What Sunglasses do you wear?

Arkayne

Enlightened
Oakley Minute

IMG_2654.jpg

trdvet

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair of Oakleys Fives 2.0 with polarized lenses. I have some cheapies too but compared to my Oakleys it's not even a fair fight.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Maui Jim or Oakleys depending on which ones I can find. Damn things are always getting lost through no fault of mine.
Lux, have you tried using those retainer cord-thingies? Ever since I started using Croakies, I haven't lost a pair. I used to take my glasses off and "put them somewhere" (lose them). Now I just let them hang from my neck.

sygyzy

Enlightened
I know a lot of people who won't invest in good glasses and claim they love their $5 swapmeet specials. I wear Oakley's 90% of the time. I also like Rudy Project. I have Ray Bans, and Serenghetti's too but only when I am walking around or driving. I like Oakleys and Rudy's for any sports.

da.gee

Enlightened
When Revo was bought by Ray Ban years back I switched from their excellent lenses (now not as excellent) to Maui Jims. I have two pair of the Wailea's right now with different lenses. These are probably the fifth pair of MJs I've owned. Overall very satisfied with the brand. I believe MJs have the best optics but I could be convinced otherwise.

I do like several of the Oakley models for looks but seem to always choose the MJs when it comes down to it. My theory is if you spend a lot on glasses you do keep track of them.

guardpost3

Enlightened
:faint: Nothing but matte black Oakleys... my dream world!!! I REALLY want to get me some of those gloves though!

My next paycheck is going to the SI Fives Squared and the SI Assault Gloves! Maybe some SI Gascans...

from their website:
"The SI Line (Standard Issue), is designed exclusively for government customers. It is not available in retail stores."

you need to be military or emergency services in order to have an account with usstandardissue, but if you are then its the best deal out there. before I was eligible I spent $200 on a half jacket array, thru the standard issue program I got the same ones for $70!

gsxrac

Enlightened
from their website:
"The SI Line (Standard Issue), is designed exclusively for government customers. It is not available in retail stores."

you need to be military or emergency services in order to have an account with usstandardissue, but if you are then its the best deal out there. before I was eligible I spent $200 on a half jacket array, thru the standard issue program I got the same ones for $70!

Ive got friends in the military ;) Also looks like firemen and police officers can register. Not to mention when I searched for SI Oakleys on google a bunch of places popped up to purchase them for around $100

spock

Enlightened
several years ago i bought Serengetti sunglasses. had the lenses removed and the frames sent to corning with my prescription. they cut photogray lenses (glass) in brown and put a vapor coating on the inside after the cut. the coating is not anti reflective. i think it increases light transmission like in good binoculars. like ICUDOC said, they are fantastic! i can wear them at night or in the brighest sun. you don't see thru them like a pair of regular sunglasses. the images are so vivid, it is hard to describe. lucky for me, my eyes haven't changed much. don't know if corning still offers the service.

guardpost3

Enlightened
Ive got friends in the military ;) Also looks like firemen and police officers can register. Not to mention when I searched for SI Oakleys on google a bunch of places popped up to purchase them for around $100

Yes police, fire and ems personnel can apply for an account. Ive seen alot of the SI Oakleys leak out, especially on ebay and such. I would never buy them simply because the people selling them are ruining a great program that helps the people that keep this country safe, believe me they are making a hell of a profit selling them for $100, most SI glasses cost half that.

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Lux, have you tried using those retainer cord-thingies? Ever since I started using Croakies, I haven't lost a pair. I used to take my glasses off and "put them somewhere" (lose them). Now I just let them hang from my neck.
:thumbsup:Big time endorsement on the Croakies, I have had two pairs of Sunglasses over the past twelve years or so and have only lost one pair and I believe that was because my Croakies broke so I probably left them somewhere.

I have an older pair of Oakly Straitjackets that have plastic hinges that can break apart and be popped back together, a great feature for any outdoor activity. My favorite pair were Arnets, classic Clint Eastwood wrap arounds, that I believe were bought out by Vaurnet, a French company. They have great looking glasses with multiple lens choices but very limited in American except online.

If there is a model of Oakleys that have the break away hinges, I would go for them again and once you have quality optics, your eyes will thank you especially when you are around snow and heavy glare. Paying to protect you eyesight is well worth the investment and once you start paying for them protect them with a pair of Croakies. I believe my Oakleys were 70 on sale and I know that I have had them for 6-7 years so that's around 10$ a year, about the same for a lost pair of inexpensive glasses.

guardpost3

Enlightened
If there is a model of Oakleys that have the break away hinges, I would go for them again

I know the new Oakley Fives, Fives 2.0, Fives Squared have the breakaway hinge :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just realized the Flak Jackets on my head have the same hinge too

Last edited:

Latest posts