Titanium XP-G R5 LF2XT AAA mini-review

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Steve's titanium LF2XT is my favorite light in every way.

It's got the perfect balance of a wide, floody beam with just enough punch in the middle for a little bit of search capability with a very gentle gradation between the two that doesn't leave you blind in the area adjacent to the hotspot.

Beautiful balanced feel in the cigar grip and so easy to swap back and forth between user selected brightness, absolute low and absolute high. Turning on in CUI gives user selected brightness level and double clicks will toggle back and forth between low and user selected medium endlessly, while click then hold will toggle between high and user selected medium. This gives you instant access to any of three brightness levels once the light is on, regardless of which mode you are presently using. Perfect!

Anyone wanting to only carry one light, that has to be tiny, and has a need for a very low level needs to get one of these!

burntoshine

Enlightened
Sounds like you need a " real " camera for Christmas.

:santa:
_

indeed. i have an 8 megapixel camera on my phone and it is a great camera to always have on you, but i would like a nicer camera with more setting changeablility.

It's got the perfect balance of a wide, floody beam with just enough punch in the middle for a little bit of search capability with a very gentle gradation between the two that doesn't leave you blind in the area adjacent to the hotspot.

Beautiful balanced feel in the cigar grip and so easy to swap back and forth between user selected brightness, absolute low and absolute high. Turning on in CUI gives user selected brightness level and double clicks will toggle back and forth between low and user selected medium endlessly, while click then hold will toggle between high and user selected medium. This gives you instant access to any of three brightness levels once the light is on, regardless of which mode you are presently using. Perfect!

Anyone wanting to only carry one light, that has to be tiny, and has a need for a very low level needs to get one of these!

well said. you've gotta love liteflux' beams. the LF2XT is such an awesome light. that's why i sprung for Steve's titanium. when you've found your perfect EDC, i figure why not put it in a more deserving shell. and the slotted titanium button with a tritium vial that glows 24 hours a day just completes the awesomeness. the reflector and clip nicely match the titanium to make it completely uniform and so clean looking. i can't stress how much i love this little light. it goes everywhere with me.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm not that easily impressed despite my user-name but I have to say that those pictures look fantastic. :thumbsup:

I have been put off from purchasing Liteflux lights because I generally like simple, idiot-proof UIs.

However I'm finding it hard to resist this one!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not that easily impressed despite my user-name but I have to say that those pictures look fantastic. :thumbsup:

I have been put off from purchasing Liteflux lights because I generally like simple, idiot-proof UIs.

However I'm finding it hard to resist this one!

Just stick to the CUI and it is nearly idiot-proof! If you don't want it, you don't have to ever get into FUI!

The light is terrific, I have one from the second run, the nicest in my eyes... :party:

I also got the whol epackage, but no XPG, wasn't available at that time and I like the neutral white. The craftmanship on the body is exceptionnal, the titanium has a very nice brushed finish and threads are smooth. The light serves each night, it lies on my nightstand.

I got an EX10 titanium (Called Fatty) last week, same great craftmanship, same nice finish. I seriously hope for a second run on them as I was so dumb not to order a D10 as well and there will probably be an EX10 with standard head as well.

I think the LF2XT is sold out (third run), while many surely hope for a fourth run, I hope for an LF3XT! :crazy:

burntoshine

Enlightened
a little photoshopping always helps some

yeah, i wanted a more natural looking picture though. i could've changed the brightness, but it looks really grainy like that. i need more camera setting options. like manual focus and shutter speed. i mainly wanted to capture the glow of the trit and i think having the shutter open longer would probably do the trick.

a very nice individual PM'd me about selling me their camera; a real camera. i'm excited! it'll be my first nice one. i can't wait to play with it and all the settings. :)

Just stick to the CUI and it is nearly idiot-proof! If you don't want it, you don't have to ever get into FUI!

yeah, you don't have to use the FUI at all. the CUI is exactly like original nitecore UI, but a lot better...

