Streamlight ProPoly is good but....

Gaffle

Enlightened
What about something brighter?? I bought the propoly because it could use NiMH. I am a recharge kind of guy. Well, something brighter would be very nice. Brighter, and still EDC. Right now the propoly hangs out in my haversack instead of my pocket. I know it is hard to find small lights that use AA, so I am going more towards a light that uses RCR123s. Bring on the suggestions!!

luigi

Enlightened
If you want to be a LED light you can check the following models that are way brighter than the ProPoly:

Fenix P1DCE
Fenix L1DCE
LumaPower M1
LumaPower D-Mini
Huntlight with Cree

In Incadescents you have several, a Pila GL3 is a great option at 200 lumen for a nice price.

Luigi

Gryloc

Enlightened
For $15, you could have a flashlight with superior quality, a great beam that is really bright, and long life! I am talking about the ProPoly modified, but only if you are up to modifying your lights. I recently modified my ProPoly 4AA with a Seoul P4 and the result is beautiful! It has the same beam pattern as the original ProPoly, but is 2 or 3 time brighter. In addition, you get the same great long runtimes!

Just visit here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149149
If you try it, if you have questions, leave a post. I can help you through it if you would like.

I guess if you do not want to bother modifying your light, you can try other flashlights instead. I just wanted to promote modifying the great flashlight with a high-tech LED that will give you nice results. The ProPoly has a beautiful, deep reflector and the SSC P4 is bright and mates up with it well. Well, good luck!

-Tony

Gryloc

Enlightened
Why can't you mod? With a minimum of a rotary cutting tool (with cutting disks), a soldering iron, and a hobby knife, you can do that mod. It takes a bit of patience, but I think the mod is relatively easy. This mod would be even easier (since you are just replacing the LED) if you did not have to do the little cutting. Oh well. That is cool. That is why you have the rest of us at CPF!

Gaffle

Enlightened
Grylock, thanks for that info. I will have to try that mod. Good thing the propoly isn't super expensive.

Still, I would like something a little more EDCish. Something that can run on RCR123. I would only use RCR123 or NiMH. I thought MattK would have blasted out a few suggestions by now.:whistle:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I suggest find a light that uses the 18650 ( size of 2 123a's) rechargables. Much easier to live with, and a lot more total power. The rcr123's are a pain- and have half the power of a regular 123. I have both types of rcr123's (3.7 volt and 3.0 volt)... the 18650 and 17650 are just so much better.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a Maxfire with the Cree dropin offered in Dealer's Corner might be a nice combo. You could run it on 2x123s, 2xR123s or 1 17670 or with a little bit of work, you could run it on an 18650.

Not sure how the heat issue would be for prolonged use though...