Zebralight SC63 Owners: Still Loving It?

DMS1970

Enlightened
I would agree. I picked up an S1 just because it was around $14 after discount and reward points. I can't believe anyone would like that light. Horrible CW tint. Horrible UI.

It's a good thing we all like something different or we'd all be using 100 lumen maglites. I prefer the beam profile on the S1 so much I SOLD my SC52. For me warm white lights just look dim. I can't bring myself to prefer them...

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
All I will say is I have about 30 lights and quite a few customs as well. The SC63w is my first ZL and I've had it in my pocket for months now while my other lights see plenty of shelf time.
I am going to get another ZL at some point, I'd like to try out for the SC600 MK III hi. But man this 63 is so light and pocketable and can throw out crazy highs and crazy lows, I love it.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree. I picked up an S1 just because it was around $14 after discount and reward points. I can't believe anyone would like that light. Horrible CW tint. Horrible UI.
I think the Olight S1 UI is a close second behind Zebralight. Moonlight, Max, and a memorized L/M from off. I only stay away from Olight due to their poor quality.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened

Apparently we may be the only two in this boat.
I can live with this.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I think the Olight S1 UI is a close second behind Zebralight. Moonlight, Max, and a memorized L/M from off. I only stay away from Olight due to their poor quality.

I have owned 6 zebralights and about 30 Olights and not 1 issue with any. I would agree that ZL has the LOWEST (but there are some) amount of failures from everything I have read. I'm just talking out my ***, but I also bet that Olight sells a lot more units (volume) than ZL and that the frequency as a percent of sales is quite low. If people here own 1000 zebralights and 10000 olights, which would you hear more about?

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Anyone notice the switch on their sc63 or mk3 has a slightly lighter softer feel than old mk2? My mk2 has a real hard switch which I like, but my sc63 (received yesterday) seems a bit softer.

I think the sc63 begs for the xph35HI though. It's a good beam but I think the HI would make it better.

Anyone with an sc600 nk3 HI compare that beam profile to an m61?

Last edited:

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for bringing up an old thread but I'm looking into getting another light and the SC63 is one the candidates. I'd appreciate any feedback on the long term durability of this light, especially from those that have it for a year or longer. Thanks!

Keitho

Enlightened
Still carrying and using mine about every day, over a year. It is often on my helmet for bicycle riding, and spends the rest of the day in my pocket next to keys and other stuff that should scratch and otherwise beat up this light, but it still works and looks great. Still highly recommended in my eyes.

TCY

Enlightened
I apologize for bringing up an old thread but I'm looking into getting another light and the SC63 is one the candidates. I'd appreciate any feedback on the long term durability of this light, especially from those that have it for a year or longer. Thanks!

ZL is not exactly built like a tank like Malkoff or HDS, but in general it takes any abuse you give it and keeps going. I once dropped my SC62w onto concrete from chest height and the drop didn't even chip through the ano. I wouldn't worry about durability of a ZL.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SC63w and love the output, anodizing, form factor, and UI. I've always have been a Zebralight fan ever since I came across the brand. It was my EDC for a long time.

There is one thing that I do not like about this light. I am not intentionally abusive towards my lights, but for some reason I have dropped this one twice. Granted, that was through my own fault. The light itself has held up fine but both times the positive end of the battery became dented due to the impact against the pogo pins. I tend not to carry it anymore and will only occasionally use it around the house because of this. Nothing major overall, just something that bothers me about this particular model.

ven

Flashaholic

Not that long for me, usually if a light is going to fail i find it happens pretty quick with use. Its had a few knocks already, knocked onto wood floor a few times, also knocked over onto wood table/s. Nothing like some of my other lights have took, but still a reasonable shock. Ano is unmarked, shocks from drops have done nothing at all. A pet hate for me is ano that chips easy, or spot/s missing when you dont even recall how or what. ZL's ano has to be up there with some of the best, not only a break from the sea of black...............they look cool!
Nothing i dont like about it(ok ok picking holes the clip is a little blingy for me personally), everyone says how small/compact it is........................even then it will surprise you how small! The UI as said is great, i am not really a low low guy, prefer more on modes with 1 click and usable for lots of applications. Which ever floats your boat you can have . Would recommend the 4500k xhp 35 , but subjective regarding colour temps.

I also got the little sc62d for an EDC at work( i liked the sc63w that much i wanted another to try). Not bothered by the 320lm high(the H2 gets more use 145lm in work). It just works and the luxeon 5000k is nice and clean...........

Contemplating a ZL headlamp now, for complete hands free work..................would be fitted onto a hard hat though.

Quite addictive are these ZL's, i was late to the party but the strong following all makes sense. These are special little lights...................

In Jon style, sc62d 5000k/ sc63w 4500k and sc5c mkII 4000k

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
Super helpful feedback guys. Much appreciated! Thanks to @ven for sharing some photos also. :) I'm now definitely leaning on purchasing this light (hopefully will have one by end of the week from a local dealer). I still want an SC5 Mk2, budget permitting. I think I have to browse the "how to stop addiction" thread soon! :D Funny thing is, it would be cheaper to buy from ZL website directly BUT, even though China is like only 700 miles away from us (the Philippines), our postal system leaves much to be desired so no bueno. :poof:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I do like a clean 5000k mark, the little philips T hi cri is nice! That sc62d is probably my most used ZL as its in work(darker nights will help tip the other way). 320lm for 3+hrs and 145lm for a crazy 9hrs= perfect for either H1 or H2 in work. Dont need crazy, dont need step downs................just a do it all level. I really like the 4500k 35, hint of warmth there..............just enough without changing lighter colours.

The xp-l2 hi cri is nice, i like it but not enough to get another xp-l2 easy white. I would have preferred the older easywhite i think. Colours do look good, but whites look beige and i like accurate colours. Dont mind a little bump, little exaggeration etc but not an actual colour change. So jury out on the sc5c mkII right now. Also now having a couple of 18650 ZL's, i honestly see the AA lights as pointless(for me). The 18650 are tiny as is, might as well have the option of high output and run time from 18650's. Plus the 18650 tiny ZL's feel better in hand(all subjective here so just my opinion ), just feel more natural/comfy in hand when used. But i have never really been an AA fan either, just not enough in the tank for me.

Cheers khazuk, i struggle just posting without adding a pic! whoops

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
Nice pics @ven @markr6! :) I really need to learn how to take photos like that. Seems to me ZL AA lights are pretty good runtime-wise but yeah, nothing close to what a 1 x 18650 light can offer. I'd probably just wait for the mark 3 SC5. :D

ven

Flashaholic
4000-5000k would suit me, i can live with 4000k at night, anywhere between during day/evening:)

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I bought what could have been the last SC62w available about nine months ago. I like it so much that this year I bought a H600w Mk. II when they were available on sale. They are my EDC lights when I wear a jacket or coat, and at other times I'm carrying a SC32w. Great lights!