UK 4AA eLED, first impressions

Jumi

Enlightened
O3lab: Minimag is brand new. 4AA inc. batteries were 6.1v
Bulb is used less than 1hour. I was not impressed with the brightness of it's bulb that's why the lamp is hardly used. Waiting to get that reghargeable 4w bulb and 4 nimhs in it.

I can test it tonight with new batteries but I'dont think there is much difference. Mayby I have bad bulb?
Juha

03lab

Enlightened
The regular UK4AA is really popular among firefighters and divers in Germany, so I expected it to be a lot brighter than a MiniMag. I suspect you have a lemon, but I don't own a regular UK4AA so I can't say for sure. You can take a look at Quickbeams review and beamshots here.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UKE 4AA eLED - can it safely handle lithuim batteries?

Jumi: Does the instruction sheet say anything about acceptable types of batteries?

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
03lab said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jumi said:
Here is some beam impressions from few popular lights against UK 4AA eLED. Test target Red/white sign at around 30 meters in dark car basement. Distance between cars 8m

Minimag: Red shows well but the cars on both sides shows not well.

UK 4AA: More side spill than mag, much smaller hotspot about same bightness than mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that a regular UK4AA has the same brightness as a MiniMag? I can hardly believe that, are you sure the batteries were alright?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about the 4AA LED version, not the xenon version. The LED version is less bright than the xenon, but supposedly the batteries last around 4x longer.

03lab

Enlightened
I thought he was talking about both, the xenon version first and then the LED version afterwards. Or did he compare his lights twice, before and after he modded his UK4AA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I could be wrong, but I read that post as being about the LED. The 4AA xenon beam should be the same as the 2L xenon, which kicks the pants off the Minimag. It's at least 4x brighter and much smoother.

Squid

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
The UKE 4AA eLED - can it safely handle lithuim batteries?

I'm anxious to know, as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jumi

Enlightened
No. I was talking about 4AA incan. but it seems that I have a bad bulb in my 4AA incan. Atleast I know that now for sure.

The instruction sheet has only how to put 4 alkalines in it. Nothing about nimhs or lithiums.

And yes it's great when a real reviews come from someone who really knows what to do.

For next week going to Lappland, maby some cold tests?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Juha

03lab

Enlightened
I hope you get it replaced under warranty Juha. It should make a good backup or cheap (i.e. replaceable) work light.

[off topic] Are you going snowmobiling in Lappland? How much is it to rent a sled? Do you need a guide or is it safe to do day trips on your own? I was thinking about doing some snowmobiling in Scandinavia next year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jumi

Enlightened
03lab: I bought it 8 months ago, bulbs warranty is only 30 days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I should have notice that before.

Yes. I'm going snowmobiling and some skiing. I rented 2years ago and it was 100euros for 3hours including gasoline. If you haven't ride before it is recommended to go first in a snowmobile Safari where they teach how to handle sleds. Now I have my own sled so I'll make my own trips. Don't know yet how long trips I make, depends on how good trails are and if I find a group to get in. Alone my trips will propably be in 100km and then back.
Well, see you in next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Juha

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
I have one on the way, so expect a review soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Quickbeam:
It would also be nice to know if the 4AA eLED module will fit and/or function in the 2AA body. I suspect that since it is regulated, if it can be made to fit there might be some function - however diminished.

Brock

Flashaholic
My understanding of the electronics in it would lead me to believe it is current limiting. So you should be able to feed it any voltage above the 4.x vdc it needs. So 4AA alkaline, regular, lithium or obviously 2 123's should be fine. I don't know if the regulation would handle 6AA or 3 123's though.

If you got it to fit on a 2AA body I would doubt it would light, or if it did it would be very dim, it shouldn't hurt it anyway. I will try it as soon as I get mine though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I just got an eLED module from BrightGuy and I must say I like it enough to order a couple more. I've tried it in an old 4AA body and an original "Buck Lights" UKE 2L. I have two of the 2Ls, perhaps 10-12 years old, that I'll now start using again.

It's very white with no green or blue artifacts and definitely more of a flood with a small spot from the side emitter; a nice change from Fraens, Wayne's 30mm, etc. with too narrow (OMHO) beams.

I'll be trying it out this weekend on a night hike with the Boy Scouts.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
The module will fit and function in a Buck Light?
Woo-Hoo!!!
I have two of those. One is NIB - too bad they didn't put dates on the batteries back then, as it would make an interesting test of the shelf life.

Hurray for UK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

(2004 truely IS "The year of the Luxeon")
I knew I should hav ebought some lumileds stock.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
The original Buck 2L and 4AA were made by UKE and are exactly the same except for the lettering and the all clear bezel. Buck had more colors, too - my two are red and orange.

I think the rubber coated bezels came after Buck dropped the UKs. BrightGuy has the updated ones for $2.50 and they fit my old Bucks.

paulr

Flashaholic
Using lithiums in the 4aa probably works fine (I doubt they would overpower the regulator) but is not that attractive an idea to me. If you want to power this bezel with lithium cells, might as well use the 2L body, which is much smaller and uses 123's, which are cheaper than lithium AA's.

Jumi, yes, I haven't placed the order yet, so I guess I can add another one for you.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Using lithiums in the 4aa probably works fine (I doubt they would overpower the regulator) but is not that attractive an idea to me. If you want to power this bezel with lithium cells, might as well use the 2L body, which is much smaller and uses 123's, which are cheaper than lithium AA's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. My desire to use lithum batteries is for use in an automotive glove box - wanting full power at low temperatures. I guess for occasional useage the cost difference might be negligable - it comes down to personal preference of form factor and switch types. This module may turn out to be a real home run for UK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif