So are you ready for the Solar Storms next year?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching a show on the discovery channel the other day about solar storms/flares and it talked about how the severity is on an 11 year cycle and the next "peak" is next year. It went on to show how just one bad flare up could knock out power for possibly the whole planet! And it may take months to get it back up and running. It would be like a super-mega EMP. Yikes! I better stock up on batteries!

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched this scary show too, but i thought i heard the year 2011, not every 11 years. I might be mistaken though, it could be next year... yikes... all those rechargable batteries wont do me much good eh? :thumbsdow
-bobby

Radio

Modulated Moderator
It is every Eleven years approximately but next year is not the peak, we are only a couple of years post trough. Still about five more years to go to peak. Wanna know about the Solar Cylce? Ask a Ham, LOL

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
Was that the "Discovery Channel's Perfect Disaster : Solar Storm"?

I just now seen that DVD on our Coffee table,My Bro just ripped it & Burned it on DVD.

Hmmm,I better go watch it,sounds Crazy!!:candle:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I'll be wating with my radio warmed up and an emergency power supply...should make for some nice skip.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 11 year cycle is right most of the time. In the early 90s there was a double peak. I was able to DX NX direct from Dubai, UAE during Desert Storm on a Sony portable from the Gulf Coast of the US.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
KDOG3 said:
...snip... severity is on an 11 year cycle and the next "peak" is next year. ...snip...

Older show - we are at/near the BOTTOM right now. - Curve is not a sine wayve - numbers are at/close to 0 most days - and they should not start rising till late NEXT year - figure 5-6 years till the next peak

As I type this, The "Effective Sun Spot NUmber" is 17, A=6 and K=0

Here is what last weeks ARRL solar report had to say

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/04/13/100/?nc=1