UK 4AA eLED, first impressions

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
Boy, I'd like to get one of these.

[ QUOTE ]
Badbeams said:
The comment "narrow beam" leaves me scared. I can still feel my shock at the X-1. I want a wide beam...especialy from a utility light.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that this light uses a reflector, not a lens, to create the "narrow beam." Other Luxeon lights designed this way usually have a very incandescent-like output - a tight hotspot for throw and a dimmer wide flood. That may or may not be to your taste, of course, but this shouldn't be a zero-spill spotlight like the lensed LED lights (Inova X-1, PT Impact, PAL lights, etc.)

paulr

Flashaholic
The UKE 2AAA eLED has a narrower beam than (say) an Arc AAA, but it's still quite useable and it's a nice light. I haven't seen an X1 but I'll guess the X1 beam is much narrower than the 2AAA eLED's.

03lab

Enlightened
Looks like I won't be getting one from the $20 deal ..... international shipping is $46. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Squid

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered several of the eLed lamp assemblies from Greg at Brightguy. I will be retrofitting them to the current collection of 2L and 4AA lights I have at home that make up my "Emergency/disaster lights" kit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, lamp assembly fits the 2L. Lamp assembly is $15.80 by itself, while the 4AA including the LA is $20.00, so I think I'll get the whole light.

03lab, I guess I can order an extra one and send it to you, but you'd be responsible for any import fees if the .de customs office stops the package (they probably won't bother). Postage and packaging would probably be around 7 or 8 USD including splitting the Brightguy shipping charge. It might be a little less if you wanted just the lamp assembly.

Raven

Enlightened
I'll probably reveal myself to be the electronics noob that I am, but is it safe to say that the regulation on this light is going to flatten out the voltage, instead of stepping it up?

Because that would mean it's not going to be the best of choices for using partially depleted batteries in, unlike a regulated 2 cell.

Raven

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, it's going to drop the voltage from 6 volts to the 3.7 volts or so needed for the LED. It should do fine with partially depleted cells.

03lab

Enlightened
Thanks paulr! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'm all for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raven

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Yes, it's going to drop the voltage from 6 volts to the 3.7 volts or so needed for the LED. It should do fine with partially depleted cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is done so the four aa battery configuration doesn't overheat the lux star?

Raven

paulr

Flashaholic
You can't direct drive a single die Luxeon on 6 volts. You'll burn it out instantly. You can use a resistor limiter, but the UKE regulation circuit is more efficient.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lagged2Death said:
It appears that this light uses a reflector, not a lens, to create the "narrow beam." Other Luxeon lights designed this way usually have a very incandescent-like output - a tight hotspot for throw and a dimmer wide flood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd describe mine as being like a slightly defocused Mini-Mag, with a new bulb and fresh batteries, minus the rings and holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Like some other guys, I ordered the bulb assemlies from Bright Guy. That was mostly because I thought this Luxon would be great for my 2L as well as one of my 4AA's. When I first installed the Luxon I was very disappionted in the light. Since they called it narrow beam, I thought it would be, well, narrow. It is a bright Luxon but I would never use the word narrow. To be fair, that was in mostly daylight and the beam is only a part of the total light output. After dark I started to understand the good & bad of the light. It's pretty bright. Probably (to my eye) about as bright as my LSH-P. It has a bright center and an almost as bright corona around that. The spill light makes up a large part of the total. Compared to my LSH-P it has a spill light roughly double the diameter. So any hope of a narrow beam (concentrated) are dashed. However, I just got back from a walk in the woods. It is easily the best woods/trail light I have used. The beam lets me see far enough ahead to keep my bearings. The side spill is easy on the eyes and allows me to see most things around me so I do not trip on stuff. I think it will make a great work light as long as you do not need a penetrating beam. It seems very practical as long as you do not need a concentrated beam. For what it's worth... I bought 2 of the Luxons replacement bulbs. One is very slightly green on the edge of the corona. The other is slightly blue. Neither is an issue.

As for the 2L. It makes a very nice compact, almost EDC light. I contacted UK about it's burn time and they told me to expect 10-20% less burn time than the 4AA.

Rail

Newly Enlightened
BillM, thank you for your post! I've been thinking the UK 4AA LEDs and their modules on 2Ls would compliment my brace of lights for backpacking/camping outings, and your review was exactly what I was waiting to hear. I was particularly impressed by your detailed description of the beam, and its usefulness in the woods.

Thanks again,
- Corliss

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif New life for my 2L?? Alright! Thanks for the details BillM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
Sigh... that 20 dollar price was too good to pass up...

"My name is JJ and I'm a flashaholic who has just relapsed again...."

Jumi

Enlightened
Here is some beam impressions from few popular lights against UK 4AA eLED. Test target Red/white sign at around 30 meters in dark car basement. Distance between cars 8m

Minimag: Red shows well but the cars on both sides shows not well.

UK 4AA: More side spill than mag, much smaller hotspot about same bightness than mag.

UK 4AA eLED(mod, without regulation) Hotspot 1.3m at 30m. red color doesnt't show as red(brown) cars on sides show well.

UK 2AAA The back wall does't show, wide beam.

PT Rage Wide beam, hotspot larger than 4AA inc. but smaller than mag. Lot of side spill, cars show well.

GMC Reactor with lithiums. Wide light, no hotspot. sign on backwall seems black/white.

From these lights eLed and Rage are equal for amount of light. Rage has larger hotspot and shows colors better for my eyes but eLEDs beam looks better.

The mA draws that I measured in the second post ARE incorrect!! My testers 200mA position is defected( it has lot of resistance) Sorry about that.

Hope someone will post real mA draws soon.

paulr: could you order one for me, i would love to have one undefected to see how it is different than my mod.

Juha

ps. I' cant understand how it can be so cheap in US.
Dollar is weak against euro so US products should be cheaper now than a year ago but no. I paid 55 euros for one, normal 4AA is 32euros. Seems like finnish distributor is getting big profits.

03lab

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jumi said:
Here is some beam impressions from few popular lights against UK 4AA eLED. Test target Red/white sign at around 30 meters in dark car basement. Distance between cars 8m

Minimag: Red shows well but the cars on both sides shows not well.

UK 4AA: More side spill than mag, much smaller hotspot about same bightness than mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that a regular UK4AA has the same brightness as a MiniMag? I can hardly believe that, are you sure the batteries were alright?