Wifey wants to move to Cary, NC

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
Anyone from there? How do you like it? What type of jobs are there? <---that being my biggest concern. I've been working at a hotel on Maui for the past 6 years. The money here has been good, great benefits and I love my work enviorment. Work right now is my biggest hold up.

From what I've seen I really like it. My wife and I are pretty much homebodies and we want a nice place to raise our new baby. Thanks for the input.

Peter

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I lived in Cary for about thirty years after finishing college. We moved a couple miles down the road to Apex a few years ago. Wife wanted a new house. Cary and this whole area has been growing like crazy since the late '60's. Population was about 10K when we first got there. Now it's around 100K. It is a very nice "small town". Crime is low and services high. They have handled the growing pains pretty well. Traffic is getting a bit tedious, but it's not too bad yet. With all the growth there are lots of job opportunities, especially in service industries. Just a few miles from Cary/Apex is the Research Triangle where there are many high-tech companies (Cree is one). Jobs in the medical field are plentiful, too. Durham is known as the City of Medicine. Cary has a few hotels and Raleigh (7-10 miles away) has plenty, so there should be jobs available.

I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to just Cary, as the whole Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area has a lot going for it. Housing cost in Cary may be a bit higher than some of the other adjacent towns, but you'll find all levels throughout the area. School systems here are county wide, so all the schools are pretty much equal, and pretty highly rated. I may be a little biased since my wife has made a career in the school system (Wake County Public Schools).

I'd have to say this is a good area to raise a family. It's becoming more and more urban, but there's still a country feel. You're just a couple hours from the beach or the mountains, too. It would be a big change, but folks around here are friendly and welcoming. Ajustment would be pretty easy. If you want to PM me with any specific questions I'll be happy to try to help.

Geoff

hburner

Enlightened
You might want to consider the Greensboro area. Plenty of job opportunitys there also. There is an abundancy of hotels also. Hey its no Premeir vacation hotspot, but myself and FT are in NC so that got to be saying something good about NC!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are church going people then Cary is an absolutely wonderful place for a family to live and raise kids. My parents almost moved there(I kinda wish they did) but there wasn't much of an Orthodox congregation there so they opted to stay in our town.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Like Flying Turtle said, don't limit yourself to Cary. Basically the entire Triangle area is good to live in. We absolutely loved it there. (Durham would probably rate at the bottom of my list, but that's just me).

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
Cary, not so much,

We bought in Holly Springs, but looked in Raleigh, Fuquay, Apex, Morrisville, even Knightdale and Wake Forest.

Fuquay, Apex, and Holly Springs are growing really fast

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input guys!!! We will be flying down there in April to check it out so we can make our final decision about moving. We will definitely check out the surrounding areas also.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I spent a lot of time there in the 80's. Several telecom companies had training centers in the area.

I found it to be a different place at different times of the year.

Coming from Hawaii, you don't mund extreme humidity and high heat. You are already used to a lot of foliage, and lots of bugs are probably normal.

In NC you do get the occasional tornado and are sometimes impacted by the occasional hurricane. I don't remember how much snow you get there.

The people were generally pretty friendly. The research triangle has more of an influx of folks from the rest of the country.

Good luck.

Daniel

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
My job required me to be in Greensboro for a week and I was very impressed. That was 20 years ago and it seemed to be one of the few places in the U.S. that was still civilized.

From talking to the friendly people there it seems many people come there to visit and never leave.