non-Ti Q123-2. The Ti Q123-2 has a slightly dimmer hotspot than my SF LX2 but a lot more spill and a better looking beam. The spill was handy on a walk with the dog on a dark country road, I used the level just above moonlight to preserve night vision with occasional bursts of max to check out wildlife in the woods.

As always, I'm torn between the tactical tailcap with easy access momentary and the non-tac tail that will tailstand, a feature a lot more handy in the real world than I had imagined. And yes, as a CPF'er, I have several of both...

recDNA

Flashaholic
I thought the spill would look much brighter on the wall from the XP-G. I'm a little disappointed.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Ti Q123-2 has a little PWM flicker on max with a 17670. It doesn't flicker with two RCR123's. Also, the Al Q-123-2 on a 17670 doesn't have the flicker.

I checked to make sure that the Ti Q123-2 was really on max and not one level down.

Perhaps the two cell head on one cell regulates differently on the XP-G than on the XP-E. Or, it might just be a quirk of my Ti Quark.

Dan FO

Enlightened
On the Ti Quark AA, can the clip be removed and still function properly?

Mine has not arrived yet.

fiorano

Newly Enlightened
On the Ti Quark AA, can the clip be removed and still function properly?

Mine has not arrived yet.
Yes, it functions fine. Perhaps better.

You are much less likely to scratch the head with the clip removed. With the clip on it touches the head as you twist it.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it functions fine. Perhaps better.

You are much less likely to scratch the head with the clip removed. With the clip on it touches the head as you twist it.
Yep, I have a nice scratch from twisting the head, the clip is now gone.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The empty space left behind from the clip makes a great spot to place a tritium vial.
TiAAQuark002.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.