Ultrastinger questions

lebox97

Enlightened
UStinger battery is 6.0 volts - not 3.6 if that is what your looking for?

I have a 3000mA battery that works well... just under 2 hours run (bright) time on my US

Taylorf

Enlightened
I just compared them again and my 8ax still has a lot better throw. I have come to the conclusion that my US just isnt focusing correctly. When i turn the bezel the focus doesnt change. I could be missing something really obvious here, but otherwise I have no clue as to why this might be happening, so any thoughts would be helpful.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taylorf said:
I just compared them again and my 8ax still has a lot better throw. I have come to the conclusion that my US just isnt focusing correctly. When i turn the bezel the focus doesnt change. I could be missing something really obvious here, but otherwise I have no clue as to why this might be happening, so any thoughts would be helpful.

I do not understand how this could be. Turning the head physically changes the height of the filament relative to the reflector. I think mine focuses best about 3-4 half turns from bottomed out.

The only other thing that I can think of is to remove the head and make sure that the lamp holder is properly seated. The plastic base should sit flat on the body above the bi-pin socket. It can't be up too much or it would not light.

Again, I can really see no way that turning the head through its range does not change the focus at all.

Mark

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3600mah aftermarket battery was not fully charged.

Looks like the ultra stinger trickle charger may not fully charge the aftermarket nimh batteries to their fullest. I put my Ustinger on a stinger charger for 8 hours and the modded Ustinger WA1160 was bright and white. More on the MOD here

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips said:
My 3600mah aftermarket battery was not fully charged.

Looks like the ultra stinger trickle charger may not fully charge the aftermarket nimh batteries to their fullest. I put my Ustinger on a stinger charger for 8 hours and the modded Ustinger WA1160 was bright and white. More on the MOD here

You are correct. The stock SL chargers are basically dumb/timer chargers and will not work properly with the NiMh sticks. Chances are you will end up under or overcharged every time. They are not designed to detect the end of charge point in the NiMh batteries. Probably damaging too.

You need to use another charger. I have good results with this one: NiMh Charger

You will have to build a clamp rig such as this one by CPFer Cy: Clamp

I built a slightly modified version of his clamp and it works great.

Mark