CUI: there's a user setting. the light always turns on to the user setting. to change it, you simply press & hold down the button and the light will ramp up. you release the button when it's at the level you want and now the user setting is set at that brightness; or press & hold the button down again, and it ramps down. same thing here, release to set. exactly like nitecore's original smart PD series.

you double click to jump to minimum brightness (repeat to return to user setting). you click and then press & hold to jump to maximum brightness (repeat to return to user setting). what's cool is you can jump to minimum and minimum brightnesses and it doesn't effect the user setting (unlike nitecore's UI). you can also ramp up and down back in forth as much as you want from the minimum and maximum short cuts without changing the user setting. the only way to change the user setting is to ramp up/down from the user setting.

it's sort of like there are three separate modes. one is minimum, one is maximum and the third mode is programmable. you can toggle between the three modes by using the short cuts and you can also ramp up and/or down from all of the levels. the only difference is the user mode sets its brightness when you ramp, the min. and max. don't.

you can program the user mode for minimum or maximum if you want, you just have to ramp to it from the user setting.

the LF2XT comes in the package already in the CUI, so as long as you understand the CUI (which i just wrote a novel on), you're good. :)

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the useful info. Since I've neither had a Nitecore nor a Liteflux, it will be very helpful, should I acquire one of either. :)

KuKu427

Enlightened
I think the LF2XT is sold out (third run), while many surely hope for a fourth run, I hope for an LF3XT! :crazy:
Nope, not sold out yet. Any pointers on what flashlight to pimp up next? 3XT seems like a good candidate.

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened

........Perfect!

+1, I love it!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2. I vote this best AAA of the year. Sure there're lots of AAAs released this year, but IMO nothing best this in terms of UI (simple/complicated), clicky (not rubber boot or twisty), li-ion friendly, high grade titanium, efficiency (well, mine's using R5 :naughty:), beauty (subjective, but we did vote for it) and top notch finishing.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd go one further and say that this is the best AAA to date, bar none and that it will take some serious effort to take away the crown from Steve's titanium LF2XT.

Oh, but then again, I'm waiting for his all copper LF2XT with orange trit and warm tint! :naughty:

burntoshine

Enlightened
I'd go one further and say that this is the best AAA to date, bar none and that it will take some serious effort to take away the crown from Steve's titanium LF2XT.

Oh, but then again, I'm waiting for his all copper LF2XT with orange trit and warm tint! :naughty:

agreed.

i'm considering getting the same set up with the copper light, too. man, that's gonna be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ideefixe

Newly Enlightened
Nope, not sold out yet. Any pointers on what flashlight to pimp up next? 3XT seems like a good candidate.

The 3XT UI with the 2 sec pause is just god awful!! Steve why not produce your own light engine? Extracting it from an existing light adds unnecessary cost, I think.

Pick the best elements from your current lights, such as the knurling, etc. etc. etc. and incorporate into something unique.

I'd like to see something like an EZ-AA (with a small diameter body as possible) and with a strong titanium clip? No stock clips like the D10/EX10, they flex too easily and are useless.

edit: maybe I'm confused, I think the LF5XT had the 2 sec delay; the LF3XT had a bit shorter delay. LF2XT UI is perfect. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The 3XT UI with the 2 sec pause is just god awful!! Steve why not produce your own light engine? Extracting it from an existing light adds unnecessary cost, I think.

Pick the best elements from your current lights, such as the knurling, etc. etc. etc. and incorporate into something unique.

I'd like to see something like an EZ-AA (with a small diameter body as possible) and with a strong titanium clip? No stock clips like the D10/EX10, they flex too easily and are useless.

edit: maybe I'm confused, I think the LF5XT had the 2 sec delay; the LF3XT had a bit shorter delay. LF2XT UI is perfect. :thumbsup:
Steve, I too would like to buy some of the lights your company would make. Ide has some great insight here and I definitely concur that the LF2XT has the perfect UI to date.

The suggestion here of making and EZAA type light with minimalist dimensioning and a titanium clip would be an incredibly market-shaking light if you could figure out how to implement a Ra Twisty type UI that allowed 3 levels instead of just 2.
There are a lot of Ra Twisty fans who would love to see the straight ahead 3-level twist UI in something that accepted AA/AAA power source, not to mention Aeon fans who would love to have a third level, without messing up the simplicity of the single twist to go all the way from low to high.

droptop

Newly Enlightened
hello, this light sounds great. can get one form kuku427? titanium with tritium XP-G etc?
thanks
tony

droptop

Newly Enlightened
thanks burntoshine, but i tried the link you sent and it won't let me log in to that page to post a request. am i doing something wrong?
tony