Which Surefire for EMS work?

Luna

Enlightened
carrot said:
It has a brighter output than the L4 on high and a usable low.

Seem the lux lotto is winning the battle over current, my current L4 is brighter than my L2 (which is better than average).

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
This is what I use when working on the ambulance- I have a C2 in a custom made kydex belt sheath. The light has a G&P 175 lumen lamp powered by a set of unprotected DSD 800 mah R123's. In my bag behind my seat I have a spares carrier with a second set of R123's and two sets of SF 123's and a P60 lamp. I work in NYC in some bad areas and I don't believe in messing around when my safety is at risk. My setup lights up everything I ask it to, indoors or out, rain, fog, cobwebs, etc. I also used it several times last winter to quickly melt frozen outside compartment locks on the ambulance. To check pupils I mostly use the very edge of the spill, or I'll use my generic Photon. I also keep my A2 in my bag as a backup. It is a fine primary light for EMS, but I love my little sun!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
not a surefire but i suggest an HDS 42 or 60, 4 user configurable light levels from search light, to low enough to check someones pupils.

and it will fit in the parm of you hand, And if it falls out of the ambulance when you are doing 60mph it will just laugh and carry on working.

regards.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Carrot said! I have both the L4 w/two way switch and the L2....I would go with the L2.

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys carry your flashlights for work? I would assume a holster of some kind...

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I have a Rip-Offs pouch, I forget which model. It has a pocket for a 2 x 123-type light, another pocket for a multi-tool (I have a Leatherman Wave) and a large pocket in the back that holds my shears and some pens.

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I used to just slip it into one of the pockets on my duty pants. Fortunately I can wear navy blue Carhartts instead of ill fitting BDU's. The Carhartts have a little pocket seemingly made just for lights! :) Then someone made me a kydex sheath for my C2. It basically is a piece of kydex folded around the light with a TekLok. It is molded to the shape of the light with a little room where the rubber is so it doesn't stick when being pulled out and replaced. It is also open at the bottom so the clickie doesn't accidentally activate, and it also allows the sheath to be used with a C3.

I always thought the SF sheaths were kinda poorly designed, so I had my own made.

I also use a Maxpedition Tube Sheath for my various other SF's

Last edited:

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
Well what do you know...I just bought a Surefire E2D. It was a great deal at $100 CDN shipped to my door. I couldn't pass it up.

I figure I can use it at work untill I get some funding together to purchase a L4 or decide to put some mods on the E2D. I don't think I will be happy untill I own the entire surefire lineup! :lolsign:

Mad1

Enlightened
You could always put the KL4 (L4's head) onto it and make it an L4 that can tail stand. :)

You can buy the LED heads from all good online supplyers.

carrot

Flashaholic
Mad1 said:
You could always put the KL4 (L4's head) onto it and make it an L4 that can tail stand. :)

You can buy the LED heads from all good online supplyers.
But you don't save all that much money...

victory

Enlightened
VWTim said:
I think the E2D is overkill for your use, more likely to snag it on things. I'd personally go with either a L4 w/ a 2stage kit, or an L2. The low will work good inside, and you'll still have high when you need it to search. Alternetly an A2 might fit your bill.

I wouldn't say it's overkill, not at least with all the PCP and crackheads where i run. I carry a G2 with a G&P strike bezel. I'll soon be switching to something smaller and led though since belt space is at a premium in this profession and i can't keep gaining wait just to fit more crap on my belt.

you don't need adjustable brightness to check pupils. I've done it with the bigass rechargable streamlights on the buss. Just use the corona of the light and not the center, or carry a penlight

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, almost better to pay a few extra dollars and get the L4 instead of buying the KL4 head. I am sure the E2D incan will do fine for it's intended purpose.

petr

Banned
you need maybe two lights or an A2. One small l1e and andother m3 or something to search or....I have seen this...be the brightest light on scene when spectacular light is needed like a surgical table. Lifesaver.

victory

Enlightened
generally if we need big lights we have giant rechargable streamlights in the truck. I generally bring those out for searches and crappy neighborhoods *thunk*

Resq47

Newly Enlightened
I'm late to the party on this, but... I've carried a 6P as a primary duty light on my belt for years on primary cells. Over the past month I caught the bug and am currently using the 6P w/3.7V WE lamp + 17670 and an e2e+KL1+RCR123's. The 6P is in a belt holster (sort of like a yaqui slide for CCW) I made a few years ago for myself and the other tac-medics in my dept.

