Would you purchase an Elzetta AAA!?

Would you be interested in a single cell AAA Elzetta?

• YES!

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • NO.

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With knowing how Elzetta designs and engineers lights, I highly doubt there will be multi modes. My hypothetical guess is that it would be like the Alphas, and its bigger brothers. 2 mode high/low by a twist cap. More tactical. Simple but very effective!

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't think people are willing to pay Elzetta prices for a AAA light. Other than Peak and Surefires ... , high cost AAA's are kind of rare.

Prometheus, McGizmo, and Tain all seem to be able to sell about as many AAA torches as they can make, at substantial price points.

LiteFlux LF2XT sure sell quick, too, even priced at 5x or 6x their original release price ... [emoji14]

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, I just a while ago had the overwhelming urge to head to REI to grab a Fenix E05 - 85 lumens.

Got there, turned around and wanted something beefer.

True story.

Perhaps something like a Pelican 1910? It's been previously described on CPF as "chunky." :D

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prometheus, McGizmo, and Tain all seem to be able to sell about as many AAA torches as they can make, at substantial price points.

LiteFlux LF2XT sure sell quick, too, even priced at 5x or 6x their original release price ... [emoji14]

Very true, but I'd consider those guys small batch, custom manufacturers.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true, but I'd consider those guys small batch, custom manufacturers.

I think theres a market for a more "general" USA AAA, but see exactly what your getting at. The lights mentioned are very niche and have very unique attributes vs something more mainstream.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah even if price were the same, I'd be more inclined to buy from (right or wrong, my perception of what is) a "more general" manufacturer, than a guy, on a forum.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah even if price were the same, I'd be more inclined to buy from (right or wrong, my perception of what is) a "more general" manufacturer, than a guy, on a forum.

Agreed. I believe more people would buy a general light vs forum light.

However, although unintentional, I have to point out for clarity of other readers that may not know. McGizmo can not be considered "a guy on a forum"...even though he technically is. :p He is an OG small production manufacturer who has made countless contributions to the hobby and has had an immaculate record of quality. He is the PK of the of the semi-custom world.

The others listed I have no experience with, but Im sure they are fine builders / moders as well as I have seen them mentioned often.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i selected "maybe". i honestly dont have a desire for a AAA flashlight. in order to get me to buy one there would have to be some kind of gimmick to it. like the 2 x AAA side by side set up in the shape of a pager, or something along the lines of the ICON carabener (spelling) that came out a few years back. otherwise, what is there to differentiate it from any of the other AAA light that i have no desire to buy?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
i selected "maybe". i honestly dont have a desire for a AAA flashlight. in order to get me to buy one there would have to be some kind of gimmick to it. like the 2 x AAA side by side set up in the shape of a pager, or something along the lines of the ICON carabener (spelling) that came out a few years back. otherwise, what is there to differentiate it from any of the other AAA light that i have no desire to buy?

The initial idea behind the thread was a made in USA, bombproof, no nonsense, works every time and feels like a bank vault with a good beam.

There is nothing under $100 for the AAA format that does this. Or at least I am aware of.

Thanks for the vote and the input. I also like the side by side format. I would love that with the option to run it with 1 cell.

That got me thinking......think of a solid, single piece version, shrunk down, of the LD50 with 2 optics. A mini brick of a light.

THAT would be cool.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing under $100 for the AAA format that does this. Or at least I am aware of.
Why would you feel this way? I have two Fenix, an E05 SS and an E99 Ti, and they are built like a tank. Granted, they are not made in the U.S. but in all other aspects I think they could even outlast myself. Beam is great with enough flood and a moderate throw for something so small. Have dropped them many times and not a single ding, head rotation still functioning flawlessly.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you feel this way? I have two Fenix, an E05 SS and an E99 Ti, and they are built like a tank. Granted, they are not made in the U.S. but in all other aspects I think they could even outlast myself. Beam is great with enough flood and a moderate throw for something so small. Have dropped them many times and not a single ding, head rotation still functioning flawlessly.

I just got an E05 today. While it appears durable, it's not even close to the durability Im trying to convey. There is also no potting and USA made was one of the original ideas. Thats why I chose Elzetta, as it's a Military grade manufacturer. The E05 is durable enough for a few years on your keychain, but it's nowhere near as durable as a beefier, potted, Elzetta AAA would be.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an E05 today. While it appears durable, it's not even close to the durability Im trying to convey. There is also no potting and USA made was one of the original ideas. Thats why I chose Elzetta, as it's a Military grade manufacturer. The E05 is durable enough for a few years on your keychain, but it's nowhere near as durable as a beefier, potted, Elzetta AAA would be.
True. Potting will make it stronger and impervious to all shocks. Understand where you are coming from bro, but I still doubt the lack of potting will be that bad. Anyway, when Elzetta do make one, I want in.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. Potting will make it stronger and impervious to all shocks. Understand where you are coming from bro, but I still doubt the lack of potting will be that bad. Anyway, when Elzetta do make one, I want in.

I want something with dual springs... something like that in an AAA light...total overkill. Minimal, but completely overbuilt to be banged on for a lifetime with a great beam.

That said, Im really liking this E05, and it also appears to be a well put together light. The build definitely gets the job done, but it's not a "smack on the wall" light. Something you truly forget about fragility. You can see the soldier points in the photo.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the only AAA lights that I consider these days are Fenix E01 lights I give to light-less friends, and the Peak something single-speed, low-output bruiser that has been on my keychain for a few years and will probably outlast me. I'm not as drawn to good AAA designs the way I am drawn to good AA designs, simply because of the difference in energy storage capacity. If Elzetta came out with a boffo AA light, I might very well consider it as long as the tint was neutral, warm, or HCRI.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was expecting many would have voted a Yes on this but was surprised to see the lukewarm response. Makes me wonder why. In my personal opinion, triple A light is always a must have on my keychain simply because many times when I come home late at night I could use it, after opening the door, to navigate around the house without switching on the lights. Although that is my primary usage, it still makes a good backup light when need be. I guess many just don't see the need for one.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i see where forrest is coming from, but i kind of equate it to pellet guns that cost more than a real rifle. a good quality pellet gun, but at the end of the day it just shoots pellets.
im going to walk you through my thought process from reading this thread...
1. hell yeah, a beefy bombproof light sounds awesome!!
2. but powered by AAA? a little more power for an overbuilt light wouldnt hurt.
3. wait, now im just checking out the full sized Elzettas.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i see where forrest is coming from, but i kind of equate it to pellet guns that cost more than a real rifle. a good quality pellet gun, but at the end of the day it just shoots pellets.
im going to walk you through my thought process from reading this thread...
1. hell yeah, a beefy bombproof light sounds awesome!!
2. but powered by AAA? a little more power for an overbuilt light wouldnt hurt.
3. wait, now im just checking out the full sized Elzettas.

Interesting insight.

Lighteous

Enlightened
Disregarding the clicky, it sounds like a non-QTC Eiger at about a level 5, in Stainless Steel.

I couldn't agree more. That describes the only Peak light that I own. I envision something similar when imagining what Elzetta would design for a AAA cell.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I was expecting many would have voted a Yes on this but was surprised to see the lukewarm response. Makes me wonder why. In my personal opinion, triple A light is always a must have on my keychain simply because many times when I come home late at night I could use it, after opening the door, to navigate around the house without switching on the lights. Although that is my primary usage, it still makes a good backup light when need be. I guess many just don't see the need for one.

Elzettas really are a specialty purpose light and probably the best one out there in the tactical category. However, I would propose that the Zebralight Sc5 (AA) will be smaller and just as durable in everyday use, but definately more practical with significantly longer run times.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys. We need to stay on topic. We are bringing many other lights into the mix, and it is unnecessary. The question is a yes or no answer. Yes I would buy a AAA Elzetta if they were to produce one, or No. Simple as that.
It's not about AA, Fenix, or sny other light.
Rant over. Come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts