Why the love fest with AAA lights?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gatsby nailed it- what is the BEST flashlight? The one you have with you when you absolutely need it. PEAK SS EIGER #8 cool Medium. SS Lug Body. Durable, Bright- reliable- and it is ALWAYS in my pocket on my keychain.:grin2:

+1

And as others have noted, a nice AAA can be a work of art, a piece of jewelry. Show me anything on a keyring that looks better than a polished brass Peak Eiger.

recDNA

Flashaholic
While I can appreciate a small light, it seems that most AAA lights aren't much smaller than D10's/EZAA's, especially if you look at the ones that have clickies, etc.

For the most part, it seems like you're saving 1/2" and giving up 2-3x the battery life, and brightness.

Is the narrower form factor that significant? I dun get it.
Much lighter and with Li-Ion just as bright.

konut

Newly Enlightened
It prevents women from asking you, "Is that a flashlight in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I didn't really like AAA lights until I realized that it was difficult to carry my SS AA light in a holster on my belt or in my pockets around the office. So, I caved in and picked up a Fenix LD01 SS... I couldn't believe that it took so long for my to realize that AAA lights are fantastic for EDC! :ohgeez:I'm a full convert now... although, naturally, I still go with my 1x18650 lights for more runtime / higher output.

Simply put... the Pros: very small, unobtrusive form factor, AAA's available everywhere, eneloops are fantastic and work great with the light, tend to be inexpensive (unless you get a Ti version!).

It prevents women from asking you, "Is that a flashlight in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"
:crackup: Took the words right out of my mouth! Although, these days, I have several female friends who now ask me if I'm, "...still carrying around that flashlight in your pocket?" :eek:

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
I've tried to get used to a AA in the pocket, but they're just too bulky (except for the EZAA). AAA lights can ride in there unnoticed.

Geoff

exactly, i keep my LF2XT clipped inside my right front pocket; i love how it doesn't weigh me down or get in the way. super fast access when i need it.

to quote Flanders, "it feels like i'm wearing nothing at all!"

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened

Oh man - I love AAA lights for all the reasons people have expressed above, but after Konut's comment I'm starting to rethink why I'm not carrying around my old 4D Mag...

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have absolutely zero love for anything AA or AAA.

you don't like one of the most common battery sources available?
.....ok... :(

+1

And as others have noted, a nice AAA can be a work of art, a piece of jewelry. Show me anything on a keyring that looks better than a polished brass Peak Eiger.

how about.. say, a TI LF2XT?

Oh man - I love AAA lights for all the reasons people have expressed above, but after Konut's comment I'm starting to rethink why I'm not carrying around my old 4D Mag...

What/?!! you don't need a flashlight for that!! :devil:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
+1

A non-polished SS knurled Lug Body Eiger.:D:poke:
We could have this AAA Peakalicious lego battle all day long.:popcorn:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

They could ask if that's a flashlight in your pocket or are you just that pathetic however.

Let's see that EZAA next to the iTP EOS. iTP: Length: 66.5 mm , Diameter: 14 mm, 9 g without batteries. EZAA: Size: 83.0 x 16.6 mm, 20 grams without battery. That's twice the weight BEFORE the batteries are put in.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
They could ask if that's a flashlight in your pocket or are you just that pathetic however.

Let's see that EZAA next to the iTP EOS. iTP: Length: 66.5 mm , Diameter: 14 mm, 9 g without batteries. EZAA: Size: 83.0 x 16.6 mm, 20 grams without battery. That's twice the weight BEFORE the batteries are put in.

Not to mention roughly 75% larger in terms of volume (roughly since we are assuming each one is a perfect cyclinder, which I know they're not)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
and I don't want to bash the LF2XT, it is a beautiful light (and I do wish it came in AA), but, for example, it's 2mm shorter and 2mm narrower than an EZAA.

I guess I just wonder if people have put both AAA's and AA lights in their pocket and felt a noticable difference, or if they just go 'ooh, AAA' and buy without regards to size, because they assume it'll be significantly smaller.
I actually EDC those exact two lights (LF2XT and EZAA). Even though the LF2XT is arguably not much smaller than the EZAA, it's much lighter as most of the weight in either of those two lights is from the battery. That makes the EZ-AA perfect for in-pocket carry, but marginally too heavy for keychain, shirt pocket, or clipped-to-edge-of-pocket carry (at least IMO -- I don't like clipping lights to my pocket in general but don't mind with the LF2XT).

Also, I use the LF2XT in large part due to the customizable output and availablility of very low outputs. I actualy have three output modes (out of five) that are all LOWER than the "low" on the EZAA. In any of those modes runtime is effectively infinite so the runtime diference is moot. If I want an intermediate amount of light for a long period of time though, I'l usually opt for the EZAA on "low". If I want a burst of light to quickly find something for a few seconds at a time, either the 100% burst mode on the LF2XT, or the high on the EZAA work similarly well as each other.

IMO the comparison is a bit unfair though. AA lights with similar features as the LF2XT--such as the nitecore defender or the LF5XT (both of which I used to own)--are MUCH bulkier than the EZAA.

That said, I'd still love to see the equivalent of a "EZAAA" (very space efficient AAA light)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
my LD01 is small and light enough to go into business trousers unnoticed, i used to EDC my Raw NS but the weight of that one is noticable in my pocket while the weight of the LD01 is negligible.

Have a sanyo nimh in there with a few spares in my bag and if going out on a weekend without my bag, all EDC lights get a fresh cell from the stock of charged cells and the ones in the lights get recharged and rotated with the other cells.

on a separate note, the akoray k106's clip is perfect for discreet pocket carry in business trousers, as are the clips on the EX10 and D10.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is the narrower form factor that significant? I dun get it.

Yes, when you're carrying in the bottom of front pocket it makes a big difference. If provides some features common to larger lights and many AAAs still run on 10440 batteries.

dangee

Newly Enlightened
have you seen what a fenix LD01 Q5 aaa light can do! and runtimes! why carry anything larger in your pocket...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW... a size comparison between my smallest EDCs... The 2 on the right are the only ones small enough to pocket EDC.
dscn5819.jpg

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
3AA and 4AA , oh please no.

But I love my little microstream.

Its always around and gives me enough light to change the batteries of whatever other torch I have, if nothing else.