What to do with a thief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Do your job. Protect the people you are responsible for. Follow guidelines that have probably been established for stealing, which probably include reporting such behavior to your superior. If you do not handle this to the satisfaction of your superior and your charges (students) you may will lose your job.

Bill

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boys will be boys.

Just kidding. Seriously now, I would check with the landlord to see what options you have, before you decide what to do with the student.

jugg2

Enlightened
What I probably will not consider :
- put something in the stolen (or to-be-stolen) food
- nail him to the cross

I promise if you nail him to a cross he will never do it again.

But seriously, I can understand second chances in some situations, but if this is a serious problem, then you should just kick him out. If you don't, it will usually just come back and bite you in the ***.

manoloco

Enlightened
in my opinion someone with money that steals food, simply doesnt care or respects anyone in there, by logic if he doesnt care then he wont mind going somewhere else to live; if he resents it, then it may be someone you probably would be better living without (that last part is purely an assumption).

About sharing things:
Imo (again), you ASK first, you dont go crawling unnoticed taking someone else´s property be it food, a dime, or the lint of their pocket.

i would just say goodbye, if you want to give him a lesson about respecting others, this would be the better way, otherwise you will just be proving him right on not respecting others.

He will be ok, specially if he has money.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
If he was in a middle east country they would had his hands cut off already. There are always 2 sides of the story if he has money and don't want to spend on food then he deserves being kicked out if he doesn't have money then he should given a 2nd chance.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the US (which this case is not), "Man Traps" (such as a fenced off skylight energized with 240 VAC to electrocute somebody breaking in) will get you thrown in jail with the key tossed away.

Maintaining an "attractive nuisance" can also get you in trouble. Food laced with non-standard ingredients may or may not apply (chocolate ex-lax in a chocolate cake--the guy gets injured from a food allergy or gets dehydrated and dies, etc.)--but I guarantee that several attorneys will be making a good living off of "you" for quite a while--whatever the courts eventually find.

Anyway--the day is done--what happened?

-Bill

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Although I think there may be situations where "giving a second chance" might be warranted, I don't think this is one of them. This guy has been methodically stealing food to the point that he has turned it into an Olympic event. Several hundred euros is a lot of food. Anybody who is 19 years old certainly knows this is wrong, so I can't imagine that he could have a plausible explanation or excuse. I would not want to live someplace with a person like that lurking around all the time. I don't see why he couldn't just as easily be stealing laptops, books, etc. I would tell him to hit the road. Please let us know what he said when you confronted him.

Farmer_Rob

Newly Enlightened
put him on blast in front of EVERYONE

you dont have have to pardon his poor misdeeds -let him justify them to EVERYONE

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
If it were me deciding, I would have to take into consideration what he is like as a person, the stealing notwithstanding. Is he otherwise a friendly and considerate person?
Be generous with 2nd chances. We've all made mistakes.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The person has apparently stolen ~$400 of food over several months from a dorm with 40 people and has no friends (there?)... Probably little chance that he/she is a "friendly and considerate person"...

-Bill

DieselTech

Enlightened
I'd say he just needs a good talking to...

A few choice words while you beat the tar out of him. :D:twak::twak:

I have a thing about thieves: dont like them one bit. At my last job, we encountered a guy who was stealing tools, both from coworkers and off the tool truck. We informed the boss, showed him the proof.

He decided to let us deal with the thief, and went home at lunch. The ext day, a certain individual was found strapped to the roof of a semi trailer that was parked out in the rain. His response was to call the tool dealer and inform him that the thief had been identified, and suggested that the tool dealer press charges.

It sounds like an over-reaction, but this individual stole over 20,000 dollars worth of tools from his coworkers and significantly more than that from the tool dealer. I think we let him off too easy. :devil::sssh:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recommending illegal actions is enough to get this (or any) thread closed...

-Bill

PS: Also admitting to an illegal action on the Internet (with details and possible location provide) is also not a great idea either...

Status
Not open for further replies.