Titanium XP-G R5 LF2XT AAA mini-review

easilyled

Flashaholic
thanks burntoshine, but i tried the link you sent and it won't let me log in to that page to post a request. am i doing something wrong?
tony

Well, I would presume that you need to register first.

The CPFMarketPlace and CandlePowerForums over here both require separate logins. :)

droptop

Newly Enlightened
thanks, i found the separate registration. i'm very new to this forum thing. thanks again for assistance/patience. this forum is great.
tony

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmmmm xpg and ti...

SS-2010.02.11-21.51.36.png

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Steve personally upgraded the LED from the original neutral tinted XP-E Q4 (100lm @350mA) to the newest/brightest XP-G R5 (139lm @ 350mA). The R5 is said to be a very slightly cooler tint but I don't find it offensive at all and nothing like the blue tint shown below. Yet the specs rate it 39 lumens brighter, which is always welcome. Not having the two to compare side-by-side, I can only say that this tiny light is amazingly bright, even on standard alkalines.

The deep factory orange-peel reflector is used which was specifically designed for use with the tiny XP-E LED. The XP-G is bigger so effects the beam by giving it a wider flood and smoother wider center spot. This is what I wanted and I'm extremely pleased with it.

You can see that the XP-G has a wider center spot, a slightly broader beam and smoother transition from center to edge, but don't go by the colors which look much different in real life. It isn't anywhere near these colors. In fact, i'd call the XP-G wamish. Apparently because the XP-G spreads the beam over a wider area, it doesn't appear much brighter overall than the XP-E, even if the XP-G is rated 39% brighter.

Thank you for your review. May I ask you or someone else to clarify a few things ?

(1) I'm confused by your caution that in real life the LF2XT XP-G looks much different than how it is represented in the picture. I don't disbelieve that you saw what you saw. And based on his posts, kuku247 comes across as knowledgeable and skilled in regards to flashlights and in how to accurately photograph his lights especially the ones he's selling.

Since your findings are in contradiction to what the photo depicts, what is the reason that Steve's kuku247's does not accurately represent the color of the XP-G LF2XT ? And if the colors in real life are "much different" than the ones in the photo, with no disrespect intended doesn't that mean that the photo is of not much value in trying to represent the difference in the color temperature between the XP-G and XP-E LF2XTs ?

You can see that the XP-G has a wider center spot, a slightly broader beam and smoother transition from center to edge, but don't go by the colors which look much different in real life. It isn't anywhere near these colors. In fact, i'd call the XP-G wamish.

(2) Would you say then that the color of the XP-G LF2XT is somewhere between "cool white" and "neutral white" ?

Steve personally upgraded the LED from the original neutral tinted XP-E Q4 (100lm @350mA) to the newest/brightest XP-G R5 (139lm @ 350mA) [...] Yet the specs rate it 39 lumens brighter, which is always welcome. Not having the two to compare side-by-side, I can only say that this tiny light is amazingly bright, even on standard alkalines.

The deep factory orange-peel reflector is used which was specifically designed for use with the tiny XP-E LED. The XP-G is bigger so effects the beam by giving it a wider flood and smoother wider center spot. This is what I wanted and I'm extremely pleased with it.

You can see that the XP-G has a wider center spot, a slightly broader beam and smoother transition from center to edge [...] Apparently because the XP-G spreads the beam over a wider area, it doesn't appear much brighter overall than the XP-E, even if the XP-G is rated 39% brighter.

(3) Since your findings are that the XP-G LF2XT isn't much brighter than its XP-E counterpart, then the main differences are a wider flood and wider hot spot ? Is the area outside the hotspot appreciably brighter for the XP-G LF2XT -- based on the photo, the answer seems to be mostly no

Last edited:

KuKu427

Enlightened
The answer could be s number of factors. What appeared to be white on my laptop where I cropped and posted the pictures looks green on my desktop's monitor. I ordered 1c color bin R5s but there is a visible difference in tint between LEDs of the same bin. Hence the term tint lottery.

That picture you linked is not a stock 2xt. Scroll down in the same thread and you will see that it's modded with a TIR. Oh. Notice how that tint is slightly different from the one in my sales thread

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd love one but I have been unlucky in the XP-G lottery in the past. In my case the "G" has stood for green. I don't mind blue but I really hate green and yellow.

The darn thing is so pretty it would be nice if it didn't light up!

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Old thread, just wanted to add, as I came back here for reflection that, having the same run #5 full knurled will xp-g, sapphire, green trit, and li-ion. Its been a great flashlight. Also been through the washer and dryer three times.

I use the full user interface, but in the simplist sense. First press on is lowest, two-press, somewhere in the middle, two-press again for max. I will typically turn on lowest (most used), then hold down for max (second most used).

Great light!