The A2 Aviator - Do I want one?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been thinking of getting one. I'm not really a fan of incandescent lights anymore since the Crees' and Seouls' came out but a regulated incandescent is appealing. Can someone give me opinions on actual output/runtime. 50lumens seems kinda low. Anyway, I'd love to find a black HA version. And I'm really suprised no one has come out with a LED tower module for one, since the body already has the regulator, correct? Together with the Aviatrix, that would make a poor mans' Kroma...

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
Been thinking of getting one. I'm not really a fan of incandescent lights anymore since the Crees' and Seouls' came out but a regulated incandescent is appealing. Can someone give me opinions on actual output/runtime. 50lumens seems kinda low. Anyway, I'd love to find a black HA version. And I'm really suprised no one has come out with a LED tower module for one, since the body already has the regulator, correct? Together with the Aviatrix, that would make a poor mans' Kroma...
poor mans kroma?? the A2 costs $200, aviatrix $50, and probably another $50 if you get someone to build a LED module to match the regulator on the A2.
and thats being conservative with the latter.
so basically, better get a kroma right away.

edit: reading into the kroma again, i'm reminded i NEED one of those things! now if only the primary beam was a bit more efficient; would've loved some 8-10 hours on 50 lumens!

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
The A2 is two light technologies in one. Not many lights can make that claim.

The incan is regulated, nice bright light toward the end. The LED part won't knock your socks off, but it is there if you need it. The chicken's upgrades make it truly versatile.

The Kroma is indeed unique. I have the non-mil spec version on its way.

CanadaBright

Newly Enlightened
The A2 Aviator - Do I want one?

In a word - Yes.

I just got mine a few days ago and am completley impressed. I was only an LED guy, but after using this light (mind you it is still early in the game, I could still find faults) I see why people like the incans.

Last night it was foggy out, and the incan of the A2 cut through it MUCH better than any LED I had to compare it to.

Now, hopefully the rechargable option I have coming works. I need guilt free lumens to play with.

DM51

Flashaholic
Or more...
A2x8.jpg

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
You of course want one. Even if its just to have for collectors sake.

Most people get it in white, but I find red to be a great tool. Its nice to have enough light not to stub your toe, but not so much that you can't see a darn thing after you turn it off (of course with more pressure you get that option :p).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief! Thats' madness! LOL!

Optics HQ sells them for $150 to CPFers....I'll have to check with them. I'm not saying I'm gonna get one, but I'm thinking about it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Optics HQ sells them for $150 to CPFers....I'll have to check with them. I'm not saying I'm gonna get one, but I'm thinking about it.
OK, you've had enough time to think about it. :grin2:

The only remaining question is: which LED color version are you going to buy?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'm going to get one. I'd like to, but I'm also looking at the Kroma, M3 combatlight, another black KL1, etc.... I'm terminal with this affliction.

defusion

Enlightened
I don't know if I'm going to get one. I'd like to, but I'm also looking at the Kroma, M3 combatlight, another black KL1, etc.... I'm terminal with this affliction.
heh, basicaly my surefire wishlist!
i've got the M3, but really NEED the kroma, and the new cree'ed L1

Yota

Newly Enlightened
Yes you need one! Your in luck I have one for sell!
PM sent!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Real Poor man's Kroma = Coast V6 Dual Chip Recon model.

6 LEDs. 3 white, 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 green. The blue and the green LEDs have dark rings. 1 switch near the head for each color. Price = $40. Commonly found at Radioshack.

Smaller than a Mil Spec Kroma. But not really worth it.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh, no black HA round bodies, huh? Oh well. I guess I better stick to a Kroma Mil-spec. I just plopped my SSC-P4 modded L1 in the For Sale forums to help fund it...

Illum

Flashaholic
yes, you need one...we all need one:twothumbs

some people cannot perceive the true power and versatility of the A2 because of its limited throw and function capabilities compared to the recent bump of the CREE or higher output incandescent lights...but Im sure you'll know what I mean after you give it some time ;)

edit: nevermind...

Last edited: