What happened to Eveready?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light appears to have a small convex lens in the middle of the front lens like the PT Impact and Impact II. This suggests that the LED Spot is from a single Nichia.

I wonder what the size and capacity of the rechargeable cells / pack are. Probably Nicad AA's given the 100 hour claim and probable use of a cheap trickle charger.

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened
The entire 2003 Eveready flashlight line is available online at Lite-House.com. They seem to be finally producing some sturdier and more high-tech models, though still quite cheap comparatively speaking.

They have some unique LED flip lights and headband lights as well as a really neat Compact Fluorescent/LED flashlight.

Here are the specs: High intensity dual-function flashlight uses extremely bright CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent) tube rated for 10,000+ hours. Use either the bright LED spotlight or the cold cathode area light. Lifetime guarantee. Stands vertically for hands-free area illumination. Ergonomic design for one-hand use. Innovative design utilizes comfort grip. 100 hr. run time on LED between battery charges.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just guessing on this, but . . .

If I could choose to have the profits for one year for BOTH SureFire and Streamlight, OR the profits from ALL the lights sold by Everready, I bet that Everready would blow away SureFire and Streamlight, as far as PROFITS go.

That might be the philosphy of Everready now, cheap lights, high profits, lots of distribution.

Don't have to worry a lot about warantee issues.

You know, it kind of makes sense. If MOST consumers want flashlights, but do not want to pay a lot, and you meet their needs, you can make a lot of money!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new version of the ArcWhite is available in Walmart - There have been several posts about it.

If you're wondering why they're not that popular with the members of this board, just remember 2 things:

First, we flashaholics like lights that are really bright, really durable, and really small. None of these characteristics fit Eveready lights.

Second, look at my recently finished overall output page and see where the Eveready 2-D light sits on the chart (look for the red bar). Compared to the much smaller and brighter lights available, it's a joke. It may be "the most popular light in the world", just not in this part of the world (CPF). There are just too many better lights out there for CPFers to choose from, plus it's output is essentially matched by 5 - 6 nichia LEDs!

http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/reviews/lightbox_output.htm

Of course, the general population is the market for Eveready, not the niche users like most of us.

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that the 2D even beat the MiniMag. Yes, I'm sure Eveready holds the market for mass murchanding of more afforadable lights. You hardly ever see any other brands at Cub Foods, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc... They are built and marketed for the residential consumer.

As mentioned before, they have tried in the past to put out some semi-high tech lights (ie the Double Barrel) but the majority of the public thought it outrageous to pay $30.00 for a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good points made by both of you...

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam,

awesome job! I'm impressed. I agree with all your measurement... I do not own so many different lights, but I find your data pretty "solid".

BTW... I own many different Energizer DBs... does anybody know if Energizer ever sold replacement bulbs, and where they are available?

Thanks

Anthony

fivebyfive

Enlightened
My opinion is that this forum is pretty much geared on high performance flashlights, as I am of course. So being that eveready really don't produce any hi performance lights we just don't discuss much about the company and their products.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart has the 4AA/AAA replacement bulbs. I once saw a 6AA bulb at K-Mart but not recently. I guess I'll sell my DB6AA to a modder when the bulb burns out.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get replacement bulbs from either Carley or Welch-Allyn (can't remember which) as well as much, MUCH better/brighter bulbs. FWIW...

RussH

Enlightened
I took the old 2 cell eveready industrial flashlight (plastic, although he used to have some steel ones) that I inhereted from my grandfather and put 2 of Electrolumens 3 to D converters in it with a 4.8v krypton (4 cell) bulb. Works good with NiMH. Wally world has new ones for about $4, although there are many better choices depending on your preferences. The reflector is not smooth, although I'm not sure how to refer to it. It gives a fairly smooth beam.

I currently have it running on alkaline which usually are a little too hot for 4.8v bulbs when fresh - maybe the 3toDs limit the current enough. Anyway, my plan was to use Carley Xenon star 5-cell bulbs with alkaline, and that's what the spare bulb is. This drastically improves the light, enough to get it out of the joke catagory (IMHO).

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure Carley or WA have better bulbs, but IIRC they have high minimum orders? WA, especially.

That would be good for NiMH. For alkalines, 700mA is the highest I'd want in there.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
So WA #01286 4.2V .7A is the stock bulb. What replacement do you recommend?

I wonder why they went with so high a voltage. 3.6V is the norm for 3 cell lights. Then again, I checked, and WA does not make any other T-2-1/4 lamp at near the right voltage. One was 2.86 or so, and the others 5V and up.

Didn't look like Carley had any T-2-1/4 size lamps. Do the 2-1/2 fit?

Looks like Carley has a $50 minimum and WA $100. A group buy would be my only opportunity.

I wish I could:
1. Make it fit the MagNum Star Xenon bulb
2. Buy an Inretech 18 LED board w/o Mag connector or
3. Find a 3-4.5Vin Luxeon driver and/or
4. Find a heatsink that would fit in there. An emitter on a small copper post connected to a larger disk, maybe.
5. Get someone experienced to mod it to LEDs.