What internet browser do you use?

What internet browser do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kershaw

Enlightened
Just wondering what all the cpfers use to browse the internet. I use Firefox at home and IE at work.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use firefox mostly but use IE when I want to save webpages in a single file (.mht) format

Donovan

Enlightened
I use FireFox for most of my browsing. I also use Opera (as the main browser on my older laptop because it is faster and uses less memory). On my main pc I also use Opera as my "safe" browser to surf "dangerous" sites. I set it to emulate IE and then turn off java, javascript, cookies, plugins etc. via the quick preferences. This allows me to safely surf not so nice websites to see what exploits they are trying to run without getting infected.

What plugins does everyone use for Firefox? I used to have alot but have slimmed way down for more stability and speed. I now only have Adblock and forcastfox loaded...

carrot

Flashaholic
Donovan said:
What plugins does everyone use for Firefox? I used to have alot but have slimmed way down for more stability and speed. I now only have Adblock and forcastfox loaded...
Though I tout the extensions as one of Firefox's greatest edges over IE, I rarely use them myself, especially after a few of my favorites were built into 1.5 -- MiniT tab dragging comes to mind. And then MyCroft was built into Firefox awhile ago. Almost any extension that is "essential" is bound to be built into Firefox, anyway. Right now, I've trimmed down my extensions to just one -- Adblock, and only because I need to block all those Flash and Shockwave ads that drive me nuts. One of those session saver extensions might be nice, for those who manage to crash Firefox frequently, and if you use del.icio.us, you might appreciate the del.icio.us extensions...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like opera because I can open groups of windows at the same time. I also like the way it opens all the windows after it or the computer crashes.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Netscape all the way, including the e-mail client.

BTW ... isn'T Mozilla, FireFox and Netscape the same anyway?

bernie

Donovan

Enlightened
For those who use IE most of the time I would HIGHLY recommend you run a complete spyware/malware scan of your pc. IE is a huge magnet for all this stuff! Almost every single pc I look at that has a lot of IE use is infected.

The biggest advantage to me with Opera or Firefox is the lack of ActiveX and the rest of the security flaws so prevalent in IE. Now don't believe anyone who tells you Firefox or Opera is going to make you completely safe because that's ridiculous. BUT it is much "safer" than using IE or some other browser using IE as its foundation (AOL, Maxthon or MyIE, etc.).

If you would like to know the best way to scan for and remove malware See my old thread about removing malware below

Last edited:

jhereg

Enlightened
Mostly Opera, some Firefox & IE when I have to. I like firefox, but have grown tired of the amount of memory & CPU time it uses. I'm not a microsoft fan, but I've been reasonably impressed with IE7.

Southpaw3612

Newly Enlightened
I bought a laptop a few months back. I bought it solely on the purpose of being to run multiple programs without much lag; no luck. After reading these posts about firefox using tons of cpu mem, i think ill give opera a go. Cheers!

Empath

Flashaholic
This thread is nearly six years old, and it polls members about outdated preferences and options. It's too old to have relevancy any longer.

We'll close it to activity now. If someone wishes to pursue the topic, concerning present technologies and options, they may initiate a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.