Streamlight Key-Mate

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I subscribed a few days ago to Americna Cop Magazine and it includes a Streamlight Key-Mate. I have no experience with these. Would this be worthwhile to keep i n my pocket or are they pretty much worthless? Also, what kind of batteries does this use, are they easy to change, are they expensive, and are they pretty readily available?

carrot

Flashaholic
My dad's got one of these... he paid $20 for it at a LEO store. It's impressively bright for its size on fresh batteries, no idea how long that lasts, though. Dad tells me he can get plenty of these batteries for some spare change down in Chinatown. I can check what kind of batteries they use when I get home.

Steve C

Enlightened
It runs on four "button" cells; like hearing aid batteries, but a tad bigger. The local police supply joint/Streamlight dealer keeps them in stock. Dunno about general availability.

I bought one for the wife, to replace the original ARC AAA she kept mis-placing. I put that one up for a spare for me. Naturally, she has yet to mis-place this Key-Mate.

She's had it over a year, and uses it infrequently. I checked it this week-end; it still puts out good, usable light that equals my ARC. IIRC, it was somewhat brighter than the ARC when new. Its pretty beat-up, too; she's hard on stuff like that (throwing her keys on the nearest handy surface, in the purse, etc.).

Personally, I find it a bit too big in diameter for my sort of pocket carry; nothing beats the ARC there. But for a key ring that doesn't go in a pocket, its ideal.

Blazer

Enlightened
I've got one on my keychain and use it when I return home at night and the wife has left the porch light off, so I can't see the keyhole of the front door.

It runs on 4 L1154 button batteries. There is a name on each "VINNIC" but I don't know what that is.

It's a good little light but not to be relied on for too much other than close quarters dark use.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Key-Mate uses three LR44 button cells - "the laser pointer battery" - so batteries should be relatively easy to find and inexpensive when you do have to purchase them.

My unit measured 12,100mcd; I understand that there is an improved Key-Mate as of July 2004.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KeyMate on my keychain and it's extremely bright for it's size (I can see objects fairly well at 30ft away in my living room). I've gotten one for my fiance, mom, bro-in-law, sis-in-law, and mom-in-law and they all love it. Both my fiance and I are hard on the KeyMates we have and throw them around everywhere. Mine's is a bit scratched up on the outside finish, but all minor surface scratches and nothing taking off the finish.
I've since changed out the LED to a Nichia CS making it even brighter, close to the brightness of the 0.5W Nuwai lights. The latest models use 4x LR44 batteries. You can also use SR44 batteries which have more capacity. The batteries are fairly cheap and you can get them online for about 20-25cents.
I personally love the KeyMate for it's great combination of design (love the looks), size (no prob in my pockets), output, and runtime. Batteries aren't as common, but it's smaller than my Nuwai TM-310H with almost equal output with the Nichia CS and longer run time. I carry a primary light that's brighter with me, but the KeyMate is my backup that's always with me.

Edit: Lambda did modify the KeyMates with Lux1s, but he said it was quite difficult to do. He currently offers a SMJLED-modded version.

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened
I used to have a Key-mate. I gave it up to a friend of mine because I ordered an Arc-P. It was a nice light, very good looking, pretty small, though I think it may have the same or more volume than an Arc (even though it may not look like it). It did come through for me in a pinch a few times (trying to find my way around a tent or cooler when camping) but when a light is too troublesome to change the batteries I'd consider it no good after the initial set has run down (They're either expensive in the store, or you have to order them from the internet-> That's what I mean by troublesome.) I'm a big advocate of flashlights that take common batteries and the output is nothing compared to my fenix l0p (but what does compare to the l0p?) so this little light scores low in my books.

For a free light (if that's my understanding), you're getting something good. However if money's not an issue I'd say get an Arc-P, if pocket space is also not an issue then go for the new Peak Pacific (with it's fat head) when it comes out.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are really neat lights. Shop around and you can beat $20 quite a bit.

I bought one to put an MJLED in, but my daughter saw it and took it away from me. I bought another one, but my wife saw it and took it away from me. I bought 10 more to give as Christmas presents to the women in my extended family. My wife asked if I had enough for her to give them to the other women she works with, so I bought 10 more. Altogether this past Christmas my wife and I gave away 18 of them. I still have 2 left that I can try to mod.

carrot

Flashaholic
bjn70 said:
I bought one to put an MJLED in, but my daughter saw it and took it away from me. I bought another one, but my wife saw it and took it away from me.
:laughing:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc006309fj.jpg

dsc006314bh.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

lebox97

Enlightened
yup, most pricing I have seen is in $12-15 range.
larger diameter but lot's shorter than an ARC
replace the stock LED with a Nichia CS or Snow 29 and it rocks! :rock:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
I got one for christmas because my mother ordered a bunch of stuff from galls (me and my sis are both EMT's) and they included them as a "gift".

It replaced the crappy plastic led light I had on my key ring, Ive only used it once or twice for when i didnt have an EDC on me. I wouldnt trust my life to it, but its pretty decent for the price.

Looking to replace it with the L0P, but i'm cheap so probably the MJLED is in order.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my KeyMates for under $8.50 shipped. Keep searching, there's good prices out there. For the price and ease of changing the LED, it's a great value for output and quality. I wouldn't mind an L0P, but $48 vs. $9...err. Free is even better!