What is your "typical" target?

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Re: What is your \"typical\" target?

When I go on my nightly "Flashlight walk" we bring the dog along and I usually carry my 15W(+) modded incan Mag or one of my 3W Lux modded Mags for distance spotting, deterring other agressive dogs, looking for flowers and/or giant moths up in the trees (they often fly down to the light and land on my shirt) and spotting the occasional owl as it passes over on the way to its nightly hunting grounds.

I also carry either my VIP (low power) or one of those multi-LED chinese lights for close-up "mine removal" illumination. The VIP is actually suited for both near and far range duties with its adjustable power - but if I used it for both then I'd only have to carry one light - and where's the fun in that?

When I go to the Gym I have an Princeton Tec Eclipse on my keychain for finding the keyhole in the dark (my car already has enough scratches, thank you). I also often have a PT20 or Pelican M6 in the bag for... um... well, just because.

When we go night diving I have my UK LC100 for primary illumination of all things aquatic. I also have a C4 eLED and PT40 & PT20 (with E91 Lithiums and Xenon lamps) as back up or "loaner" lights, and a PT Aqua Flare (a PT20 with a glow-cone) with an EverLED as a marker and area illumination light (and if I pull off the glow-cone it makes a decent extra back up light). The Aqua Flare works great for rinsing at the beach showers after the dive. Just hang it on the shower head and it provides a nice soft, wide-area light.

When working on computers I often use my VIP or one of the chinese multi-LED lights to light up the dark nooks and crannies where power connectors and jumpers like to hide.

Sometimes I just like to stand outside on my deck and light up the empty field across the street. For that I use a variety of lights like my LC100, my modded Mags, the PM6, VIP, PT40 or whatever happens to be close at hand that has enough throw to light up the bushes and dirt piles. My favorite for that is my 2D/3C modded Mag with a Hotlips, TX1K Lux 3W and a PMR. Doesn't throw quite as far as my modded incan Mag, but it has such a nice smooth, white beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Aloha, iG

simbad

Enlightened

I use my lights for different purposes, basically at work when Im sailing I take my Arc4 in pocket all the time and sometimes I pull out me E2e to illuminate anything far away, for closer tasks I use my 4+ in low level, the most practical light I own.

HesNot

Enlightened

This is an interesting question and I can't recall every discussing it before.

I don't hike and don't dive, and I'm a lawyer so my work rarely requires illumination duties. Consequently I use a light for stuff around the house mostly and walking the dog (and have one with me in case the power goes out - fairly common in NC unfortunately whether it is ice storms or hurricanes).

This general duty need is one reason that the Arc LSH-P (particularly with the 2aa pack and NiMH = free power!) remains my most used utility light. I use it in my now memorialized crawls around under the house (nothing like living in a 1940 house with a "slither" as opposed to crawl space - there's always something that needs looking at or fixing - changing the furnace filter, etc...). I also use it on walks with the dog - although I could probably stand to use something more like an Opalec for that duty. I also use it each morning to find my clothes in the closet which does not have a light. And of course I grab it on my way out the door if I have to get something out of the car or take out the garbage after sundown.

I carry my Arc4+ with me most of the time at home and use the multiple power levels frequently - particularly the dimmest setting, when I'm coming down from my finished attic office after my 2yo and wife have gone to bed to keep from stumbling on a child or dog toy etc.. and to dig stuff out of dark cabinets. Having the ability to ramp up the power is particularly helpful.

I use my E2e less frequently, I usually carry it with me under the house if I need to spot something at the other end that the Arc doesn't quite illuminate or when I need to check out what the dogs are doing in the back yard. But the reality is that I am shy about using it due to the cost of 123 batteries (really need to start buying them online to defray some of this cost) and burning out that expensive Surefire bulb. Another reason I am thinking seriously about a Strion - I'd probably use that a lot more since I don't have battery concerns but I can buy a lot of batterstation 123s with the $90 it takes to buy one so it probably isn't justified.

I don't have a real "reach out and touch someone" light and have been pondering some Mag modifications for those moments when you hear something go bump in the night and really want a blinding light - but haven't figured out which one yet - a luxIII type mod is certainly appealing.

Photonian

Newly Enlightened

Electronic components, circuit boards, I use my Arc4+ as a microscope lamp. Hiking and camping I usually take the FF2 for the great flood beam. Walking the dog at night it's usually the FF2--sometimes the E2e.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

HesNot,

Yea, a 3W Luxeon direct drive in a 3 cell Mag is a pretty simple and very rewarding mod. I've built several and can crank one out in about 20-30 minutes now (and that's mainly waiting for the AS and Krylon sputter to cure enough for a quick test). Really great thrower that's pretty easy on batteries. And with a sputtered reflector it has loads of spill too. Blows my VIP away.

But if you really want a monster light, look into the Thor 10MCP, or the Vector 3MCP spots. Big, heavy, and a huge ammount of photons for the dollar.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 in the morning at walls and buildings across the street + those reflective road signs down the street

Boris

Newly Enlightened

Power outages are common in my country. actualy, i am receiving only an hour of power at night, so im in the dark most of the time. What is my "typical" target? well, anything in front of my eyes. walking inside the house, reading, checking the backyard for anithing strange, wallking, to light the room i;m in, and why not, to see people reaction wen they show me their cheap flashlights, and try to show me "how powerfull" they are!. then, i turn on a "real one" and see their faces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . nobody knows more than a mag here.. and they find mags "the King of the flashlingts" (i was one fo them before i knew CPF)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I illuminate the inside of my house each night for several round trips, errands, bathroom, kids, etc. Mostly I stick with 5mm lights like a TT 2L, AT-100 or Nightcutter. Outside, I EDC a Firefly II on my keychain, primarily for spot/sudden task duty or to illuminate a pathway for myself and others. And then there's the walking/outdoors light. For this, I like as many lumens and as much throw as possible. Currently I use a Pila G3LR or MC60 for this. Sometimes, I just want to be seen as illuminated; for this marker type duty, I use a Glo-Toob FX.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I find that it's increasingly difficult to se past the glare in displays full of plister packs. I don't see as well in any dim light, so I have been know to whip out a flashlight at moment's notice just to read the fine print in the stores.

For testing throw, I target a 100 foot tall palm tree that's 300 feet from the house. When I point my multi million candlepower spotlights at helicopters, some point their search lights at me, so I stopped doing that.

I also frequently look for critters in the yard or investigacte noises outside. I've a variety of throwers to handle that, from a 1 watt Epion to a 3xLuxIII maglight.

Daniel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My most common "target" is a calibrated paper target stood up or mounted 12" from the flashlight under test; a wall approximately 5 feet away is used for some, and a door and a bedroom wall is used for a few others. But this is in my official capacity as a flashlight reviewer.

Actual uses are checking the ammeter on the back of my electric wheelchair to see if it's charged, the cord's plug and receptacle when it's time to change plugs (the chair has a dual electrical and charging system), the ground in front of me at night (if I need to go somewhere after sunset) (a SureFire L6 has this duty at the moment), the keyboard of the lab computer when I'm running a battery discharge analysis on something, and the insides of various boxes when I'm looking for something.

These are my primary "targets".

capnal

Enlightened

I try my best to illuminate my cats. More specifically this pair of black cats that like to run outside into the back yard at night time when I open the personnel door to the garage. Only about half the back yard is lit up by my flood lights and without fail they run into the bushes in the dark half. It is harder than it sounds to rodeo those little suckers back into the house.

I use a vareity of different lights for this, usually depending on what I put on my belt or in my pocket to carry that day. A diagonal line from one corner of the yard to the opposite is about right at 100 feet. SL TT 2L sees a lot of use for this, great with the combo light source. Sometimes I need to shine from the back yard all the way up the south side yard to the street, which is about 110 feet and that entire side yard is not lit. Other common ones to have with me include: SL TT 1L, PM6, SF G2, SF 6P, SL Scorp., and X5T (which is only good for close up bushes inspection).

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any thing suspicious after dark thirty gets plastered with photons and somethings just for the heck of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

turbodog

Flashaholic

A2: jogging at night (low to jog, high to blast aggressive dogs)

zipka/UK2Led: camping, whole weekend on one set batts, no spare batts or bulbs to mess with

stinger/mag charger: long outside jobs, working on cars, 4 wheeler riding, finishing up cutting the grass when I start too late and run out of daylight

cannon50

Newly Enlightened

My typical targets during the day are product labels on drums in a poorly lighted warehouse, tools left around all over said warehouse, switches in the switchbox which is located in the darkest corner of the warehouse. Lately I have been using it to direct truck drivers that back into the warehouse from bright daylight. My light for work is a MM reg.with T-lux3. At night around the house my BB400 gets used for working on the dark insides of small toys (grandkids') , various electronic equipment, and fountain pens.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

At work,
Insides of medical equipment

Small devices--Arc AAA/MicroIlluminator

Medium devices--MicroIlluminator

Large devices--Streamlight Jr. Luxeon

At home,
Walking around house at night--Arc AAA

Reading light--Arc AA

Night walks--BB500 R2H minimag

What was that? light--MM+ R2H 2D Mag

Recumbent bicycle lighting system

Helmet Light--BB500 R2H Fraen LP minimag

Frame Light--MM+ R2H 2D Mag

Camping Lights--Elektrolumens Anglelux plus the others above

Deployment Lights

Low power shower light (white)--Arc AA on lanyard

Low power blackout shower light (red) Arc AAA red on lanyard

Higher power blackout walking/shower light (red) Peak 5 LED AA red

Reading Light--Arc AA

EDC keychain light--Arc AAA

EDC light--Streamlight Jr. Luxeon

Backup EDC light--BB500 R2H Minimag

WTF was that light--MM+ R2H 2D Mag

Loaner Lights--Dorcy AAA, Arc AA, Peak 3 LED AA red (only good friends get the Peak or Arc)

High powered cannon with adjustable output--8AA in 2D Mag with nFlex regulator with WX1S Luxeon V. (awaiting parts/will be built in Iraq and evaluated by Green Goose/Predator Squadron in October)

I have quite a few flashlights, but I use them all. Some of my lights make me edgy when they are on (blackout red lights) but it is better red than dead!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif