Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

Nichia!

Banned
Now put smooth reflector inside and Oslon black flat and we will have a killer thrower!

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I still threw my wallet at the pre order...poor thing didn't deserve that kind of abuse...

Same here.. Couldn't pass up a new ZL! What a long wait this will be. Maybe I'll get it weeks early like last time!

markr6

Flashaholic
I wonder if any 4800 or 5000 mah cells are suitable for this light....

The Samsung 40T is 30A maximum continuous, which I'm guessing is overkill even for this light.

The 50E is only 9.8A continuous, but 5000 mAh. I'm sure it would work, but could struggle a bit on high? Not sure really.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now put smooth reflector inside and Oslon black flat and we will have a killer thrower!

I thought in similar way. I would like a dedicated Zebralight thrower. The reflector could actually be slightly larger and it still would be pretty compact.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
The Samsung 40T is 30A maximum continuous, which I'm guessing is overkill even for this light.

The 50E is only 9.8A continuous, but 5000 mAh. I'm sure it would work, but could struggle a bit on high? Not sure really.
I was unable to see in the specs the amp draw...
For some reason I feel drawn to 21700.. i almost pulled the trigger on the Wuben....

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered. There 40T cell is on backorder so I didn't include that, as who knows when it will show up. I'll use it with existing cells to start, I don't need max brightness anyway, will be interested more in investigating its other attributes.

Love that ZebraLight is making a 21700 light, I hope they do a few others with the 21700. I just happened to think to check their website today to see if they were doing anything with 21700 and there it was, with a pre-order. Don't buy new lights much any more, as I'm very happy with the ones I have and Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus is still my EDC. I'm not sure the last new light I bought, probably some of the Mk IV series.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yup they put this up 2 days ago. I had to order one after some consideration.

texas cop

Enlightened
I was unable to see in the specs the amp draw...
For some reason I feel drawn to 21700.. i almost pulled the trigger on the Wuben....

Consider the Sanyo NCR20700B, it's rated at 15 amps. 20700 is a 20.35mm battery, 21700 is a 21.1mm battery, pretty close.
I bought the Wuben A21 and it's a great light.

moozooh

Enlightened
It was 4000k now says 5000k???
Dude, please stop. Your misguided criticism and counterproductive "suggestions" don't contribute to meaningful discussion and aren't really helping anything except making you look like a frustrated person.

1. It was never 4000K. Like Bob_McBob said, all "d" ("daylight") models are 5000K.

2. ZL evidently don't care about producing "killer throwers". They've only made, like, two or three smooth-reflector models in the last 7 years or so I've been following them. They care about producing general-purpose, bright, power-efficient lights. Oslon Black Flat (which is what, 5W max?), unsurprisingly, is a poor fit for any of those—it's only useful for pencil-beam lights which are an extreme niche even among flashlight enthusiasts. I suppose you're free to mod an SC700d, but I'm not sure it sounds quite as enticing as you make it. I'm not even sure it would throw very well with such a shallow reflector.

3. The LED used in this light, 90+ CRI 5000K XHP70.2, has its maximum power draw rated at 29W—you can check it on Cree's site. Under any normal conditions (e.g. not being water-cooled or anything) it can only sustain 3000 lm for several seconds at that power before heating up and being throttled down by the PID controller to begin with. ZL tend to push their LEDs to the limit of the spec, but I don't remember them significantly exceeding it even once. But even if they did, it would still be throttled down to below 3000 instantly—so it would actually spend even less time at a high brightness as it would heat up quicker. It would also hurt battery compatibility and drastically reduce the window of battery charge state at which you can still turn the light on H1 as the side-effect owing to insane voltage sag. Why would they want that? Why would you?

Basically, what all of this suggests is that you want a completely different light from a completely different company, so you might want to visit a completely different thread instead.

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened
I like it how ZL decided to go for a bigger light to get more lumens and more runtime. Personally I find their 1x18650 lights too compact which leads to compromises. True neutral white light and color rendering improvements would be good too. Using a 21700 battery can produce more practical bigger form, but I dislike to have different batteries for different lights. However, 2x18650 probably would had been way too big. Now the question is that where is their new flood light because uniform beam is so pleasant to watch. When using a SC600Fd Mk3 for a couple years, maybe a bit less flood angle this time and a bit more throw. It is still possible to keep uniform light without obvious hotspot then?

markr6

Flashaholic
I like it how ZL decided to go for a bigger light to get more lumens and more runtime. Personally I find their 1x18650 lights too compact which leads to compromises.

I'm glad they're so compact, but even with the SC600, another larger light was certainly past due. I wish they kept the S6330 around and continued to improve that. On that note, I'm looking forward to seeing what the C3 looks like.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I really hope there is an 18650 to 21700 adapter that will fit in the ZL. I would likely get two new 2170 cells, but it would definitely be nice to have my 18650s as a working backup.

Auringonvalo, have you tried DC-Fix? In my experience, it a slightly more throwy version of ZebraLights frosted lens, with very good efficiency.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't feel a desperate desire of getting a 21700 light because there are already 18650 and 26650 battery format but I find it interesting because it's a Zebralight. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts