Why such limited AA selection among premium manufacturers?

scout24

Flashaholic
I like how well my ZL's run on Eneloops, H501w, and SC80. Lots of lumens are nice when needed, but most of the time less than full blast works nicely. One of my recent favorites is the Thrunite T10, 3 mode twisty with memory. Add a pocketclip body, and it would be almost perfect. I agree that leaky alkalines may have something to do with limiting selection... Don't worry, Enrique may well be working on an AA Mako as we speak! :)

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have 3 AA based Quarks, 3 MiniMags, and an AA Quark Mini, along with 20 total NiMH, 10 Lithium AAs, and a 32 pack of Alkaline batteries.. I have two Quark 123 bodies, and two 2xCR123 lights running Li-ion and 14 cr123 batteries.

AA batteries can be shared with remotes, game controllers, blood pressure machines, cameras and misc kids toys.

CR123 sit.. for years until needed.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWM and ZL are great lights, no doubt, but what I still would still consider in the mid-priced Chinese manufacturer realm. I like their lights and have some, but I'd like to try something from these renowned American companies with the life-time warranties.

As it stands, with such limited offerings from these American companies, I actually prefer buying from 4Sevens over SWM or ZL. Even though SWM/ZL may have somewhat better build quality, 4/7s will stand behind their lights with a long warranty and good customer service.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA batteries can be shared with remotes, game controllers, blood pressure machines, cameras and misc kids toys.

CR123 sit.. for years until needed.

And that's exactly why I've completely gotten off of proprietary Li-ions for portable electronics like cameras, GPSs, etc... (even use a AA charger for my smartphone). Hate having to carry dedicated spare batts, chargers, etc. for only one device. I've been much happier having Eneloops to feed everything with huge back-up options including cannibalizing batts and store-bought alks. Using 14500s for my flashlights ain't so great, but at least it's a one-way sharing.

Not so much of an issue if I'm close to home, but the incompatibility is a PITA while traveling, and especially if off-grid, like camping.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
SWM and ZL are great lights, no doubt, but what I still would still consider in the mid-priced Chinese manufacturer realm. I like their lights and have some, but I'd like to try something from these renowned American companies with the life-time warranties.

As it stands, with such limited offerings from these American companies, I actually prefer buying from 4Sevens over SWM or ZL. Even though SWM/ZL may have somewhat better build quality, 4/7s will stand behind their lights with a long warranty and good customer service.

Service depends on the dealer unfortunately. For 4Sevens, their build quality of the AA line is mediocre at best. The attention to detail just isn't there. Now having said that, I've REALLY taken a liking to the simplicity and form factor of the Preon 1 and 2. Titanium grittiness aside, the combination of super wide flood and high CRI is great.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Service depends on the dealer unfortunately. For 4Sevens, their build quality of the AA line is mediocre at best. The attention to detail just isn't there. Now having said that, I've REALLY taken a liking to the simplicity and form factor of the Preon 1 and 2. Titanium grittiness aside, the combination of super wide flood and high CRI is great.

From my understanding, after the point of sale, if I need warranty work, I deal with 4Sevens, not the dealer I bought it from. I can't argue with the build quality comment, but I've had no troubles with any of my 4Sevens lights and they have what I want in a light, like the ability to run 14500s for power on the high-end, and moonlight with runtimes measured in hundreds of hrs. from a 1xAA on the low-end... AFAIK the only other light that comes close may be the ZL SC80 (although less lumens, and may not allow protected cells).

Also I like a warranty that runs a little longer than a year or two, and a place in the US that I know will handle my problems, if any. This is a main reason I wish SF/HDS would better cover the the AA market.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Yes the runtime bit is certainly in their favor. Depends what you want :) as this topic is about premium brand AA lights personally (just me) I don't lump the 4Sevens in it (at the AA level). Utilitarian sure, but not premium. That's all.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
No arguments from me and why I thought SWM and ZL shouldn't have been lump in either...

diesel79

Enlightened
Malkoff AA-2 Twisty with a M31N. Love this light. Run it on Eneloops.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
While most major manufacturers offer lights that run with AA's, Their flagship line of lights usually run on 18650's as this has the best power/size ratio for their powerful lights.

Though some manufacturers will make lights such as the Fenix TK41, the Olight Baton S65 and S35, the Fenix LD40, the Jetbeam PA40, (I just mentioned the bigger ones), they know most clients would opt for the smaller and more powerful light.

Case in point, the TK41, runs off 8 AA's compared to something similar in performance that runs of 2x18650's, the latter would be more convenient to lug around due to its smaller size.

AA'S are a good light to have but the flexibility of having more output in a smaller package is what sells those lights more than the traditional AA configuration lights.

I do not hate on the AA lights, in fact i have several, but these can also be upgraded to run off 14500's for better output! :)

entercpf

Newly Enlightened
So what am I missing? Why do they shun the AA market?

Maybe they're trying to score some ::read Big government contracts?

I think it would be strange to market lithium based flashlights to consumers. Since lithium batteries are anything but mainstream

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good discussion, for sure. I'd add that I am a big fan of Eneloops and so have been an avid Zebralight fan, a company which has really embraced this format... all of which adds to my disappointment about the delay of the Q50.