How does one get the sound from the TV to go through the speakers?

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
As usual rat shack was no help at all and I need to get an answer.

Here is what I have:
TV- modern enough to have those red white and yellow outlets

Reciever- receives the cd player, tape player , record player, and "vid 1/vid 2" info and sends it through the speakers.

How do I conect the tv to the reciever and get tv sound throught the speakers?

B@rt

Flashaholic
The red and white are tulip plugs right?
Since I'm Dutch, I know all about tulips...
grin.gif

Usually the red is the right channel, but that doesn't really matter.
Just connect the red terminal on your tv to the red terminal of either vid1 or vid2 input on your receiver. So the same with the white ones, set your receiver selector switch to the used input input, and you should have sound coming out of your speakers.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trevor-I assume you mean extending the TV audio into your Stereo/HiFi receiver?

If that's what you mean, then look on the back of your TV for "Audio-OUT" RCA jacks. Then, of course, just connect the output(s) from those jacks to the "Aux" input of your stereo receiver.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Naw, skip Aux...the reciever probably has a "TV" or "Video" in, that will be less confusing...

Also, you might want to look and see if it says "var audio out" because if it does then the audio output is, well, variable and controlled by the TV volume. If this is the case (as it alsmost always is) you need to find an option in your TVs menus to turn off the speakers, otherwise you'll have sound coming out of your nice speakers as well as the tinny speakers in your TV.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I arranged this with my TV, using the SCART socket to the amplifier of my audio system.
(Hey, whatever audio system you have, it's got to be better than the TV's speakers.) The effect was amazing !! TV is broadcast in hi-fidelity even if it's in mono.

Just remember that the TV should be inbetween the speakers for best effect.

Jahn

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
Naw, skip Aux...the reciever probably has a "TV" or "Video" in, that will be less confusing...

Also, you might want to look and see if it says "var audio out" because if it does then the audio output is, well, variable and controlled by the TV volume. If this is the case (as it alsmost always is) you need to find an option in your TVs menus to turn off the speakers, otherwise you'll have sound coming out of your nice speakers as well as the tinny speakers in your TV.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ryan, "var. audio out" is fine, but "video out" will not work, as it is for "video",-not "audio".
I.E. video jacks strictly supply video signals, and audio jacks will only supply audio. I've only been working around stereo/hi-fi for 40 years.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lightlover:
I arranged this with my TV, using the SCART socket to the amplifier of my audio system.
(Hey, whatever audio system you have, it's got to be better than the TV's speakers.) The effect was amazing !! TV is broadcast in hi-fidelity even if it's in mono.

Just remember that the TV should be inbetween the speakers for best effect.

Jahn
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're so right, Jahn-better audio has always made a given sized TV screen seem bigger, somehow.
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Misunderstanding my friend, I meant hook it up to the audio connections for "TV" or "Video" since most recievers have them and it seemed less confusing to remember "My TV is hooked up to TV" than "My TV is hooked up to Aux" but it's all really a prefrence thing!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Misunderstanding my friend, I meant hook it up to the audio connections for "TV" or "Video" since most recievers have them and it seemed less confusing to remember "My TV is hooked up to TV" than "My TV is hooked up to Aux" but it's all really a prefrence thing!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK.
smile.gif

I was just saying that if Trevor tries to take an RCA or "S" video signal out from the TV and plug that same cable into any audio jack-it simply won't work..

BTW-it's pretty unusual to find a Video out jack on all but the most expensive TVs. He probably does not have one on his set, I'm wagering.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mr.glow:
... You're so right, Jahn ...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doug,
I just had to quote that. Music to my ears !

Al has an expensive home cinema system. God forbid he posts about it and woffles on about his sub-woofers shaking the houses either side of him, etc. etc.

Jahn
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by mr.glow:
[QB]OK.
smile.gif

I was just saying that if Trevor tries to take an RCA or "S" video signal out from the TV and plug that same cable into any audio jack-it simply won't work..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure it will, he'll just get a lot of popping and hissing instead of snappy ad jingle music
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my two cents, if you are watching off the air and you want to control the volume remotely,
you can get a mini-plug to RCA cable at Radishemp -- if your TV has a headphone jack. Not as good quality as other the hookups described, but you don't have to get up to turn down the volume when the commercials come on...
--hi Jahn, how ya been?

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
The RCA jacks on the back of the TV are more than likely inputs, not outputs. If you do not have audio/video outputs (and most TVs don't), you will need another source for the audio signal - a stereo vcr will work just fine. Run the TV off the VCR, using the TV as a monitor (all channel changes will be done through the VCR) Route the signals through the receiver - most receivers that have a Video option have audio & video inputs & outputs - VCR audio & video outputs (or digital cable box, if you have on) to receiver inputs, receiver video output to TV video in RCA jack (usually yellow). Now you can select "video" on the receiver, and listen to the sound as you like.

Sam

Saaby

Flashaholic
So I've got a VCR/Reciever combo...nice idea but I wouldn't do it again.

Modern TVs can have 3 sets or more of RCA jacks. Trevor I am going to assume this TV is in your room and then make another assumption that is is 19" or smaller. This is just assumption though, I know plenty of people that have managed to cram a whole Dolby Digital setup into their bedroom so correct me if I am wrong...

It was said earlier and it's true that most TVs don't have video out, so look at your TV in the back and if there are 2 sets of RCA jacks you want the ones that are red and white, no yellow, if that applys.

BUT, they will be labeled and I am sure you have a nice flashlight to see them with so it really shouldn't be a problem decifering which is which.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
True, newer TV can have all kinds of outputs - most still have inputs only, and the better output options usually surface w/ higher end monitors, HDTV ready, etc...

The more common TVs will have Cable in (male coax), usually the standard 3 RCA connectors, then as you go up in models, you get SVHS inputs, sometimes RCA outputs (especially w/ higher end stereo TV's). Some may have true component inputs (RGB), Digital inputs, etc.. - these are usually seen on digital ready TVs/monitors.

Saaby

Flashaholic
SO have you tried it yet then? Should be quite simple. After re-reading your first post I'd say hook it to "video 1" and you can do the VCR through "Video 2"

When you are actually watching TV you can have it on "Video 1" but when you watch a movie, or when you're just listening to the TV you can go for "Video 2" that way you don't have to waste all that electricity for an image that isn'e even being watched.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
more like a loud buzzing noise that changes tone with scene.getting obnoxious when there is text.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by mr.glow:
[QB]OK.
smile.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure it will, he'll just get a lot of popping and hissing instead of snappy ad jingle music
wink.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">