Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that we won't know for sure until the light is in poeple's hands... but can we expect the SC700 to have a lower lux than the SC600IV Plus based on the output, emitter size, and reflector?

We don't know, but I suspect it will be approximately the same. You're not buying these lights for lux, though.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Yes... but I already have a SC600IV Plus... so I am trying to decide if I would gain anything from the SC700 besides runtime (which is not a concern for my usage).

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at this older thread on BLF, I'm wondering if I should cancel this and wait. This was for a 4000K, but NASTY NASTY light (yellow, purple, green)

Given your dislike of off-white tints, you should probably wait. However, I have a 4600K light that uses XHP70.2, and there isn't much green in it. It's a white hotspot, mostly white corona, then a very purple spill. It's not as bad as yellow/purple/green, but it's still not great.

Yes... but I already have a SC600IV Plus... so I am trying to decide if I would gain anything from the SC700 besides runtime (which is not a concern for my usage).

Presumably, it will be able to maintain a higher output after PID settles it down to a constant temperature.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that we won't know for sure until the light is in poeple's hands... but can we expect the SC700 to have a lower lux than the SC600IV Plus based on the output, emitter size, and reflector?

Considering it's an xhp70.2 instead of an xhp50, the head is too small to give extra throw. It'll have a little bit more lux only because of its bigger output. You can almost count on a larger hotspot than the Sc600w IV plus

edit : the Klarus G20 is the closest thing on the market for reflector to emitter size and the same 3000 lumen output. Should be some beam shots and reviews on that somewhere, they are a fairly flood light

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at this older thread on BLF, I'm wondering if I should cancel this and wait. This was for a 4000K, but NASTY NASTY light (yellow, purple, green)

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/58094
Mark, I think you might be over reacting a bit.

First of all, as you know, I'm a tint geek, and what I saw in that thread didn't bother me that much. Second, that wasn't even the emitter we're getting, and third, it was tested in a light that wasn't designed for it, so of course the results were less than optimal.

I remember reading many similar dire predictions about the XHP 50.2 using the clear lens in the SC600w IV+, and that's turned out to be my favorite ZL. However, the beam is not perfect. There is a bit of a yellow cast to the corona, and maybe a slight purplish tinge at the extreme edge of the spill, but I've never once noticed those things in actually use, and I use that light every night at work.

I am, however, totally thrilled that ZL is making the "d" version of this light (5000k with 93-95 CRI) available without the frosted lens, and that they've added those two lower levels back to the UI. Think of it, being able to go from .04 lumens to 3000 lumens quickly and easily with the choice of 12 distinct levels........ and configurable to what best suits each person. WOW.

I think for many folks, the SC600w IV+ might actually be the better choice for it's smaller size, but I'm seriously hopeful that the SC700d will prove to be an even better tool for me at work. And while it's great to see beam shots and read reviews, sometimes, for me, the only way to know if something is going to work is to actually get it in my hands and try it out for a few days. My hope is that the SC700d will have the same beam profile as the SC600w IV+, although I'd consider an even broader hotspot to be a good thing.

With ZL's 30 day return policy, I feel return shipping is an acceptable price to pay if for some reason I'm not thrilled with this new light. To be honest, I had kind of expected to use that return policy when I pre-ordered the SC600w IV+, but it turned out to be so excellent that I decided to keep it, which I'm sure is what ZL hopes will happen, and why they feel secure offering that kind of liberal return policy.

In any case, I'll be interested to see what you think of ZL's newest series of lights.

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Oh man, that would be sweet

Not sure what your definition of "future" extends to, but I contacted ZebraLight about any other 2170 releases this year and they replied: "No other 21700 cell based lights (H, SC, ...) in the near future."

I'm extremely torn between this and the SC600w IV Plus. The major thing that makes me want to wait for the SC700d is the fact that I'd get my feet wet in 2170 cells, since they will be much more prominent in the long run. I don't mind the extra tube length and diameter (on paper), but that 8 mm turns me off.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm just wondering if I should cancel the 21700 cell I ordered along with my 700d. Will they not get those in time? If they don't I assume they'll hold up my order.

There's plenty of time, so I'm going with it for now, trusting they'll have those in stock by December.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just wondering if I should cancel the 21700 cell I ordered along with my 700d. Will they not get those in time? If they don't I assume they'll hold up my order.

There's plenty of time, so I'm going with it for now, trusting they'll have those in stock by December.

It's too bad this light doesn't come with an adapter, so you could use 18650 cells as well.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the 21700 cell is not a specialty item, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have them in stock when the lights are ready to ship, however, if you're really curious, simply contact ZL with your concern. I'm sure their are others on this forum that would like an answer to that question.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get this light, I'm only pre-ordering because I know I'll want to try it out personally, and I've seen how their new lights can quickly go out of stock after the first batch arrives, but hey, it's not like I don't have a few other lights to keep me happy : )

markr6

Flashaholic
Xtar site confirmed 21700 will fit in VP2.

I'll use that if I run into issues with my Opus. That VP2 is one of my favorites. I like the actual voltage readout opposed to the "speedometer" thing they have going on now.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I find with chargers is that it's really hard to get the cells out (possible ripping the wrap at the ends), if they just barely fit into the slots. I wish they'd make the slots capable of handing something like 80mm, which would give plenty of room to remove batteries.

markr6

Flashaholic
The problem I find with chargers is that it's really hard to get the cells out (possible ripping the wrap at the ends), if they just barely fit into the slots. I wish they'd make the slots capable of handing something like 80mm, which would give plenty of room to remove batteries.

It seems like every electronic device in the 80s had the ribbon under the batteries to help pop them out. What happened to that?

I guess I can cut a strip of plastic from a milk jug if I really run into issues.

Beckler

Enlightened
For the sc600 experts on here, what is the runtime and stepdown time likely to be on this new one at 3k Lm?

likethevegetable

Enlightened
It seems like every electronic device in the 80s had the ribbon under the batteries to help pop them out. What happened to that?

I guess I can cut a strip of plastic from a milk jug if I really run into issues.

I cut off a tag from a shirt and singed the end. Works as a great pull for my XTAR PB2, especially since it's covered.

markr6

Flashaholic
I cut off a tag from a shirt and singed the end. Works as a great pull for my XTAR PB2, especially since it's covered.

The PB2 is one of the toughest. I was just talking with Xtar about a few products, and specifically mentioned that.

Sorry for the OT talk!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Getting them out is only one problem. Getting them out without ripping the wrap at the positive or negative terminal is another. I usually use a plastic-coated paperclip to pry them out from the positive end, if it's in tight. That way, the wrap doesn't drag across anything that could rip it.

For the sc600 experts on here, what is the runtime and stepdown time likely to be on this new one at 3k Lm?

If it's anything like the SC600w mkIV Plus, you'll probably only get 1-2 minutes at maximum before it starts to ramp down. However, I can keep my Plus on maximum if I use it as a bike light on a cool night. The cold wind keeps PID from kicking in, and I get about 30 minutes run-time on max.

I suspect the numbers will be similar on the SC700d. Higher output means more heat and less runtime, but you have a larger body and higher capacity battery to compensate.