Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the Lee Zircon Filters! I got a minus quarter green on my ROT66 SST20 95 cri, and it's simply the best color rendering light I've come across, nothing is close.

NPL

Enlightened
I put one over my sc5c ii and the tint and color rendering is now perfect! Thanks for the recommendation twistedraven.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
How good is the optical efficiency on these Lee filters? I'm considering one for my H53Fc, but with the max at only 280 lumens, I wouldn't want to compromise the output too much. I'm thinking the minus green 803 or 804 would do the trick.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
How good is the optical efficiency on these Lee filters? I'm considering one for my H53Fc, but with the max at only 280 lumens, I wouldn't want to compromise the output too much. I'm thinking the minus green 803 or 804 would do the trick.
You are filtering out light (Green in my case), so yes, there is a drop in output corresponding to how much correction is applied.

For a high power light like the SC700d this is negligible, but it could be a consideration for a lower power light. However, as far as I'm concerned, it's more about the quality of the light rather than the quantity. Heck, I just got a McGizmo Sapphire AAA key ring light that is only around 5 lumens. The tint was a bit too cyan for my taste, so I filtered it with a "Pale Rose" filter and voila, it's now simply perfect. Yes, I lost perhaps half a lumen or so, so maybe 5-10% of the output, but it was worth it to me to end up with a light that now pleases me every time I use it.

It looks like Lee's new Zircon filters are made specifically for LEDs. I need to check into those.

markr6

Flashaholic
Out for delivery! Curious to see this "ugly tintshift" for myself because I don't see it in the photos.

ven

Flashaholic
Out for delivery! Curious to see this "ugly tintshift" for myself because I don't see it in the photos.

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

I am super excited for you, but i also know ..................well i will be super impressed if you like it , or its a keeper. I too have been on the fence with anything .2 . Too a point i dont own any! I know some have got some nice samples out there, but it seems to 50/50 at best getting a good one. Its a lot of bucks and then a pita to return, of a slim chance of an acceptable tint. So i await for more opinions as there will be a few lemons out there. I do love the look though, that appeals, a little beefy ZL................be an awesome dog walking light for sure. Lots of punch with broad spill..................just that darn tint loto.

Good luck, fingers crossed. Surely your due a ZL that is right of the bat for a change mark.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am super excited for you, but i also know ..................well i will be super impressed if you like it , or its a keeper. I too have been on the fence with anything .2 . Too a point i dont own any! I know some have got some nice samples out there, but it seems to 50/50 at best getting a good one. Its a lot of bucks and then a pita to return, of a slim chance of an acceptable tint. So i await for more opinions as there will be a few lemons out there. I do love the look though, that appeals, a little beefy ZL................be an awesome dog walking light for sure. Lots of punch with broad spill..................just that darn tint loto.

The SC600w MkIV Plus, with its XHP50.2 isn't too bad. Here's a white-wall shot of mine.

lQSKxH0.jpg

Not perfect, but very acceptable for outdoor use, and indoors if you're not looking for high CRI and perfect tint.

If the SC700d is better than that, it would really suck. Because, that might mean I'll have to buy it too. :takeit:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes that looks a good sample , would be happy with that. I am still on the last gen xhp50, of which i have a few, mkIII is nice and 5000k, H2r lamps are near 4000k and both are super nice.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
markr6 pointed out that I hadn't mentioned about the anodizing, which, at least on my light, is the older, lighter, somewhat green style, and it's flawless. Personally, I tend to like this lighter color a bit better, but to be honest I thought the dark gray was lovely as well.

I also forgot to mention about the electronic switch. For me it's just right, with enough tactile response to let me know when I've hit it, but not too hard, and most importantly, compared to the SC600 MkIV+, they seem to have raised the center "dot" a bit (or has the one on my SC600 MkIV+ worn down), which makes it much easier to activate when wearing thick gloves. Very nice.

markr6

Flashaholic
Mine was just delivered! I really hope it's the darker gray; I always hated the olive green and that was the reason why I never got into Zebralights until years after I learned about them. Purely aesthetics of course, but the inconsistency drove me crazy...they fixed it...now possibly back to various colors?

markr6

Flashaholic
Ahhhh!!! This anodizing is NASTY. If you have kids, you probably remember what their puke looked like after peas and spinach baby food. This thing is almost brown. Again, I HATE the inconsistency; all my other Zebralights match perfect since ~2012.

Otherwise, tint and output look good. Nice ZL quality as usual. I'm gonna have to let this one go. It may sound crazy, but I am exactly that. ZL is gonna get pissed at another return, so I guess I'll sell online.

SC700d.jpg

For comparison with the dark gray (I don't have any ZLs with me right now)
SC600a.jpg

p.s. oh heck I don't know. It's such a nice light maybe I should keep it. 21700 fits fine in the Xtar VC2 Plus (only charger I have with me right now). I sure wish it was the dark gray color. Maybe this was a fluke...I can try another later on?

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we all have things that bug us. I always found the lighter color to be a refreshing change from all the other black flashlights out there, and in particular, I've always appreciated the quality of Zebralight's anodizing, as even my oldest lights still looks like new, and they get used and abused on a regular basis.

I hope that after you get over your disappointment with the color of the anodizing that you'll take a few minutes to check out the rest of the light.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight uses natural anodizing, so color will vary unit to unit, it's just part of the process.

markr6

Flashaholic
Zebralight uses natural anodizing, so color will vary unit to unit, it's just part of the process.

Yeah that's why I mentioned the others. Since 2012 (or maybe not that far back?) they really got consistent. The process can vary a lot for dozens of reasons. I'm surprised to see such a sudden change.

Beam looks pretty nice. I think the camera exaggerates the yellow halo a bit, but it is there. It's not very noticeable in person.

SC700d_beam.jpg

Nice smooth threads. 8 pogo pins in cap, 6 in the tube.

OK one final update as I box it back up. Truly a winner here! I will definitely be buying another once/if I see the anodizing color on the "next batch". Amazing output. Nice throwy/spill mix. The tint on this one is 9/10, so hopefully I don't lose out next go around just because of the anodizing color. Yes, again, I'm insane :rolleyes:

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Zebralight indicates a light as 'backordered', are they referring only to potential new orders? Or would it also be considered backordered for preorders which have not yet been shipped?

justanotherguy

Enlightened
When Zebralight indicates a light as 'backordered', are they referring only to potential new orders? Or would it also be considered backordered for preorders which have not yet been shipped?

Since communications are minimal, you are going to have to spill some chicken guts and divine the answer yourself...

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
I preordered mine 11-27 and I emailed that exact question. They said I'll have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for mine.

So it appears they've shipped all of their first batch and are expecting another batch in 3 to 4 weeks.

Latest posts