Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

BrightGal

Banned
Received my L0D CE from the Fenix-Store today and here are my quick look impressions:

Reflector – deeper and has a smaller diameter at the front than does the L0P SE or L0D with lux emitter; surface (texture) of L0D CE reflector appears same as in previous Fenix AAA Lux-based models.

Beam – spill area is narrow than my lux-based LOD or L0P SE (not surprising based on smaller diameter of reflector); the hotspot is also slightly smaller. Beam is relatively smooth without what I would call actual rings; yet, it does not appear to me as smooth as AAA lux-based models.

Brightness – I was most interested in how the L0D CE running on a Energizer lithium primary battery would compare with an lux L0D running on a lithium ion 10440 rechargeable battery. On all settings, the lux L0D appeared brighter to me; but, I don't have a light meter. However, when the L0D CE was run with a lithium ion 10440, it left the lux L0D way behind. This CE based light is insanely bright when running on a lithium ion rechargeable. However, on the high setting my light gets very hot in just a few seconds.

Runtimes: Unknown; I'll rely on others here.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix L0D CE – A quick first look and my impressions

Thanks for the review,
Good to know the CE version is close to the brightness of the Lux version running lithium-ion cells. No overheating problems and considerably longer runtimes are a bonus. Have you tried it on a NiMH AAA?

Free

Enlightened
Where can you get the charger for the 10440? I notice that it is out of stock at Lighthound.

BrightGal

Banned
BentHeadTX said:
Thanks for the review,
Good to know the CE version is close to the brightness of the Lux version running lithium-ion cells. No overheating problems and considerably longer runtimes are a bonus. Have you tried it on a NiMH AAA?

I did try a NiMH briefly -- no apparent change from using an Energizer lithium.

I did not mean to leave the impression that the L0D CE running on an Energizer primary was nearly as bright as the lux-based L0D running on a lithium ion rechargable though... I only have my eyes to go by; but, when my eyeballs can tell the lux L0D on a lithium ion is clearly brigher than the L0D CE on an Enigerizer primary, the real difference in brightness could be significant.

Last edited:

BrightGal

Banned
Free said:
Where can you get the charger for the 10440? I notice that it is out of stock at Lighthound.

I got mine from AW. He has a battery sales thread in the Dealers' Forum and the chargers are in there too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what about comparing the CE to the LOP with the same battery, 2x as bright?
Is the physical size the same?

BrightGal

Banned
IsaacHayes said:
So what about comparing the CE to the LOP with the same battery, 2x as bright?
Is the physical size the same?

Same physical size and shape. Don't know if it's twice as bright when using liIon; but, it's clearly significantly brighter. I would say almost twice as bright by my eyes. Sorry, I don't have a light meter.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
A comparison of the L0D CE on primary vs the L0D on high with both on NiMH would be greatly appreciated.

One of the things I don't like about my L0P SE is that the total beam angle is so wide that the spill is pretty dim and unusable. It sounds like I'll be happier with the L0D CE that I ordered.

Thanks for posting the first report on the L0D CE!

Mike

BrightGal

Banned
Mike abcd said:
A comparison of the L0D CE on primary vs the L0D on high with both on NiMH would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Mike, the L0D CE is brighter on NiMH compared to the lux-based L0D also on NiMH and this is clearly discernable with just my eyeballs. This is true for all three brightness levels and not just primary. If I had to guess, I say that Fenix only changed the emitter and reflector for the L0D CE; but, that is pure speculation on my part.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant comparing both with say a NiMH the cree should be 2x as bright. Any route it's brighter so that's cool :) Thanks.

Mike: yeah the cree should have a ton of spill since the led it'self throws more light out the front and less towards the reflector. Even un-focused the spill is bright since there is so many lumens coming out. That's one reason why I like the XRE for small EDC lights, as the spill is so strong, it's good for upclose work. The P4/luxeon puts more light into the reflector, and those are good for larger lights where you want more throw.

Mike abcd

Enlightened

BrightGal said:
Mike, the L0D CE is brighter on NiMH compared to the lux-based L0D also on NiMH and this is clearly discernable with just my eyeballs. This is true for all three brightness levels and not just primary. If I had to guess, I say that Fenix only changed the emitter and reflector for the L0D CE; but, that is pure speculation on my part.

Thanks. I definitely expect it to be brighter but thought the Cree on primary vs the Lux on high might help in judging just how much brighter. I'd expect the Lux to win but hopefully the difference won't be huge.

Mike

BrightGal

Banned
Mike abcd said:
Thanks. I definitely expect it to be brighter but thought the Cree on primary vs the Lux on high might help in judging just how much brighter. I'd expect the Lux to win but hopefully the difference won't be huge.

Mike

Ah thanks, I did not read your first request correctly; my fault, it was clearly stated.

The Cree on primary is not as bright as the lux on high when both are running on NiMHs. But, I would not call the lux significantly brighter; just brighter.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Many thanks! That comparison and your comments about the beam hot spot and spill help a LOT. It sounds like what I was hoping for.

I've got a P1D CE and actually like the how bright the spill is while still having good throw and hot spot size. My L0P SE seems to be an under performer and after the spill is spread over the large total beam angle, I find it pretty useless.

Mike

txmatt

Enlightened
Let's try these quick and dirty beamshots. I haven't figured out how to post/host pics with my new ISP so here they are on Flickr. If someone can embed these in this thread, feel free...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38142466@N00/

Left to right
L0D CE High, L1Pv2.5, Arc AAAp
all running Lithium primaries

mayo

Newly Enlightened
BrightGal, I'm curious to know how hot you feel it gets on high with an Energizer lithium.

Thanks

BrightGal

Banned
My L0D CE only gets warm on high when running on Energizer lithium or NiMH batteries mayo. I would not fear running it continuously.

My light gets hot as hell in just a few seconds when on high and running on a lithium ion 10440 though.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks BrightGal & txmatt.

From the description it seems the L0D-CE only comes with a keychain attachment. I ordered a pocket clip seperately. Did I do the right thing?

I have no intention of clipping the L0D-CE to my pocket but all the AA/AAA lights need a user supplied anti-roll device.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

When running 10400 li-ion, can you go to lower modes, or is it always bright/max?

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened

txmatt said:
Let's try these quick and dirty beamshots. I haven't figured out how to post/host pics with my new ISP so here they are on Flickr. If someone can embed these in this thread, feel free...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38142466@N00/

Left to right
L0D CE High, L1Pv2.5, Arc AAAp
all running Lithium primaries
Nice pictures. Thanks. It looks like the L0D-CE is as bright as the L1P. Very impressive.