I just bought my g/f (also a FT medic) one of the LOTC G2's and the same LA + 17670 setup for trial use. If she doesn't lose it she'll get an upgrade ;)

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am also looking for a light as I will be begining EMT class in a month or so..... anyway how do the LED lights work on scene? I know LED lights work very well indoors but I thought I have heard that LED lights ted to get washed out with ambient light is this true ? I could be wrong and I probably am concitering I am new to lights like this...... Could someone set me on the right path? Also how does the brightness of the L4 compare to the brightness of the E2e?

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
skiersl9 said:
Hi, I am also looking for a light as I will be begining EMT class in a month or so..... anyway how do the LED lights work on scene? I know LED lights work very well indoors but I thought I have heard that LED lights ted to get washed out with ambient light is this true ? I could be wrong and I probably am concitering I am new to lights like this...... Could someone set me on the right path?

Yep, you're incorrect. Not a problem, we expect this from probies. Just about every firefighter in my station has a streamlight pro-poly luxeon strapped to their helmet. They wouldn't if they didn't work. There's plenty of small luxeon led lights out there with good output that will meet or exceed most of your on scene needs. For searches, you'll genreally have a big rechargable flashlight in the truck anyway.

Heres the main thing's you'll use your light for as an EMT

-First and foremost, showing it off the the other gear queers at the firehouse, so make sure you buy a cool one. You've made the correct first step by joining here.

-Checking pupils. Use the corona of the beam, not the center of your deathray megalight. That or use a pen light, but no one actually carries those.

-Finding stuff you dropped/making sure poop people leave on their lawns doesn't drop you.

-Illuminating crackhouses: I don't know about your 'hood, but around here no one pays electric when there's crack to buy. (Also see: blinding crackheads, cerebral thump)

-Giving ambient light so your medic can find a vein. Now, there's a trick to this, if you shine your light directly at the spot the medic is trying to stick, he won't be able to see poop and he'll swat you. If you try to bounce it off the ceiling, you're probably not giving enough light where it needs to be. Take the wrapper the IV bag came in and put it over your light. this will diffuse the light so it's just right.

Last edited:

a99raptors

Enlightened
Basic rule that I follow is this:

1. You need a good flood light for working. LEDs like the L4 are great for this. And yes, DO NOT use the main beam but instead use the corona to check pupillary reflexes. I tried it on a guy with a GCS <8 and he teared......
2. You also need a good throw light. Incandescents do very well here. No experience with HID because they are too big.

Another good point is that you have a backup light should one fail.

Since I am a Surefire-o-holic, some of the combinations I use are like the L4+G2, A2+L2. In my experience, one should not judge the lumen value. For instance the A2 may only be 50 lumens, but the throw and the color rendition makes it better than the 100 lumen L4 in open spaces. Similarly, a 20 lumen LED white light like an E1L is pretty darn good up close and personal especially when you are trying to work with both hands and need to clip the light in your mouth. I made the mistake of carrying the U2 for that purpose for a day....:ohgeez: Never again.

Get both, for the reasons:
1. You are on CPF:naughty:
2. You NEED them on the field!

Last edited:

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I'm still a nOOb here :candle: but this is what I have/Getting/Considering

I have found that my A2 Aviator is useful for treating pt's - both with its incandesant and the LED's.

You can use the LED's when you need some light but not enought that it will compleatly wash out the area (Make the lit are look like a white wall) and/or destroy your night vision.

I also own a G2 but find the A2 out proforms it with regards to brightness and the security of the lock out mech.

My sugestion is to get an A2 Aviator, a M3 Combatlight, And an L4.

Which order you get them is up to you but these three should cover most bases.

Plus you can use your G2 for your general purpose light or in your jump kit

Just my $0.02

Last edited: