Anything compare to SF M6 for less $?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really looking to buy a SF M6. I want to know if there is any other options for an incan/LED light of SF quality and just as bright or brighter with the same basic (or close) size and excellent beam quality. I prefer Incan, but I am open to multi-LEDs as well as customs/mods. I don't mind the Mag-modded lights, but I want to know about other options as well. Or should I just get an M6. Right now, I have an opportunity to get a new M6 for 300.00. Help me spend my money for a really well built/super bright light!!! :)

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
$300 is an excellent price for a new Surefire M6, i'd snap it up before somebody else does.

Yes, it's possible to build or buy a modded flashlight that's brighter than the M6 for that price, but you won't get anything near the build quality.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's a great price Socom.

Even a 13V WE Rattlesnake is going to be $175ish. I'd say go for the M6.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured it is about the best price I will find on one new from a brick and mortar shop. I did buy the M6 (on layaway, pay off the balance and pick it up next week!!!). Thanks for all your input. I am still interested in other lights like the M6, so if any of you have any other ideas for this thread, keep 'em coming.

P.S. Patriot, I LOVE my new U2 from you. It is now my main EDC. :thumbsup:

That's a great price Socom.

Even a 13V WE Rattlesnake is going to be $175ish. I'd say go for the M6.

Last edited:

tussery

Enlightened
Mag85 mod would compare to a M6 if not be brighter than the MN21. They are pretty simple to make with a Fivemega socket or a little knowledge of soldering.

mdocod

Flashaholic
$300 into a magmod could have rechargability, more runtime, and substantially more light.... but not the same form factor... The lure of the M6 is tough...

here's some other ~$300 ideas though:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-118-6380
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-118-6373
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-20-73-6230
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-17-74-6236

If I had $300 to spend, I might wait patiently for a leefbody of preferred size and build up a 18650 powered sf/leef light. For $300 you can be rechargeable and comparatively bright in a very reliable light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I figured it is about the best price I will find on one new from a brick and mortar shop. Thanks for all your input. I am still interested in other lights like the M6, so if any of you have any other ideas for this thread, keep ,em coming.

P.S. Patriot, I LOVE my new U2 from you. It is now my main EDC. :thumbsup:

Ahh...very cool socom. :cool: How about that power selector ring...smoooooth! I'm very happy that it went to someone who can appreciate it. :)

mdocod posted some good ideas, I just think the Wolf eyes multi-LEDs come up short in the pure enjoyment factor. I know that you like precision quality lights and I'm not sure that the WE is going light your fire the way a M6 will. If you want to make gobbs of light in a small package the Boxer24w is way more exciting than the WE multi-leds imo. (not trying to offend owners of them btw) I just haven't seen any real enthusiast reviews of them.

Duc Nguyen

Newly Enlightened
Hi Socom1970,

I have M6 and EYJ legion 3-Cree. If you have a chance take a look at the EYJ legion 3-Cree on Dealextreme.com $175.0 , it use 6 of RCR123 . compared this one with M6 they are close , M6 has a little more throw but the EYJ has variable output and 40 to 50 minutes at hi.

Duc

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi Socom1970,

I have M6 and EYJ legion 3-Cree. If you have a chance take a look at the EYJ legion 3-Cree on Dealextreme.com $175.0 , it use 6 of RCR123 . compared this one with M6 they are close , M6 has a little more throw but the EYJ has variable output and 40 to 50 minutes at hi.

Duc

Well, that's a new one to me. Appearance wise, it doesn't look too bad. I guess what I mean is that it's more attractive than the WE multi-leds imo. They definitly took some styling traits from the M6. Still, $175 bucks isn't pocket change, for me at least.

Daekar

Enlightened
Unless you want to snap up the M6 just because of the good price and have a desire to burn through batteries, I'd say just build yourself a 2D ROP. You'll get at least 50% more lumens out the front with rechargable capabilities, you can have almost whatever kind of beam you want thanks to the myriad reflectors out there, and you can get at least the same runtime without the damage of thermal shutdown inherent in the M6. If you build a 2C ROP with AW's lithium-ion "C" cells, you can have DOUBLE the runtime in a nice small form factor with 50% more light. For less money. Unless you need the "tactical" part of the M6, I don't know why you'd get one, save for a fantastically cool mod host.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did get the M6 because I could not resist it for the price. I love everything about it, and the fact of it being on sale at my neighborhood hardware store was too good to pass up. Also, I like the LA options for it, (125 Lumens-2.5hrs., 250 Lumens-1hr., 500 Lumens-0.25hrs as well as a HOLA from Lumens Factory that works with six RCR123's). However, I am very interested in the 2D ROP. I definately want more info on that!!!

Unless you want to snap up the M6 just because of the good price and have a desire to burn through batteries, I'd say just build yourself a 2D ROP. You'll get at least 50% more lumens out the front with rechargable capabilities, you can have almost whatever kind of beam you want thanks to the myriad reflectors out there, and you can get at least the same runtime without the damage of thermal shutdown inherent in the M6. If you build a 2C ROP with AW's lithium-ion "C" cells, you can have DOUBLE the runtime in a nice small form factor with 50% more light. For less money. Unless you need the "tactical" part of the M6, I don't know why you'd get one, save for a fantastically cool mod host.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M300 Lion and a SF M6. Both are great lights and I would not part with either. If you want a lot of flood and rechargeable the M300 is a great choice. The M6 is also marvelous. I´d get both.

P.S. My only other incans besides those two are the A2 Aviator and the WE Raider. I would not do without those either.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the 10X will cost $150 more than the M6 (considering the $300 price stated) but I suppose you'll save on batteries. Then again, $150 would buy a lot of primaries.

Regards,
Tempest