Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not into that beam. I think I'm spoiled off flat emitters and/or optics though, where tint in beam tends to be more consistent.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh!!! This anodizing is NASTY. If you have kids, you probably remember what their puke looked like after peas and spinach baby food. This thing is almost brown. Again, I HATE the inconsistency; all my other Zebralights match perfect since ~2012.
Just to clarify, when you say the anodizing is "nasty", you are simply referring to the color that you aren't fond of, right? I mean, the actual anodizing on mine is perfectly executed.

ven

Flashaholic
You wont see it in the dark:poke: Keep it!!! If your happy with the beam/tint keep it!!!! You will regret it down the line. I kind of like it, like a champagne gold from pics. Makes it a little different. I am a fan of the darker ano as well. But i also like a little variety .

justanotherguy

Enlightened
You wont see it in the dark:poke: Keep it!!! If your happy with the beam/tint keep it!!!! You will regret it down the line. I kind of like it, like a champagne gold from pics. Makes it a little different. I am a fan of the darker ano as well. But i also like a little variety .
!!

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Zebralight's design and anodizing make them stand out from the rest. Keep it! Or send it to me :grin2:

how is about some throw comparison with SC600w IV HI before you pack it for good?

markr6

Flashaholic
Just to clarify, when you say the anodizing is "nasty", you are simply referring to the color that you aren't fond of, right? I mean, the actual anodizing on mine is perfectly executed.

Sorry that was misleading. Nasty as in the color. The anodizing quality is 100%.

Getting ready to ship this...it's hard but I gotta do it! Such an amazing light. I will be buying another as I have a feeling the anodizing will go back to "normal" in another batch. Fingers crossed.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not into that beam. I think I'm spoiled off flat emitters and/or optics though, where tint in beam tends to be more consistent.

I'm picky and don't really see any issue with this one. If you really get into it and hold it against a wall you can get a lot of variation, but other than that it's nice and even. You really have to look for this "yellowish" part.

markr6

Flashaholic
That dark gray color is just so nice though. I have too many other identical Zebralights to throw in this black sheep...or green...zebra.

I compared this to my D4S 219C a little. The D4S has a slight edge in output, but everything else on the ZL is better IMO. Just overall feel, UI, weight, etc.

markr6

Flashaholic
Mark is a true tint snob...

While that is true, I gotta say the tint on this one is great. 9 out of 10. It's the anodizing I don't like which is more gold than all my other Zebralights. I know, that's an even more pathetic excuse! I sweat the small things.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, you must renounce your association with tint snobbery and turn in your membership card! :p

Different people just have different tolerances. I remember when I first got my 219C nichia I couldn't stand it at all, while you were a bit more friendly to it.

I'm glad I've been able to find temporary peace with the SST20 offerings in Fireflies and Emisar products, but I know eventually those will even be surpassed by something.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Sitting on the counter waiting for the UPS guy to pick up. Already regretting it a little! But those little things bother me. I asked ZL about the anodizing and whether or not it was intentional. Who knows, maybe they switched the anodizing provider. A different tank, water, ph level, temp, etc. wouldn't take much.

It just looks so much like the earlier stuff that I thought it was worth asking.

Such a great light! Much nicer feel than the D4S IMO. A must have....and not just for ZL fans.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I respect your decision...and it doesn't conflict with your tint snobbery... In fact it parallels it nicely in that the physical tint if the light was off
;)

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow! When even the tint of anodizing is enough to send back a light, you're 100% correct in that statement! :eek:

Zebralight is going to cut Mark off at some point....

LOL! Didn't send it back though. I figured this would be the last straw, so I sold it instead of returning. It seemed like the right thing to do. And the buyer was one state over, so I didn't get beat up on shipping costs.

Too bad, I had a camping trip this weekend which would have been a fun test. I'm crazy.

p.s. My mind got sidetracked in all the anodizing talk and I forgot to mention how the 5000K seems nowhere near that. I'd say 4000-4500K. But it's a nice neutral tint which was my main concern.

The anodizing on the pic from BLF looks darker, but I think that may just be the lighting. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
4000-4500k, you just put this light in my radar!

I didn't do much comparing, but the ceiling shot I posted above is a pretty good indication of the CCT. But this can also vary on your monitor. It was close to my SC600w HI, but less yellow than that. I honestly can't imagine many people not liking it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Got an interesting response from ZL on the anodizing.

In summary: The source of materials contributes most to the finished color. Alcoa rods tend to have an olive/gold color. Kaiser rods tend to have a dark gray finish. ZL switched to Kaiser rods several years ago...the Kaiser rods are from the Kalamazoo MI factory. ZL uses (whatever finished color) US made rods as long as they are not way too expensive in China.

So, I feel like I have a chance at a dark gray SC700d...maybe? I feel like my best bet would be waiting for a distributor (Nkon is the only one I know of with this) and ask them to personally verify the color before buying. Or maybe ZL would oblige. Either way, a long wait is ahead.

Last edited: