Who likes the Jelly format?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not sure we got a whole lot out of the polls in the sense that this type of board may be difficult to create polls. From what I've been seeing these days, the owner is doing other things rather than devoting a lot of time fixing stuff on CPF as he so masterfully did after the sale. For that matter, moderators in general have been taking quite a bit of time off from my perspective. Anyone seen Archimedes? Christmas Eve day at one time there were listed 12 members on. Christmas day 11. Usually we have over 20.
I think there can be some useful polls made here I was thinking about a poll asking what percentage of lights a person has of various battery types/chemistries like 1.5v variants vs 3.7v ones. What is the most used lumens in lights and how often do you use a headlamp vs a flashlight and how often you use a cell phone for lighting vs flashlights, which keychain light type do you use and so on. A poll would be a lot more interesting as many people aren't interested in taking the time to post what their choices but would quickly click a few buttons in a poll and then be encouraged to see what everyone else says in the poll and thread. My alkaline vs other type cell usage and leakage poll and thread was pretty fun and interesting to see comments and also educational to people who didn't know the risks of using alkalines vs other chemistries and battery choices.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm not sure we got a whole lot out of the polls in the sense that this type of board may be difficult to create polls. From what I've been seeing these days, the owner is doing other things rather than devoting a lot of time fixing stuff on CPF as he so masterfully did after the sale. For that matter, moderators in general have been taking quite a bit of time off from my perspective. Anyone seen Archimedes? Christmas Eve day at one time there were listed 12 members on. Christmas day 11. Usually we have over 20.

Yep, the culture has changed significantly. I check in a few times a week to see what's new, but yeah....

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a member is put on "Report" who's to say it's not a member that's got it in for that person

I say get rid of the report button. It makes it too convenient for a vengeful member going after another for petty behavior

..or at least let it be known to the accused who's making the complaint

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a member is put on "Report" who's to say it's not a member that's got it in for that person

I say get rid of the report button. It makes it too convenient for a vengeful member going after another for petty behavior

..or at least let it be known to the accused who's making the complaint
Respectfully disagree. The moderator/admin will see that the content did not merit a report, and will see a vengeful person for what they are... If the content is clearly not appropriate for candlepowerforums, then it is justified to report regardless of whether it is a vengeful act or not. Do members sometimes not report inappropriate content? Yes they do. Do we expect all members to conduct themselves with complete impartiality? No we don't. Each of us builds a reputation based on what we write, and not write.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm a mod at a car site where the report button is used 99% of the time to report spam. Yup, good ole SPAM. Folks join up, create a thread that looks legit and "bam"……a link to free term papers, letters from Santa, low interest loans etc.

Every so often one pops up there where it's a Hatfields vs McCoys deal and more times than not it gets squashed without much issue. I've hit the report button here from time to time my own self. But not before advising said person "knock it off fella or I'll report ya". Or there was the times I got PM's with links offering me free stuff or my favorite "single Russian girls" lol.

There was an incident recently in another section that was quickly getting out of hand worse than those covid threads. That one needed to be squashed in my view. I personally didn't see anybody attacking anybody with the report button. What I saw was "guys, this fire is getting hot fast" and somebody pulled the fire alarm. It won't me, but it wasn't a surprise that somebody did.

So if I had a vote I'd say keep the report button.
Ps there are 24 members logged in currently. 200+ guests.

scout24

Flashaholic
The "Report" button has at least partially taken place of the PM's that mods and admins used to receive. Which we would then either deal with or share with other staff. The new button lets any staff logged in see the report.

nbp

Flashaholic
Also, there was always a report button; it just looked different on the old software. I think it was triangle with an exclamation mark in it, or something similar. It has been in use as long as CPF has been around.