When will LEDs be out that you can distinguish all colors with?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Yeah, I should have mentioned that my observations do not agree with those of everyone else. I have been following threads of a similar vein for a while now, and there is some variability in the way people perceive the same light source in the same situation. I can't say I have had great difficulty telling colors apart using the more common LEDs either, with the possible exception of certain shades of green/brown. Do people with brains that seem better at interpreting color under cool white LED light also not notice issues with depth perception when using them? I wonder to what extent people agree on the improvement of depth perception using a Nichia 083 vs. a standard cool white LED for example.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: When will LEDs be out that you can distinguish arall colors with?

So what is the CRI of a halogen compared to the Sundrop LED?
I really don't know about the halogen bulb. WelchAllyn doesn't quote any specs on their proprietry lamps. The SunDrop has a CRI of 93.

spgrk

Newly Enlightened

I really don't know about the halogen bulb. WelchAllyn doesn't quote any specs on their proprietry lamps. The SunDrop has a CRI of 93.

So there aren't any medical instrument makers who use LED's?

Holzleim

Newly Enlightened
One thing I can suggest for doing comparisons of different LED/incan tints and color spectrums is using the different light during night-barbecue. Unfortunately I did not take any shots yet so I'll have to wait until next time we do babecue in the dark.......

But when I last time used a cold white LED light during barbecue I recognized it being very hard to determine whether the peace of meat is done or not. Using my lamp with 4x neutral white CREE XR-E did a lot better job but still far away from incan light or daylight.

So if someone does a barbecue in the next time (after dark), perhaps take the time to do some shots.......

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I can suggest for doing comparisons of different LED/incan tints and color spectrums is using the different light during night-barbecue. Unfortunately I did not take any shots yet so I'll have to wait until next time we do babecue in the dark.......

But when I last time used a cold white LED light during barbecue I recognized it being very hard to determine whether the peace of meat is done or not. Using my lamp with 4x neutral white CREE XR-E did a lot better job but still far away from incan light or daylight.

So if someone does a barbecue in the next time (after dark), perhaps take the time to do some shots.......
Good point. I can distinguish between different colors with many different types and tints of light. If what I'm seeing something I have seen before, I know what the color is supposed to be and I can compare other things to that. When I am trying to see the tint of pink in a steak on the grill, I don't have a reference point, and I don't know what color it is supposed to be. It is much easier to tell how done a steak is with an incan.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be quite a bit of red phosphor in the cree in my experience. I made a red filter for my NDI and it works a treat, so the red is there.
Of course there is red there. The point is there is not enough(or as broad spectrum wise) when CRI is critical. I am probably the biggest fan Cree has on this site. I bought Cree stock and no one else because I believe in them. The fact of the matter is that in general I do not like SSC because I do not think they have gotten the basics right and given there products a solid foundation. That said I tell it like it is. The high CRI P4 makes the cool white Crees like sickly and disgusting. The warm/neutral white Crees fair much better and would be better than the P4 for most everything due to its more durable build and decent enough color rendering.

Don't believe me though. Buy yourself some and enjoy. First thing you will say is, "ohhh..THATS what he was talking about".

I am going to be putting 7 of these high CRI P4s in one of my lights as soon as I can. Can't wait for 400-500 lumens of high CRI goodness.:cool:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

So there aren't any medical instrument makers who use LED's?

No, there are not any illumination LED's that have been marketed for medical use that I am aware of.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading about LED lights for surgery at some point. It was probably here at CPF.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been threads about using LEDs in dentist's headlamps. Here is one.

In surgical illumination or dental use, perfect color rendition isn't always so critical, except when trying to match shades as said in this article. In my medical practice, color is more important. While I believe medical lights could be made now with LED's like the Nichia 083 high CRI, I haven't come across them.

discoverEDC

Enlightened
In surgical illumination or dental use, perfect color rendition isn't always so critical, except when trying to match shades as said in this article. In my medical practice, color is more important. While I believe medical lights could be made now with LED's like the Nichia 083 high CRI, I haven't come across them.

Just mod the Novatac, you'll like it :naughty:

Sorry BabyDoc, I couldn't resist, no disrespect ment to you.

Walt

DM51

Flashaholic
IIRC you have a McGizmo Sundrop. Are you using that in your practice, and how is it working out?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC you have a McGizmo Sundrop. Are you using that in your practice, and how is it working out?

Actually, the SunDrop is working out very well. I actually think it gives better color rendition than the incadescent and halogen Welch Allyn Otoscopes that I have used in the pass to examine throats. All shades of pink and red really show up well, without a hint of yellow as I can see with the other lights.

As I said before, I have my SunDrop modified with an acrylic hemisphere held onto the sundrop with a Rubber SureFire Filter adapter. This concentrates the beam so that I don't blind the patient, since the SunDrop is essentially a wide flood even at close distances. This setup works out great because it gives bright illumination of the entire oral cavity with no hot spots. One look and I see the entire picture, rather than reaiming the narrow, less bright, otoscope beam around the mouth. Reaiming a light shouldn't seem like a big deal but when you are struggling to look into a mouth of a 2 year old, the SunDrop makes it a much quicker examination, which makes me happy and the patient less unhappy.
The only thing that would make this better would be some ability to adjust the brightness downward for checking pupil reactivity, and perhaps a smaller lens than what I am using. 30 lumens is way to bright for shining into somebody's eyes.

discoverEDC

Enlightened

BabyDoc,

PM sent.

Regards,
Walt