What is flameing?

kev1-1

Enlightened
Call me stupid, but what exactly is flameing?
confused.gif

mikep

Enlightened
I think in this context it's referring to a personal attack, rather than a well-mannered disagreement.

In the US, "flameing" can also have the connotation of someone who acts flamboyantly homosexual. I believe in Burger King in England I was surprised to see a "BK Flamer" on the menu- here they call it the BK Broiler"

mikep

Enlightened
You can appreciate now how I wanted to respond to your original question with a half page of insults, followed by the explanation that I was just 'illustrating' what flaming is.
smile.gif
It was a perfect set up!

JackBlades

Enlightened
"Flaming" is deliberately posting something that is sure to generate negative feedback with the intention of entertaining yourself with your ability to anger others.

It is considered to be very immature behavior.

Edited to add: Persons who "Flame" are known as "Trolls". You don't want to be labeled "Troll".
On a polite forum such as CPF, you conduct yourself as if you were sitting across the table having coffee & conversation with others.
wink.gif

r2

Enlightened
Originally posted by JackBlades:
"Flaming" is deliberately posting something that is sure to generate negative feedback with the intention of entertaining yourself with your ability to anger others.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, that sounds more like flame-baiting, or attempting to incite others to flame you with some provocative statement. The flame is the angry response. One noteable quality of flames is that they are generally packed with extreme assertions that the same person would be unlikely to make in person, on the phone, or even by letter. Something about email and other electronic forums makes people cross boundaries they wouldn't using another medium.

- Russ

Max

Enlightened
troll

v.,n. 1. [paraphrased from the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

flamen
\Fla"men\, n.; pl. E. Flammens, L. Flamines. [L.] (Rom. Antiq.) A priest devoted to the service of a particular god, from whom he received a distinguishing epithet. The most honored were those of Jupiter, Mars, and Quirinus, called respectively Flamen Dialis, Flamen Martialis, and Flamen Quirinalis.
also--
In cats;
'The flehman response', also known by some people as 'stinking face', is a grimacing look easily identified by an open mouth, wrinkled nose, raised chin and gaping tongue...(everyone's a critic!
smile.gif
) ..pictures of a tiger flehman:

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/flehman.html