I'm looking for a small....

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
small, small, pocket light. I'm thinking about the CR2 Ion. Is there anything else that is small with a flood like beam? I'd like to stick to AA, 123a, cr2 batteries with only primaries no rechargables.

Thanks,

Nick

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
How small, small, small can it be if it uses a AA or CR123a battery? There are excellent lights that might meet your needs using any of these batteries, but if it's hanging on your keychain or whatever, you might notice a huge difference between a small AA-based light and a CR2-based light. There's also potentially big differences in operating costs when using primaries...do you care at all if CR2's are a bit harder to find and more expensive than the higher-capacity CR123A or the weaker but ubiquitous AA?

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a size reference, the P1 or smaller would be where I want to be. Cost of cells aren't too big of a deal to me because this light won't see too much use even if it rides in my pocket. My infinity ultra is bright enough for most cases. I just thought the Ion would provide that little extra I'm looking for in a small package. However, if a 123a with multiple levels is out there I'd be very interested. That would be easier on me as far as the battery selection goes.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend the CR ION!!

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
I don't have one, but it sounds to me like the CR2 Ion is best for a keychain-sized photon-rocket nozzle. There's lots of threads dicussing this little guy...and with your lack of need for long runtime, it sounds like it might be a good fit.

highorder

Enlightened
wher is the cheapest/ best place to procure one? (CR2 Ion)

edit: answered my own question. the fenix store of course!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I love the Ion. If you're looking for a small floody light, the CR2 Ion will satisfy your needs.

X Racer

Enlightened
Now that I have more time...

The CR2 Ion is the best compromise I have found for pocket use. It lasts a long time on low, and high is easily bright enough for most chores. Especially if its a backup light.

Sure the CR123 lights are a little brighter or last longer, but they are also quite a bit bigger around. That makes them much more noticeable in the pocket, it might only be a couple more millimeters, but its very noticeable. Thats not a good trade for me, at least not for a pocket backup.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
The firefly III intrigues me, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the twist back and forth method of changing brightness. I'm going to sell my LOPse for that reason. How does it compare?

Anybody have any idea if a peirce m10 will ever be available??

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi nmiller glad to see somone here i share the same last name as assuming your last name is Miller? where are you from?

hope you find the write light

have a nice night

David Miller

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I have a pocket Body Peak CR2. Its small but I think the AAA based lights feel smaller on a keychain. They are longer but thinner, and that thinness does it for me. I would strongly suggest the Fenix LOP SE. Its a pretty floody beam but with a bit of throw to it as well. Great beam pattern really. Did I mention 3 Levels and great price.

I use a Millermods 2 level LOP and like it better than the SE. Twist a bit for low and more for high. The mod alone cost what a new LOP SE does though.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you missed it, but I already own the LOPse, and am not too crazy about the method of changing the brightness so I plan on selling it. Its too bad, because it is a great light. That is my concern for the FFIII.

hivoltage

Enlightened
I have no problem at all operating the FF3 with one hand, maybe it is the size, but it is no problem at all!!!! As far as the Pierce M10 goes, I got one and returned it. Maybe I got a dud but it had a terrible beam which from what I have read is not the norm. But they gave me a full refund with no problem at all so I sure cant knock them.