What is the brightest flashlight?

Lara

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light out of curiosity at a DIY superstore recently and while it is cheaply made and the reflector produces some artifacts, it is very bright. (Claims >2M CP)

johnlite.jpg

When you use it to light up objects far away, you don't notice any of the artifacts at all. At a price of $25 it is quite a good light. I wonder how it would compare to a Surefire M6.

beamshot1.jpg

Lara

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
What is the small light on the side? LED?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just a small incandescent light. You can use it for close-up work or you can tilt it so that you see where you are walking while the large beam is directed forward.

r2

Enlightened
I wouldn't put too much weight in a dictionary definition of flashlight. English dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive, meaning that they are made to reflect common usage rather than define correct usage. People will use "flashlight" to describe all kinds of things (I've heard someone label his cell phone a flashlight when he used the backlight to find something in the dark) but that doesn't mean we have to go along with it.

I like some of the criteria size15s listed for distinguishing a flashlight from other portable light sources, and I'd say with the collection of people we have on CPF we can make as authoritative a definition as anyone.

- Russ

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The brightest UNmodded HAND held flashlight I have come across thus far in my looking is a toss up between my Pelican M6 or Brinkmann LX. Both are two 123Lith lights.

Honorable mention goes to PT40.

Although I did buy a turnkey SpaceneedleII from Mr. Bulk that's pretty damn bright!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the Surge (man, PrincetonTec should be paying me royalties the way I recommend this thing)...

A definite step up from the Legend LX available from Walmart (a 2 x 123 light) both in throw and in runtime. About 5 times the runtime and throwing a bit better the entire time.

Here's a pic of the LX and the Surge along with the ubiquitous Mag 2D.

Mag2D%20Surge%20LegendLX%202.jpg

And here's a comparison of the tighest I can get my Mag vs just about the widest you can get the Surge. Even at these two extremes, the hotspot of the Surge at it's widest embarasses the Mag at it's tightest.

1M%20Mag%202D.jpg
1M%20Surge%208AA.jpg

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you forgot 4 a container usually cylindrical for storage of dead batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
stangster said:
Dictionary.com - Flashlight

1. A small portable lamp usually powered by batteries.
2. A brief brilliant flood of light from a photographic lamp.
3. A bright light, as of a signal lamp, that flashes at regular intervals.
4. A small portable battery-powered electric lamp

So under the common definition of flashlight, I would say a "spotlight" is very much a flashlight IMHO.

So any one of those 1+ million CP "spotlights" are the brightest flashlights period.

If you want a flashlight that you don't need huge muscles to operate, based on my short CPF life seems to be the SF M6. Anyone know how it compares to one of those vectors?

[/ QUOTE ]