When will LEDs be out that you can distinguish all colors with?

TexLite

Enlightened
Being able to represent precise color hues and being able to tell the difference between two separate colors is a completely different problem. The solution for one is overkill for the other.

As I said,incorrect generalization.

If you had actually used the emitters discussed here you wouldnt make such comments which steer the OP in the wrong direction.

-Michael

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing is believing. I never saw a problem with normal cool white Cree color rendering...that is until I got the high CRI SSC P4. I compared a light I built with the P4 in it to my Tiablo A9 WC and suddenly I could finally understand what incan people have been going on about all these years. Color rendering really makes a difference. I tested them one after the other on my sons bed which has a brightly multi-colored cover. After seeing the SSC P4 the Cree WC made me want to puke. The first thing I thought of when I turned on the Cree WC after having seen the SSC P4 was.. DEATH. It was like the life got sucked out of the room. If anyone wants to go giveing other people advice on LED choice when color rendering is the issue, don't until you have tried one of these high CRI LEDs.

kurni

Enlightened
Oh sh*t; I can't believe you guys introduced another variable to me...

This addiction is sickening...

Now I'll be looking for CRI :(

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
Any production lights with the SSC P4 or Nichia high CRI LED's? I don't doubt that the McGizmo Sundrop is a fantastic light, but it's very expensive.

TexLite

Enlightened
Any production lights with the SSC P4 or Nichia high CRI LED's? I don't doubt that the McGizmo Sundrop is a fantastic light, but it's very expensive.

The McGizmo Sundrop is the only production light I'm aware of at the moment.

You could always build you own with the Nichia or the SSC P4,many have done it with good results.One thing to keep in mind however is that not every host will make a good candidate.Some dont mix the tint well.

Now I'll be looking for CRI :(

Also keep in mind that the Neutral White Cree's do a good job of being pleasing the eyes,and are fine for most applications.

The High CRI emitters are most necessary where being able to distinguish between color variations is important.

-Michael

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting topic. So I've tried a small test:)

Please note that background on a sunlight shot was different. I've left white balance on auto but the pictures are very close to what I've seen with my own eyes. Cree 5A is pretty good imho.

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
Interesting topic. So I've tried a small test:)

Please note that background on a sunlight shot was different. I've left white balance on auto but the pictures are very close to what I've seen with my own eyes. Cree 5A is pretty good imho.

thanks for that
I have been thinking REALLY hard on the 5A cree

this is a perfect picture to illustrate how this CRI stuff works

DM51

Flashaholic
I've left white balance on auto
The problem with that is that the white balance will be adjusted by the camera in a different way for each exposure - if it "sees" something that looks too blue, it will add some red, etc etc.

Would you be able to repeat those shots with the WB set to daylight for all the exposures? Then we should get an interesting comparison. I would expect an LED to give a weak rendering of the reds and oranges, and an incan to be poor with blue colors.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: When will LEDs be out that you can distinguish arall colors with?

Interesting subject. Most people prefer the cool light of the LED's today but the reason for the cool white tint is the same reason pinks and reds do not show up well with these lights.

Looking at a spectal distibution with a XRE type LED the Blue wavelength of light (425-475nm) is very prominent, then the greens and yellows (500-600nm) are around half as prominent. Around 625nm (Pink) these wavelengths of light are starting to fall off and by 700nm(Red) this light is almost non exsistant, hence pinks and reds do not show up well.

With a typical Incandescent just the opposite is true. Reds are prominent and Blue's are almost non-exsistant.

Sunlight is prominent at both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between. Actually beyond both ends of the visible spectrum.

The TK20 has the best color rendention I've seen in a LED light so far but the tint is very yellow even comparing it to my Inova T4-MP

It has been a while since I seen it but I think it was Kiessling (bernie) who puplished a spectral analysis of the sun, led, and incandescent light which educated me when I first started buying LED lights. I'm sure someone can find it.

Bill

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

The TK20 has the best color rendention I've seen in a LED light so far but the tint is very yellow even comparing it to my Inova T4-MP.
Bill

1) Regarding the photos of the computer wires: those shots are great! As somone who has spent many hours working with computers, and many hours spent working (playing?) with LED lights, I had no idea how hard it could be to tell the difference with LED light until seeing that photo!

2) Regarding the TK20, do we know for sure it is using the 5A Q2?

3) As for other production lights, it's neither an SSC nor a Cree, and I do not know if it is specifically rated as "high CRI," but I was up late into the wee hours of the morning researching the Inova T1-MP, which has received great acclaim by members here for its "golden" hue and terrific color rendition. It uses a K2. See here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190838

LEDAdd1ct

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting subject. Most people prefer the cool light of the LED's today but the reason for the cool white tint is the same reason pinks and reds do not show up well with these lights.

Bill
That's not exactly true... I think things are about to get interesting here. I thought CRI had to do with color temperature, too. I was searching for a warmer tint LED. I tried out a SSC U2SVO... and reds do not show up well with that light, but the tint seems pretty warm. My EX10 GDP on the other hand, has higher CRI than a Q5, but it has a more blue color than my Q5 EX10... but! My GDP shows reds very nicely.

I can't wait to see what I learn next!

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would you be able to repeat those shots with the WB set to daylight for all the exposures? Then we should get an interesting comparison. I would expect an LED to give a weak rendering of the reds and oranges, and an incan to be poor with blue colors.

Here you go. I've some troubles with imageshack so I uploaded daylight WB shots here. Down left is Olight T25-T and down right is Fenix TK20 (according to Fenix 4000K -> tint bin is 5A or 5B). Upper right is solarforce F-4 with luxeon III, very ugly cool tint :sick2: I'm going to upgrade it with SSC U2 SWO...

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for those - it is interesting to see the difference at that setting.

Assuming sunlight is upper left as before, the TK20 looks the most accurate to my eye - the reds are a little washed out, but really not bad at all.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for those great real-world shots jirik cz. The TK20 does a very good job at showing colors, with the T25 not far behind. Pictures like these really are worth a thousand words.

passive101

Enlightened
If I understand this correctly all new LED's will have the better LEDs in them. I don't necessarily need one right this minute. Should I maybe wait and soon all the new lights will have these better lights?

cdosrun

Enlightened
I think that photo is really helpful to show the differences but, personally, find the Cree WC 'better than sunlight' because of the way it differentiates the brown and orange wires. On the right where the two are adjacent as they enter the ATX plug I think it could be difficult to distinguish the two colours on both the sunlight shot and with the Cree 5A, whereas the Cree WC and to some extent the Luxeon show the differences more clearly.

Admittedly, it could just be the setup of my monitor. I have a 5A Dereelight pill on the way so I will be able to see for myself quite soon.

Andrew

Latest posts