Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: pics of AA tube for Maglight

Very nice looking work there, Dan.
cool.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Originally posted by Azreal911:
hmmm will this let us overdrive the bulb nicely if we put in nimh's or will it blow the bulb outright. if it'll work nicely especially with nexstar bulbs, i'll take one!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if it will blow a standard bulb.
I was thinking of driving LEDs w/resistors, but now I am going to add a driver circuit(lt1932).

woodbender

Newly Enlightened

CNC Dan,
Did you actually machine the piece on a cnc lathe? If so, what machine are you running and what software do you use? I run Fadal machining centers for a living using Surfcam(converted Smartcam user). We have thought about looking into a small cnc lathe, but I'm not sure if it will happen or not. Now that I'm getting into flashlight mods, I really wish I had a lathe. I used to operate lathes periodically in a previous job, but they were cheap manual lathes. I am considering getting a cheap benchtop lathe for my garage. What model do you recommend? I am not in it for production and it would be for me to custom make my own stuff, so the tolerances can be a lot looser than what I deal with in my job. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. If you cnc the part, I'm curious to know the actual run time of the programmed part.
Thanks

Azreal911

Enlightened

hmmm will this let us overdrive the bulb nicely if we put in nimh's or will it blow the bulb outright. if it'll work nicely especially with nexstar bulbs, i'll take one!

remuen

Enlightened

Dan

I already answered your question concerning the LT1932 by return PM ...

I didn't notice what you've made is an extension tube. So I've to change my mind: Driving the LT1932 with 6 LEDs from 3 cells is no problem!

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Originally posted by remuen:
Dan

I already answered your question concerning the LT1932 by return PM ...

I didn't notice what you've made is an extension tube. So I've to change my mind: Driving the LT1932 with 6 LEDs from 3 cells is no problem!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks that's good to know. Sorry about the PM, having trouble with java script and can't get to you e-mail address.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened

That's impressive work Dan! Any chance you'd consider producing a chopped 1AA version of the 2AA minimag body? I'm looking to run one of dat2zip's MADMAX sandwiches in there. The MADMAX of course works fine with the standard 2AA minimag, but I've discovered it also works well with 1 AA also. Heh, maybe one of those 3.6V Lithium AA's would even find its way in there from time to time.

Just imagine, with this plus your extensions, we could have a 1-n cell minimag. The possibilities are endless.

mikep

Enlightened

Or how about a body for one 123 Li batt? That would be a cool companion to the MADMAX minimag.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by CNC Dan:
hear are two pics of the extention tube that I made at work.
It adds the length of one AA battry.

I may be making a slightly smaller verision to use when the maglight's switch is removed and replaced with a small circut board.

http://www2.primushost.com/~riderdan/other/AA_tube01.jpg
http://www2.primushost.com/~riderdan/other/AA_tube02.jpg
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just a few questions and comments.

1) Do you plan on selling these, and if so, how much? It would be so nice to be able to mod Mini Mags, as the Brinkmann is hard to get and so expensive.

2) Mag Lite used to make such an extension. I am sure they have a patent on this extension piece you've made, so if you advertise, be careful, or you might get into a lawsuit with Mag, which is a very litigous company (the reason why I no longer have any references to Mag on my web site).

Wayne
www.elektrolumens.com

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Originally posted by mikep:
Or how about a body for one 123 Li batt? That would be a cool companion to the MADMAX minimag.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That would be cool.

But I can't work on such a short workpice as a mag body tube.
My machines take 12 ft. bars and leave a 10" remnant. I might be able to make a shorter body tube from scratch. But that damn tripple start quick thread for the head is a *****.
I'll thhink about it and see what I can come up with.

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Originally posted by Lantern, Jack O.:
That's impressive work Dan! Any chance you'd consider producing a chopped 1AA version of the 2AA minimag body?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't work on a mag body tube but I maight be able to make a new one from scratch. But the tripple start quick therad for the head is a ***** to machine, I may need special tooling to do that.

If I do make one, it will have to be short, 1AA length. If I could get that far, then any inside diameter would be easy. I think I would have better luck making the whole flashlight from scratch. Anyone want to draw up some plans?

Just imagine, with this plus your extensions, we could have a 1-n cell minimag. The possibilities are endless.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have been thinking of making a modular LED flashlight. Pick the head, battery tube(s) and the driver. Mix and match for size/runtime/output.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened

Elektrolumens makes an excellent point. It'd be far safer to call it something other than a (name any common commercial flashlight company here) extension tube, mod, or replacement part. This is easily avoidable if we do go from scratch.

What we'd really be doing here is making an extremely flexible receptacle for Ill-Pills, MADMAX's, BADBOY's, etc..., and their various power sources.

Here's my $0.02...

Design 1 consists of:
* AA-sized head + bezel + 1 AA body + n AA extenders + AA tailcap (maybe just use off-the-shelf tailswitch)
...and if one or two of these parts happen to be interchangeable with a commercially available product, that's okay isn't it?

Design 2 consists of:
* 123-sized head + bezel + 1 123 body + 123 tailcap (+ maybe at some future date a 123 extender)

Anyone want to draw up some plans?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What form would the plans need to be in? I sort of assume you're referring to CAD drawings?

--edit--
Come to think of it, maybe a cleverly designed head and 123 body could eliminate the need for separate AA and 123 heads. The head would be threaded/sized for the AA body, and the 123 body would just have a skinny AA sized neck where it threads into the head.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
......... Mag Lite used to make such an extension. ..............

[They are] a very litigous company (the reason why I no longer have any references to Mag on my web site).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ElektroLumens, when did Mag make extension tubes ?
And what number and size of cells did they accommodate ?
I've never heard of these before.

CNC Dan,
Mag Instrument are as Wayne says, very protective of the name, etc.

Jahn

CNC Dan

Enlightened

Elektrolumens makes an excellent point. It'd be far safer to call it something other than a (name any common commercial flashlight company here) extension tube, mod, or replacement part. This is easily avoidable if we do go from scratch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">right then. I may be making aluminim tubes with a .570 ID and a .712 OD and a female 5/8-28 thread on one end and a male 5/8-28 thread on the other end.

and possibly tubes with a 11/16-20 four start thread on one end.

aren't standards great

Originally posted by CNC Dan:
Anyone want to draw up some plans?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I use mastercam v8.1 I can use files in DXF and IGES format as well.