Zebralight update

danreetz

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see more official info from Zebralight on the H501. I lost an H50, and I'd like to replace it sometime soon. The H501 is top on my list, but I won't wait forever.

Zenster

Enlightened
I'd like to see more official info from Zebralight on the H501. I lost an H50, and I'd like to replace it sometime soon. The H501 is top on my list, but I won't wait forever.

Has anyone attempted to contact Zebra directly and ask about the H501?
They can't always monitor every thread that talks about them, so the direct approach might be more affective.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
This is a paste of the reply I got from Zebralight on 7/13:

We do have plans for an H501 which is an AA version of the H30.
However, they will be released in about 4-5 months.

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight

Not much, but its a genral timeframe.

Zenster

Enlightened
This is a paste of the reply I got from Zebralight on 7/13:

We do have plans for an H501 which is an AA version of the H30.
However, they will be released in about 4-5 months.

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight

Not much, but its a genral timeframe.

Sounds like they have plans to introduce it just in time for Christmas, 2008 (which is coming fast :santa:)

nzbazza

Enlightened
The delay in releasing the H501 is probably due to the other models they were planning to release first: the 18650 based HL the H6? and the H51 and H31.

Zenster

Enlightened
The delay in releasing the H501 is probably due to the other models they were planning to release first: the 18650 based HL the H6? and the H51 and H31.

I'm wondering if the 18650 based H6 will incorporate the battery into the light on the HL.
It seems to me that once you get to that point (in size), it's a better idea to run a thin power cord down your back attached to a battery pack on your belt.

When I think of hanging an 18650 on my forehead, what immediately comes to mind is one of the dual-beer can dispensor hats with the tubes running down to your mouth that you see at some of the ball parks... and at my family reunions. (Hey, don't be talkin' 'bout my sister like that! :crackup:)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think of hanging an 18650 on my forehead, what immediately comes to mind is one of the dual-beer can dispensor hats with the tubes running down to your mouth that you see at some of the ball parks...

The weight will save you a trip to the gym to do your neck exercises. (The dual beer can dispensers are great for lights requiring larger batteries...and they give you a better workout...:p).

jbrand1

Newly Enlightened
(Hey, don't be talkin' 'bout my sister like that! :crackup:)

threadpics.gif

oronocova

Enlightened
Hello,
This may have been mentioned somewhere else before, and this may not be the right thread to really mention it but...
I have the H50 which I really like. However, what I'd like to see is ZebraLight make some type of rotating collar which would have two locking positions over the LED. One with a collimator optic, and the other with a clear optic (ie: LED protection). That way you would have the ability to switch from flood to spot, and protect the LED at the same time. It could also be made to slide as opposed to rotating around the LED I suppose.

I'm not really going to try to make one myself. So, unless zebralight does I'll just wait on the H501 which sounds like it will be less "floody." I was hoping that the wait was going to be shorter /-:

-Jon

pbs357

Enlightened
Hello,
This may have been mentioned somewhere else before, and this may not be the right thread to really mention it but...
I have the H50 which I really like. However, what I'd like to see is ZebraLight make some type of rotating collar which would have two locking positions over the LED. One with a collimator optic, and the other with a clear optic (ie: LED protection). That way you would have the ability to switch from flood to spot, and protect the LED at the same time. It could also be made to slide as opposed to rotating around the LED I suppose.

I'm not really going to try to make one myself. So, unless zebralight does I'll just wait on the H501 which sounds like it will be less "floody." I was hoping that the wait was going to be shorter /-:

-Jon

Hey Jon, that's a great idea - I was thinking the same thing! The UK Vizion does something like this, but it only puts out about 30 lumens. The idea seems simple yet effective.

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
What's all the fuss about the weight of an 18650 light? An 18650 cell weighs about 45 grams - a AAA NiMH weighs about 13 grams. There's lots of 3xAAA front mounted headlamps out there - so that's 39 grams of batteries up front, and a cylinder is a more pace efficient design than the shape that is required to hold 3xAAA. The weight differences should be negligible at best - mere grams.

AvPD

Enlightened
I think this thread is proof that companies should never give out time estimates as it just creates impatient people.

Some people may remember Fenix giving an estimated shipping date for their first batch of E01's...

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this thread is proof that companies should never give out time estimates as it just creates impatient people.

Some people may remember Fenix giving an estimated shipping date for their first batch of E01's...
I have an H50 so I'm content with it while I patiently wait for the H501. :popcorn:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
When I use my H50 it's mostly as an area light that I'll turn on and leave on for a while. Not a lot of switching off and on. While I am looking forward to the release of the H501, I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice the smaller size of the H50 just for a switch. We'll see. Maybe the "throwier" beam will convince me.

Geoff

Illum

Flashaholic
Zebralite's specialty is the "reflector-less" design...:ohgeez:
I hope theres going to be a combination light of some sort unless they managed to integrate both flood and throw in the same reflector.

benyosh

Newly Enlightened
Foolishly left an el-cheopo alkaline in my H50 for too long...couldn't open battery tube by hand and had to use pliers because battery leaked internally. After clean-up and a new battery my H50 no workee...oh well, i wanted to get the H51 anyway.